This is an archive of the Wivenhoe Forum hyperlocal community messageboard. It ran from 2010-2020.

This archive will be permanently deleted on 31st December 2021.

Posting is disabled.

Wivenhoe Station || Artst Makeover

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in facilitating a group of local artists to revamp the station at Wivenhoe. Looking for creative ideas for the distastefully coloured (at present) overpass in particular. I've been told there are quite a few artists living here in this town. It would be a good project to co-create and collaborate on. Wondering if anyone is keen to be involved. I'd be happy to set up weekly/biweekly/monthly meetings to discuss strategies and throw some ideas around.

Cheers,

Comments

• Satanama said:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in facilitating a group of local artists to revamp the station at Wivenhoe. Looking for creative ideas for the distastefully coloured (at present) overpass in particular. I've been told there are quite a few artists living here in this town. It would be a good project to co-create and collaborate on. Wondering if anyone is keen to be involved. I'd be happy to set up weekly/biweekly/monthly meetings to discuss strategies and throw some ideas around.

Cheers,

Satanama,

As you intend working in a live railway environment, especially the footbridge, you will need Network Rail's permissions. In the first instance, you should contact Tim Axten (see details below):

New enquiries: [email protected]
    Tel: 020 3356 2510

Asset Protection
    Network Rail
    1 Stratford Place (11th floor)
    Montfichet Road
    Stratford
    London
    E20 1EJ

Asset Protection project manager: Tim Axten

They will not tell you what to do, you will need to have a well thought out proposal detailing not only what you want to do but also how you intend to do it on a step by step basis. You will need to compile a site specific risk assessment especially identifying risk to the railway, their customers, staff, assets and infrastructure. And following on from that, a site specific method statement (Work Package Plan/Task Briefing sheet in their parlance). Railway companies and train operating companies are very brand sensitive so before you spend too much time on it, contact them and see if they are prepared in principle to allow you to do what you propose. They are some of the documents you will need to provide. Also, anyone working on the bridge will probably have to attend a Network Rail safety course and have their certification.

I'm not trying to put you off as I think its a good suggestion but there are loads of hoops to jump through and NR will probably also require payment for their Asset Protection people to review and hopefully approve the documentation as well as a certain amount of management/supervision.

Good Luck

Don't let the bastards grind you down
    Great idea Satanama
  • Satanama said:
    Hi Everyone,

Cheers,

Satanama,

As you intend working in a live railway environment, especially the footbridge, you will need Network Rail's permissions. In the first instance, you should contact Tim Axten (see details below):

New enquiries: [email protected]
    Tel: 020 3356 2510

Asset Protection
    Network Rail
    1 Stratford Place (11th floor)
    Montfichet Road
    Stratford
    London
    E20 1EJ

Asset Protection project manager: Tim Axten

They will not tell you what to do, you will need to have a well thought out proposal detailing not only what you want to do but also how you intend to do it on a step by step basis. You will need to compile a site specific risk assessment especially identifying risk to the railway, their customers, staff, assets and infrastructure. And following on from that, a site specific method statement (Work Package Plan/Task Briefing sheet in their parlance). Railway companies and train operating companies are very brand sensitive so before you spend too much time on it, contact them and see if they are prepared in principle to allow you to do what you propose. They are some of the documents you will need to provide. Also, anyone working on the bridge will probably have to attend a Network Rail safety course and have their certification.

I'm not trying to put you off as I think its a good suggestion but there are loads of hoops to jump through and NR will probably also require payment for their Asset Protection people to review and hopefully approve the documentation as well as a certain amount of management/supervision.

Good Luck

• Great leads, thanks for these posts. Will check them out...Watch this space!
  • Sounds like fun, I have worked on murals before, the first one being at Earlsfield Station in London.  Would love to be involved in some way.
  • edited April 2018
    Thanks Steph, I'm going to get in touch with rail authorities to find out the process involved. Then hopefully, we can allow the creativity to flow. If anyone here has any insights into dealing with the station, please post your ideas/experience/suggestions here. 

• Satanama said:
    Hi Everyone,

Cheers,

Have you contacted Off the Rails for advice?
  • Might be worth thinking about possible grants too, perhaps like 

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/what-we-do/supporting-arts-museums-and-libraries
  • Good feedback,

Yes, the project needs organisation, perseverance, patience, vision and faith. I don't think it's a one person job. I imagine the community would appreciate a decent welcoming into the village, as opposed to a derelict looking overpass that is tasteless to say the least.

Given this is a town of artists...where are you all? Let's get out of the comfort of our living rooms and make add some beauty around town.

We'll only succeed in this if we pull together our resources and connections. The fact that one of you know Tim Axe from network rail is great, someone else mentioned 'off the rails,' Steph has worked on a similar project in London!...Here we can see the collective intelligence of this community come alive: as we 'put it out there' so to speak, then hopefully we'll have some more leads and someone's bound to know someone with some influence and bonza!

I think the purpose of this project is to cultivate community strength and spirit. The vision is to co-create a work that galvanizes the artistic identity of this area.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcome at this stage.

