This is an archive of the Wivenhoe Forum hyperlocal community messageboard. It ran from 2010-2020.

This archive will be permanently deleted on 31st December 2021.

Posting is disabled.

Peak Froggery

The Wildlife Garden pond is currently teeming with Frogs, with dozens of croaking males awaiting receptive females, and audible at several metres' range. In fact, there has been copious frogspawn in the pond for a couple of weeks, laid during the last warm spell, but the cooler weather sent the frogs either away into cover, or down to the depths of the water to avoid the risk of freezing. But with temperatures rising again, they are back, although probably only for another day or two if you want to see them. Approach the pond slowly, but even then they are likely to see you and dive: it just needs a little patience when it is warm, as they will soon be back at the surface ready to pounce...

Comments

• Superb Chris!

We all stand together!
  • Boom boom boom, boom boom boom, boom boom boom boom boom. Just love frogs, definitely spring has sprung!
  • Lovely photos Chris!  Apologies for my ignorance bur would you tell me where the Garden Pond is?

• No problem. It's in the small, gated wildlife garden along the edge of the King George gold, just behind he Scout Hut, which is just behind the Council Offices. It's a delightful enclave of serenity and nature cure in a mad world...
  • This may be the wrong place for this but I but I've been frozen out of posting a 'new discussion' (something to do with 'garden.community.something.?). Anyway: I have a small wildlife garden in Heath Road made 18 months ago by Rowland George Gardens. It includes a small pond, possible a third of the size of the Wildlife Garden pond. 10 days ago I saw a male libellula depressa darter/chaser there. Definite i/d though it was my first. A few days later a female, and a couple days after that another female. Each female repeatedly touched the water with the tip of her abdomen. In the meantime, over the last week 12, yes twelve, hollowed out nymphs of what my book shows as hawkers have appeared on the pond plants. I am astounded to have so many, and in so young, and small, a pond, and puzzled that I have not seen any hawkers around my pond. At first I assumed the nymphs were l.depressas, but seemingly not. I told Chris the other day about the male l.depressa, but things have moved fast since then! All observations very gratefully received.    
  • This may be the wrong place for this but I but I've been frozen out of posting a 'new discussion' (something to do with 'garden.community.something.?). Anyway: I have a small wildlife garden in Heath Road made 18 months ago by Rowland George Gardens. It includes a small pond, possible a third of the size of the Wildlife Garden pond. 10 days ago I saw a male libellula depressa darter/chaser there. Definite i/d though it was my first. A few days later a female, and a couple days after that another female. Each female repeatedly touched the water with the tip of her abdomen. In the meantime, over the last week 12, yes twelve, hollowed out nymphs of what my book shows as hawkers have appeared on the pond plants. I am astounded to have so many, and in so young, and small, a pond, and puzzled that I have not seen any hawkers around my pond. At first I assumed the nymphs were l.depressas, but seemingly not. I told Chris the other day about the male l.depressa, but things have moved fast since then! All observations very gratefully received.    

19 nymphs now, with one fully developed hawker, definitely hawker, possibly emperor though by my book the abdomen is blue whereas this one is brown, and another, identical, in the process of developing. I hoped someone like Chris or Glynn could come up (104 Heath Road) and see and photograph these creatures and confirm, or correct, the identification, but I don't have phone numbers and am not sure that my messages are in the right place to be seen(what does 'quote' signify?) and it is Sunday morning. I have taken photos of course but they may not be any good. 
  • 10.30 last night three toads sitting in the bird bath. No room for any more.