Bernard Jenkin Watch

edited November 5 in General Wivenhoe Talk
For information; 

Our very own MP filibusted (talked too long for a vote to be passed) to block a bill lowering the voting age to 16. There is suspicion that this was done for party political motives and not in the best interests of his constituents. Bernard Jenkin said lowering the voting age would be a 'great mistake'. 

Obviously there will be a variety of views but I thought it only right to remind constituents of how to contact Mr Jenkin in the event that they have a concern about his representation of your views in Parliament. MPs have to respond to all constituency matters. 

Advice on how to contact all of the people serving our interests can be found here. 

https://www.writetothem.com

Comments

• Mr Jenkin is also against proportional representation, remaining part of the EU, controlling neonic pesticides which kill bees & other pollinators, and many other indicators of an advanced & enlightened society. When I wrote to him about the former he argued that the FPTP system encouraged 'strong & stable' Government, only a few months after his party had to enter into a dubious arrangement with the DUP to stay in power. Very disheartening. :(

• Filibustering should be banned, if you don't like the bill being debated then come up with a persuasive argument, don't throw a childish hissy fit and refuse to move. It seems to be something we've picked up from over the Atlantic.
  • Agree with the above, here's an interesting article on another offender of the genre. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/philip-davies-filibuster-domestic-violence-a7479266.html

• Sadly the shameful technique isn't just the preserve of the Tories.

But Bernie is an arse for playing the party political game on such a key matter.

• Do you know the fascinating TheyWorkForYou website? They make it simple to keep an eye on your MP, showing factually how he/she’s voted on issues, what was said in debates, EXPENSES claimed, donations (gifts including ‘shooting weekends’ etc). Here’s the site for our MP:

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10312/bernard_jenkin/harwich_and_north_essex

• Puffin, I have to take issue with some of your comments posted.

.Bernard Jenkin may not be your favourite person in the world, but please don't jump to conclusions about the European Union. We had a Democratic Vote last year. You may not like the result of the E.U. Referendum but we have to accept it as a Nation and attempt to make the best of Brexit. We need to be upbeat and optimistic. How would you feel if the Labour Party was prevented from forming a Government with a Democratic Mandate because of negativity and vocal opposition? We have a Democracy. Please think before you make these statements. Brexit has not happened yet. The European Union has failed to deal with myriad problems...the Italian Banking crisis may well worsen...there is no functioning government in Germany at this point in time and the Greek people were shafted by the IMF whilst the European Union were complicit. Have an open mind! Please be positive about the future!

• edited November 9
    72GEORGE said:

Puffin, I have to take issue with some of your comments posted.

.Bernard Jenkin may not be your favourite person in the world, but please don't jump to conclusions about the European Union. We had a Democratic Vote last year. You may not like the result of the E.U. Referendum but we have to accept it as a Nation and attempt to make the best of Brexit. We need to be upbeat and optimistic. How would you feel if the Labour Party was prevented from forming a Government with a Democratic Mandate because of negativity and vocal opposition? We have a Democracy. Please think before you make these statements. Brexit has not happened yet. The European Union has failed to deal with myriad problems...the Italian Banking crisis may well worsen...there is no functioning government in Germany at this point in time and the Greek people were shafted by the IMF whilst the European Union were complicit. Have an open mind! Please be positive about the future!

The lovely thing about democracy is: you don't have to accept the outcome of a democratic vote, as long as you obey the rule of law.

The anti-Europeans (who were left wing, mostly) didn't simply roll over in 1975, they kept up the pressure to leave the then EEC and later the EU. Ultimately, they were successful in their campaign. But, this doesn't mean leaving the EU is a done deal: another democratic vote could keep us in.

Both Conservative and Labour governments face "negativity and vocal opposition". We have an adversarial political system, "negativity" is a vital ingredient (love it or loathe it). If we loathe it sufficiently we can have a democratic vote to change the system.
  • "The lovely thing about democracy is: you don't have to accept the outcome of a democratic vote, as long as you obey the rule of law"

What a very selfish point of view that is.

I have participated in many democratic elections in many different formats. I've picked the winning side sometimes and the losing side at other times. when I've picked the losing side, i've drawn a line under it, accepted that more people with a different point of view than mine have prevailed and then I've got on with it. That is my understanding of the way democracy is supposed to work, otherwise we descend into anarchy and dictatorship. The next time around, Id hope more people will agree with my point of view.

