Schools

I don't obviously want to name the school concerned, but do others think that in this day and age, kids shouldn't be made to do PE in their underwear when they haven't got their PE kit? 

Comments

• edited November 2
    This could be hugely damaging - not to mention horribly demeaning - to a young kid (especially if not having kit wasn't entirely their fault) and no doubt, in this voraciously litigious age, casts a light of suspicion on the presiding teacher... 

BUT...

A rigid policy of only being allowed to wear expensive monogrammed school kit is equally cruel on parents with low incomes who might otherwise source perfectly suitable clothing of the right type and even colour.

I'd much rather the school put an emphasis on mutual respect and the rewards for good self discipline rather than slavish compliance.
  • I'm not sure which school we're talking about, but the price of a polo shirt for Broomgrove is hardly going to break the bank.
  • Jason said:
    I'm not sure which school we're talking about, but the price of a polo shirt for Broomgrove is hardly going to break the bank.
    Likewise for Millfields PE shirt.

Back on topic, humiliation (which is what it is) as punishment for forgetfulness is completely wrong. Even in the early 80s we just used something from lost property if we forgot. If this happened to my child I would be v angry with the school.
  • kstkst
    edited November 2
    Jason said:
    I'm not sure which school we're talking about, but the price of a polo shirt for Broomgrove is hardly going to break the bank.

It does if you happen to be in the position of having to use  a Food bank. ( nothing to do with the original poster of this thread)

What has this to do with the price of a PE kit ?
    Still TOTALLY WRONG.

• I agree times have changed, and childhood has changed a lot so have ideas of discipline.  At my Primary School what the @Sarah83 described was standard, but would find it unusual now because even then I don’t think it was very effective quite apart from any other considerations of appropriateness  - I think the idea was that nobody got out of PE unless they had a medical excuse via parental/guardian letter, but given many of us wore long t-shirts and trainers (with skirts/trousers!) to school anyway, for those who didn’t see a need to remember their kit, it didn’t seem a big enough deal to encourage them much.  I can only remember it as anecdotal, not as happening in my class, and only for PE inside the school, never outdoor or down the road at the community playing field.

As to lost property in the ‘80s I to recall that in the infants when I was 7, but lost property tended to be the smaller “outgrown” items that might fit a 4 or 5 year old so none of it ever fitted me.

As for now, I would be surprised by such a policy, it seems to open a school to risk of accusations of something improper, and so rather pointless.  I would not, however, be surprised at rumours of such going around a playground, or even a threat to that effect?  I do think there are better options for instilling self discipline and ensuring every pupil participates etc, but I don’t think I’d regard it automatically as sinister, just ill advised and pointless.  I would raise the issue with a school as a “did you think this through?” type query.
  • Sarah83 said:
    I don't obviously want to name the school concerned, but do others think that in this day and age, kids shouldn't be made to do PE in their underwear when they haven't got their PE kit? 

PE in their underwear? I can't imagine that this was really the case? More like a child was told to wear an ill-fitting spare kit. Of course, the fault doesn't belong with the parents or child, it must be the teacher's fault. Thank heavens I am now retired, I wouldn't last a day in a modern UK state school.
  • Bertie said:
    Sarah83 said:

PE in their underwear? I can't imagine that this was really the case? More like a child was told to wear an ill-fitting spare kit. Of course, the fault doesn't belong with the parents or child, it must be the teacher's fault. Thank heavens I am now retired, I wouldn't last a day in a modern UK state school.
    It was definitely the case! I'm not saying it's not my daughter's fault for not having kit, but having to do it in her underwear? 
  • I assume you havespoken to the school @Sarah83. What was their explanation? 
  • I haven't spoken to the school yet
  • I do think that speaking to the school should be the first option, not "trial and condemnation by internet."
    This has never happened at the school I work at. We usually manage to find spare kit. Not necessarily what the children want to wear! Can't speak for other schools though. 
    Your child may have been embarrassed, but you forgot to send their kit into school.
  • JayRay said:
    I do think that speaking to the school should be the first option, not "trial and condemnation by internet."
    This has never happened at the school I work at. We usually manage to find spare kit. Not necessarily what the children want to wear! Can't speak for other schools though. 
    Your child may have been embarrassed, but you forgot to send their kit into school.
    Lets not worry about any psychological damage that could be caused
  • JayRay said:
    I didn't forget to send her kit into school - she's old enough to remember for herself 
  • Moira said:
    I assume you havespoken to the school @Sarah83. What was their explanation? 
    I've had a response from the school now.  Apparently a lot of the girls wear modesty shorts under their skirts, and the teacher and thought that was the case with my daughter, as before with other girls they've just done the lesson in their modesty shorts if they didn't have their kit. So my daughter just ended up having to take her uniform off as she was told and doing the lesson in her underwear 
  • I had to do PE in vest and pants once back in the 70s thanks to a slightly sadistic teacher. Hasn't damaged me at all... wibble... but I think people knew ritual humiliation of children was a bit wrong  even 40 years ago.

To be honest I wouldn't be happy with the 'explanation' offered as surely someone responsible for safeguarding children would not allow this to happen nowadays even by mistake. 
  • HazelH said:
    To be honest I wouldn't be happy with the 'explanation' offered as surely someone responsible for safeguarding children would not allow this to happen nowadays even by mistake. 
    And it's not the first time its happened, either (well, first time for my daughter, but it's happened to other kids).
  • Sarah83 said:
    HazelH said:
    And it's not the first time its happened, either (well, first time for my daughter, but it's happened to other kids).

I'm quite taken aback to be honest Sarah. I apologise for the incorrect assumptions I made earlier in the thread. Is the adult leading the PE sessions a teacher or a PE instructor from another organisation?
  • She's a teacher 
  • Sarah83 said:
    She's a teacher 

An NQT perhaps? It can be pretty overwhelming at times during one's first year & seemingly obvious things can quite easily slip through the net. Sorry, I am desperately trying to justify and explain how a teacher could make such a naïve mistake. Either way, the school can't allow it to happen again.
  • She's not newly qualified. I think she's just particularly strict. And particularly fed up with my daughter and wanted to make an example out of her