All the best
  • edited April 2018
    Here is some inspiration I came across....

• As we get towards summer there are quite a lot of community events, fairs, markets, open events etc, many of which would likely host a stall, perhaps a way to kick start the community aspect of this would be to get a small initial group together to work on an attractive/interactive etc display/stall for taking to some if those and generating interest?  Quite a bit of admin needed first to see what is viable rail bosses wise, and identify sources of funding and their criteria, happy to contribute on admin side too, but not sure how much time I can put aside, hopefully many hands will make light work?

• Any chance of resurrecting the graffiti?  

Slightly before my time

"We're still angry, a bit."

Sure to be corrected as I may have got that wrong.
  • edited April 2018
    As a rough guide, the Brixton Road bridge redesign clocked in at £10,000.

No breakdown has been given as to how much of this went as a fee for the winning entry, and how much for the actual work.

Decent new design though, if a little fnarr, fnarr.

• edited April 2018
    I think this is a good idea but there’s nothing wrong with knowing procedures and potential issues in advance. 

ChrisAndRebecca: I think Unjiniyela was trying to be helpful (I don’t know him or her).

• Indeed, Stargazer, Thanks. I'll support anything which benefits the community but I didn't want people to spend a lot of time and effort on something without getting some sort of agreement in principle from Network Rail. I work full time in London so I wouldn't be in a position to contribute time wise. However, I'd be more than happy to look over any technical proposal once its put together and advise accordingly. Again, Network Rail have probably got certain standards that they'd be happy to issue if approached (see previous contact details).
  • Liking the Loughborough Junction one. I doubt the external of the footbridge would be painted though. 
  • Again offering helpful advice on the subject and in no way critising the intent. Most of the examples shown so far are either road under rail bridges or footbridges over roads. The footbridge at Wiv is over an operational railway and one that is electrified at 25,000v and as such there are stringent rules about how and when 'works' can take place. Any activity on the outside of the bridge will almost certainly require scaffolding which will have to be erected and removed in the very limited non traffic hours on the railway, (probably the best time is the 48 hour shutdown on Christmas and Boxing Days)!. Any closures outwith the planned (potentially up to 2 years in advance) possessions already agreed will come at a cost to those wishing to undertake the works. That is not to say that work on the footbridge couldn't be programmed but it could be quite difficult to achieve.

The limited access to such structures is one reason why in many cases they don't always look their best or are covered in a very long lasting finish that requires little or no on going maintenance.

My advice would be to consider something that can be achieved without any impact on the operational railway (i.e. away from the tracks), as that will be much easier and quicker to deliver. 
  • Maybe the Clacton bound wall?

The footbridge was only painted a few years back as well.
  • Part of the Clacton bound wall is used for art displays organised by Off the Rails - which bit did you have in mind Motza? 

If anything comes of this, since views on what looks good and what does not vary, would Wivenhoe residents get a say on any proposed project? Reaching consensus might however be difficult!
  • Alfie1014 said:
    Again offering helpful advice on the subject and in no way critising the intent. Most of the examples shown so far are either road under rail bridges or footbridges over roads. The footbridge at Wiv is over an operational railway and one that is electrified at 25,000v and as such there are stringent rules about how and when 'works' can take place. Any activity on the outside of the bridge will almost certainly require scaffolding which will have to be erected and removed in the very limited non traffic hours on the railway, (probably the best time is the 48 hour shutdown on Christmas and Boxing Days)!. Any closures outwith the planned (potentially up to 2 years in advance) possessions already agreed will come at a cost to those wishing to undertake the works. That is not to say that work on the footbridge couldn't be programmed but it could be quite difficult to achieve.

The limited access to such structures is one reason why in many cases they don't always look their best or are covered in a very long lasting finish that requires little or no on going maintenance.

My advice would be to consider something that can be achieved without any impact on the operational railway (i.e. away from the tracks), as that will be much easier and quicker to deliver. 

All very valid points Alfie1014
  • This is a lovely idea. Do get in touch with us at Off the Rails ([email protected]) and we can tell you who to get in touch with. All sorts of possibilities for enhancing the arts presence at Wivenhoe Station.
  • Just an Update:

Unjiniyela said:

- I tried calling Tim, but he wasn't around yesterday. Will try again today.

OfftheRails said:
    This is a lovely idea. Do get in touch with us at Off the Rails ([email protected]) and we can tell you who to get in touch with. All sorts of possibilities for enhancing the arts presence at Wivenhoe Station.

- Just sent an e-mail

Poopdecker said:
    If anything comes of this, since views on what looks good and what does not vary, would Wivenhoe residents get a say on any proposed project? Reaching consensus might however be difficult!

- One approach would be to announce to the community that we'd be meeting several times to go over various concepts/proposals. Those that are interested enough to get involved will have some input. Others don't have input, and that's that.

Motza said: Maybe the Clacton bound wall?

- I'm interested to know which bit as well?

Thanks.

• A little more inspiration for what is possible.