Outdoor Gym

I should like to thank WTC and CBC and whoever else has been involved in installing the outdoor gym at Lower Lodge Farm.  A 20 minute walk through beautiful Wivenhoe Woods, 30 mins on the various pieces of equipment gazing up at the blue sky through the oak leaves or looking out across the river, then a 20 min walk back through the woods again beats a stressful drive round the busy roundabouts to Haven road, and 30 mins of loud music and fluorescent lights and a drive back.

Don't get me wrong, Gymophobics have done this previous non-mover proud, but the fresh air alternative is better for the environment and my mental & physical well-being.  Very grateful.

Comments

• It was a joint effort between CBC and WTC, and some funding was provided by Tesco under their 'Bags of Help' initiative, which essentially channels the money charged for plastic bags back into the Community.

Please enjoy the facility.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• It is lovely to have this in our area. 
  • Where is Lower Lodge Farm and the gym?
  • mollyc said:
    Where is Lower Lodge Farm and the gym?
    It’s just off Dixon way . 
  • Walk long the seawall towards Colchester, cross the railway crossing on your right, walk diagonally to your left up the hill and voila, there it is, another Wivenhoe hidden gem. M
  • Cllr Mark Cory worked very hard in raising the money for this project . Mark found funding from elsewhere And he did a fantastic job in delivering it . Already there are plans to fund two more gyms . And with the support Mark has in the town I hopeful that they will be delivered . Well done Mark . 
  • Thanks Shaun, it was your idea after all. 

But apart from you and Mike, WTC weren't supportive and told me to find funding elsewhere. 

I got money from Colchester Borough Council's community enabling fund and money from Tesco Bags of Help scheme.

It took a number of attempts and a few hurdles, but now it is a lovely place to exercise. 

I still want to improve access to the area so that more people can use it. 

The football goals need to be fully replaced and maybe a specific dog exercise area created. 

Any thoughts or help welcomed. 

Mark 
  • MarkCory said:
    Thanks Shaun, it was your idea after all. 

But apart from you and Mike, WTC weren't supportive and told me to find funding elsewhere. 

I got money from Colchester Borough Council's community enabling fund and money from Tesco Bags of Help scheme.

It took a number of attempts and a few hurdles, but now it is a lovely place to exercise. 

I still want to improve access to the area so that more people can use it. 

The football goals need to be fully replaced and maybe a specific dog exercise area created. 

Any thoughts or help welcomed. 

Mark 

If access really is such an issue (I'm not convinced) could we please make it vaguely environmentally friendly ?

Boardwalks if you must, but please, no more tarmac.

Thanks to all involved, definitely worth shouting about;  bit of a hidden Gem.

Sorry, Gym.

• Please no more restrictions on where you can excercise dogs. It is a wonderful area to walk round in a circle with other well behaved dogs, and see them enjoying running off the lead. Another dog waste bin near the bottom corner would be a good idea.
  • MarkCory said:

Why would a specific dog exercise area be needed?
    I've never seen dogs causing a problem in that area, but if there have been complaints don't think a special area would help.
    Same thing would happen as in the other park which has a notice saying dogs should be on a lead except in dog exercise area.
    People would ignore sign and dogs would still run around off lead.
    If a dog is causing a problem it should be identified (ie photo) and reported to dog warden.
  • Fixing the goal posts at Henrietta would be great.