• "Selfish"?

We do not stop political campaigning after a vote, no matter who wins the day. Democracy is a never ending process.

Currently, we have the ability to change the government every five years (or so). It might not be a perfect system, but it's a process most of us accept (myself included).
  • @Unjiniyela.Spot on.

You think someone who misunderstands democracy is "spot on"?

Have a word with yourself...
  • "The lovely thing about democracy is: you don't have to accept the outcome of a democratic vote, as long as you obey the rule of law"

What a very selfish point of view that is.

????

How is that selfish?

Do you even read what you write?

By your logic if you picked the 'losing' side in one election you'd vote for the party that 'won' in the next.

Anarchy and dictatorship are the opposite of each other by the way, so it is logically impossible to 'descend into anarchy and dictatorship'

"The next time around, Id hope more people will agree with my point of view."
    Because that ^ isn't selfish

Lol - if you're a troll, then i give you 5/10 for effort.
  • I can't think of anything worse than having to watch Bernard Jenkins......
  • In response to Horsey1's constructive comment...Jeremy "Albert Steptoe" Corbyn isn't much of a looker either... :) :)
  • And as for Tom Watson...
  • And Dianne Abbott
  • Agree with underthebridge and Liam on this one. Democracy is a continual cycle in which elections are just markers of the popular will at a point in time. Our system is "adversarial", so the debate continues after votes have been cast in the hope of thrashing out the best plans and ideas. That may or may not work in practice, but nothing in our system demands one merely "accept" any election result.

• One can keep close tabs on and pull-up ones MP without it being a debate on left v right or Brexit v Remain. 

Liam C is right, democracy doesn't stop happening when the votes are announced. Or is someone suggesting that we just let them off the hook if an MP is caught threatening our citizen's security, having private meetings with heads of state or turns out to be a sex pest? 

It saddens me that so many people on here revert to tired, tabloid cliches in an attempt to devalue the more thoughtful discussion but hey, let's why not have some fun....

Q: What's the one EU law you're looking forward to us scrapping in 2019? Go on, tell me. 

• I'm going to have to hurry you.....
  • Part of the problem is that there is far too much legislation imposed by the EU in the first place...We could do with fewer laws across the board, not a myriad more...

Oh, and Mike, I have a question for you...how many of our local Regional MEPs can you actually name? No cheating by Googling them either!
  • Don't feed the troll...   ;)
  • I assume you are referring to me, Puffin?  :)
  • Why are your views any more important than mine? I am a Wivenhoe resident, just like you...
  • Still waiting for a response... 
  • 72GEORGE said:
    Still waiting for a response... 
    As are we. If there are so many laws to get rid of, i’d Like you to tell us about a few of them, rather than just one, though.
  • Fact is nobody can come up with an EU law they would like to get rid of that is : 
    A. not actually a law (a Johnson lie) or
    B. not actually a UK originated law, or one that we have flexibility on, should we choose to impolement it, or
    C. something which is just good sense (environmental protection, animal welfare, workers rights, anti-discrimination etc) that nobody could possibly reasonably object to. I don't count 'Dyson objections', seeking to enhance his own personal wealth by screwing the world as valid.

• kstkst
    edited November 15
    It's policies that matter, anyway a thread about a non local mp and leader of the brain dead opposition has been closed because he's not local. How is EU laws discussions  acceptable ?

Edit:
    Got it - Left Wing Defense 
  • kst said:
    It's policies that matter, anyway a thread about a non local mp and leader of the brain dead opposition has been closed because he's not local. How is EU laws discussions  acceptable ?

EU laws affect us, non local MPs don't

you're welcome :)

• Fact is nobody can come up with an EU law they would like to get rid of that is : 
    A. not actually a law (a Johnson lie) or
    B. not actually a UK originated law, or one that we have flexibility on, should we choose to impolement it, or
    C. something which is just good sense (environmental protection, animal welfare, workers rights, anti-discrimination etc) that nobody could possibly reasonably object to. I don't count 'Dyson objections', seeking to enhance his own personal wealth by screwing the world as valid.

I guess you meant B. not actually a EU originated law?

Anyway, I'll happily give you 
    Regulation 450/2009 (The 'Active and Intelligent Materials and Articles' Regulation

When you next waste time trying to find whether that particular piece of plastic film should go in the recycling or the rubbish, that's the Reg. that's the cause.