Vandalism along Wivenhoe Trail

Hi there, my husband has just returned from walking our dog through the woods along by the river only to tell me some horrible news. He crossed the train track from the Lower Lodge Farm (venny) field side on to the river side and turned left back on the track through the woods into Wivenhoe, so away from University. He said that en route he saw at least a dozen trees that have been spray painted with the initials 'DH' on the trunks. Unbelievably disgusting behaviour by God knows who. A 'DH' obviously. 

Comments

• These damn youth need to get their act together! This behaviour is completely unacceptable.
  • It’s not great, but we have different ideas about what is “horrible” news and “unbelievably disgusting”. The trees will be fine.
  • PSG said:
    It’s not great, but we have different ideas about what is “horrible” news and “unbelievably disgusting”. The trees will be fine.
    PSG said:
    It’s not great, but we have different ideas about what is “horrible” news and “unbelievably disgusting”. The trees will be fine.
    Really? PSG, you think it’s okay? It’s this ‘no boundaries ‘ attitude that gives idiots the idea that vandalism is okay. Dear God I hope that they spray paint your car ‘It will be okay’ and then see your bleeding heart liberal view wash away. This attitude makes me sick, even  more so than the idiot that sprays trees, at least they have proved they don’t have s brain. 
  • Sorry if my terminology wasn't quite right. I realise in the grand scheme of wars and famine it pales into insignificance. I thought it was awful, simple as that. 
  • I've seen it so many times - 'low level crime', left unchallenged, becomes the norm and rapidly escalates into more serious crime which is so much more difficult and expensive to deal with.
    It's just another example of a short term view which leads to far more serious repercussions later on - a problem which is rife throughout our country. 
  • Wonder what the initials DH stand for. I can only think of one, but not allowed to say here....

It is not the persons name either but he must be one to display his identity....

• I saw the graffiti today, its such a shame,lets hope there isn't any lasting damage to the trees.
  • Wonder what the initials DH stand for. I can only think of one, but not allowed to say here....

It is not the persons name either but he must be one to display his identity....

Banksy??

• On 27 trees. 
  • It is very sad that people chose to vandalise our beautiful natural landscape.

I've just walked down the trail myself and will now report it to our zone warden. 

I don't think it damages the tree necessarily, but it looks terrible and maybe a struggle to clean off. I will see what the team can do.

I will also feed it into the Police, they may have information on 'DH'.

Thanks

Mark 
  • Is there a danger that trying to clean it off could do damage to the trees?
  • Is there a danger that trying to clean it off could do damage to the trees?
    That was also a concern I had. 
    I am hoping for an update from the zones team tomorrow. 
  • Hopefully the winter weather might be able to help out, as a route of 'least intervention'...?
  • I suspect that the DH refers to a Police Officer.

There has been some graffiti on the entrance to the tunnel which leads under the railway from the wivenhoe trail to the woods for quite a while (wivenhoe trail side) and it has PC xx. where xx is the full name of the person concerned and the initials are DH

Dont know why they would put this everywhere though.

• edited October 30
    This may provide extra clues about the identity of the idiot or idiots who did this....  DH apparently stands for "Dan H" - and "Dan H" may or may not have a friend whose initials are "PC".
    Not much help on its own, but it might narrow things down if somebody already has a suspect in mind ....

• AWoolie said:
    I suspect that the DH refers to a Police Officer.

There has been some graffiti on the entrance to the tunnel which leads under the railway from the wivenhoe trail to the woods for quite a while (wivenhoe trail side) and it has PC xx. where xx is the full name of the person concerned and the initials are DH

Dont know why they would put this everywhere though.

Have just done a quick google. 

PC Dan Heard whose name is graffiti'ed on the tunnel has a photo attributed to him in the EADT following a drugs raid in Brightlingsea. I assume the DH everywhere else relates to the same person.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/police-carry-out-drugs-raid-in-brightlingsea-1-4987413
  • pitfall said:
    I've seen it so many times - 'low level crime', left unchallenged, becomes the norm and rapidly escalates into more serious crime which is so much more difficult and expensive to deal with.
    It's just another example of a short term view which leads to far more serious repercussions later on - a problem which is rife throughout our country. 

Agreed Pitfall. A strong response is needed to address these low life, low level criminals in waiting.
  • Trying to work out how spraying a police officer's initials on 27 trees actually achieves anything whatsoever?
    Anyone would think drugs were involved  . . . Oh, hang on!

• Joe said:

Really? PSG, you think it’s okay? It’s this ‘no boundaries ‘ attitude that gives idiots the idea that vandalism is okay. Dear God I hope that they spray paint your car ‘It will be okay’ and then see your bleeding heart liberal view wash away. This attitude makes me sick, even  more so than the idiot that sprays trees, at least they have proved they don’t have s brain. 
    Hi Joe, I have had my car vandalized and I thought it was ok, not great, but not “horrible” or “unbelievably disgusting”. It was only a car after all. No one hurt or anything. Sorry to have made you sick. Hope you feel better soon
  • Somewhat depressing to find that mindless vandalism is considered "OK". 

Granted, not life or death, but if you reduce everything to that level where do you end up?

Reminded me of the Broken Windows Theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

In the search for "DH" I think we can safely eliminate Damien Hirst. 

Suspect Wivenhoewoodsy may be correct.

• PSG said:
    Joe said:

Hi Joe, I have had my car vandalized and I thought it was ok, not great, but not “horrible” or “unbelievably disgusting”. It was only a car after all. No one hurt or anything. Sorry to have made you sick. Hope you feel better soon
    What a truly disturbing post and comment on your values. I trust you will never be in a position to influence the judicial process. “It was only a small stab wound, not life and death, not horrible just okay”. I think you need to re evaluate your concept of right and wrong. 
  • Thank you wellhead for the link. Very interesting reading
  • Joe said:

What a truly disturbing post and comment on your values. I trust you will never be in a position to influence the judicial process. “It was only a small stab wound, not life and death, not horrible just okay”. I think you need to re evaluate your concept of right and wrong. 
    Stabbing someone = wrong
    Spray painting a tree = ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I enjoyed being a juror, and was happy to see all the defendants found not guilty of various minor offences in the cases I was on.
  • PSG said:
    Joe said:

Stabbing someone = wrong
    Spray painting a tree = ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I enjoyed being a juror, and was happy to see all the defendants found not guilty of various minor offences in the cases I was on.
    Stabbing someone = wrong
    Spray painting a tree = wrong
    you as a juror = wrong