Remembrance Road Closure Clarification?

Hello all, 

I spotted this notice of a road closure today on the High Street, but I’m a little confused as to whether it means Saturday (11 November aka Remembrance Day) or Sunday (12th Nov aka Remembrance Sunday) or even both?  Can anyone enlighten me?

thanks

Steph

Comments

• Sunday 12th November is correct, should read Remembrance Sunday, road is open as normal on Saturday.
  • All,

The road will be closed, as stated, on Sunday 12 November to allow the procession to move from the Congregational Church to St Mary's Church for the Service.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• edited November 3
    thanks both, I was planning to use the road at that time on remembrance day and I am relieved it will not be closed.

@MikeNewton  “as stated” - I take issue with you there, the sign stated the 12th and also remembrance day, but since remembrance day is the 11th it was unclear which of the two  was in error.  If it had only stated “12th Nov” or stated “Remembrance Sunday” I would not have needed clarification!
  • Steph said:
    thanks both, I was planning to use the road at that time on remembrance day and I am relieved it will not be closed.

@MikeNewton  “as stated” - I take issue with you there, the sign stated the 12th and also remembrance day, but since remembrance day is the 11th it was unclear which of the two  was in error.  If it had only stated “12th Nov” or stated “Remembrance Sunday” I would not have needed clarification!

The sign says on the bottom line:

SUN 12th NOV - REMEMBRANCE DAY

The only issue is whether Remembrance Day is the correct terminology.

Personally, I would rather Remembrance day were celebrated on 11 November, whatever day of the week that was, as it is throughout Europe. 

Nevertheless, I look forward to playing my part this year on the Sunday.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• @MikeNewman

Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday are two different things, but in years where the 11th is a Sunday they also happen to coincide.  I have never heard the Sunday referred to as Remembrance Day except when it was the 11th.  The article linked below (from 2016) may be a bit simplistic as it is aimed at children, but CBBC newround seemed a better quality reference than Wikipedia.

”Armistice Day is on 11 November and is also known as Remembrance Day. “

”There is also Remembrance Sunday every year, which falls on the second Sunday in November.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/15492752

The sign contained a contradiction, which part was in error was unclear, I asked for clarification because I was unable to determine from that sign whether the road woukd be closed on Saturday or Sunday.   I can’t quite believe this thread is still continuing, but I resent your implication that I should have known “Remembrance Day” meant the 12th.
  • Steph said:

The sign contained a contradiction, which part was in error was unclear, I asked for clarification because I was unable to determine from that sign whether the road woukd be closed on Saturday or Sunday.   I can’t quite believe this thread is still continuing, but I resent your implication that I should have known “Remembrance Day” meant the 12th.
    This thread is continuing as you are making such ridiculous comments following Mike's note to clarify and confirm the date... Having asked for this confirmation you then for some reason took 'issue' with him providing it and have followed this up by saying he is implying you should have known something when he is clearly just highlighting where the issue in the sign is....

Very sad to see this attack on someone who was just trying to help...
  • Quite Wivres totally agree.
  • Maybe we should just leave it there,  folks. Remembrance day is also about peace. ..
  • kstkst
    edited November 4
    nitpicking
  • From the Grauniad website:

Prince Charles to lay Remembrance Sunday wreath on Queen's behalf

"It is the first time the Queen will be present at the Remembrance Day service and not lay a wreath."

"The Remembrance Day service would require the elderly couple to stand for a significant amount of time."