Proposed Cell Mast in front of Wivenhoe on the marshes

Anyone living in Lower Wivenhoe with any kind of a view of the Marshes should view the appeal lodged against the refusal for planning permission for a mast. It can be found here: 

https://acp.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/ViewCase.aspx?caseid=3182517

The Planning application is here:

http://www.planning.colchester.gov.uk/WAM/showCaseFile.do;jsessionid=33ADB4857CAE56A25CC93C4B99B98D78?action=show&appType=Planning&appNumber=170219

As well as having been lodged without the majority of people on this side of the river having been advised, it will also be something of an eyesore as the illustrations of it have been taken in a way that is highly misleading and bathe the lower part of the town in high levels of RF energy. 

As to whether the latter consideration is a real concern is up for debate - the people that want the mast say it's safe, but there is evidence that suggests that constant exposure over an extended period may not be, especially where children are concerned.

Wivenhoe and Fingringhoe Councils will object, but as is often the case, weight of numbers is likely to be significant so if it does concern you, please add your voice to the protests. The inspectorate will only consider material planning grounds which is essentially things like height, location, land use and procedure, but if you do have other concerns, make them known anyway as there are people who are minded to to agree that it may not be safe

Comments

• "and bathe the lower part of the town in high levels of RF energy. "

WOW 
  • If your principal argument against the mast is the "high levels of RF energy", then presumably you'll be removing your WiFi router and switching your cellphone off, and encouraging others to do likewise ??
    Thought not....there's been a cellular signal issue (too low / non-existent) in lower Wivenhoe for years - my guess is that quite a few people will see a new mast as a necessary evil
  • I'm ready for my radiation bath!

• Bumped so the people who should be aware of the proposals get a chance to see it before it drops off the page
  • Oooooh let’s smash the spinning machines as well. Work of the devil both of them ! 
  • That's a little flippant @Joe.

A delegation of very concerned Fingringhoe residents addressed Wivenhoe Town Council during the October Full Council meeting. Their concerns weren't for the technology per se, but the appearance and the manner in which CBC went about the consultation.

What is being proposed it a mast of 25m high. It would have a considerable impact on the riverside view. Very few Wivenhoe residents were contacted by CBC as part of the consultation.
  • I completely agree on the process and aesthetics point. It’s the ridiculous RF - we are all going to have our brain fried argument that I was ranting about. Brains are overrated anyway! 
  • This isn't about the radiation so much as an ugly blot on the landscape. The fact it was proposed without contacting those most impacted adds to the story, but frankly anyone who enjoys a stroll along the quay should be standing up and being counted to ensure it never gets built. Whacking up a 25m mast on what is such a beautiful spot is unneccesary vandalism.

• edited October 30
    I suspect that CBC push these applications through quickly because they are fed up with the nimbyism that almost always results from cellphone mast siting requests.
    Strangely, it's not easy to find anyone these days that doesn't own a cellphone, so where should the masts go, then ?
  • Gribble said:
    I'm ready for my radiation bath!

Haha - I'm digging out my colander, for my next trip to The Black Bouy.....

• SimonT said:
    I suspect that CBC push these applications through quickly because they are fed up with the nimbyism that almost always results from cellphone mast siting requests.
    Strangely, it's not easy to find anyone these days that doesn't own a cellphone, so where should the masts go, then ?
    CBC rejected the application, this thread is about the appeal being made to the planning inspectorate.

Maybe you could put an application in to put one in your garden?
  • Don't get me wrong - personally I dislike cellphones, yet like most people I have one.
    I just find it odd that everybody owns the wretched things, but no-one wants a mast anywhere near them....
  • edited October 31
    underthebridge said:
    CBC rejected the application
    My mistake - but my point about opposition to these masts stands - they *are* ugly, but also a necessary evil. Maybe they could be disguised as trees, as I believe they are in areas of the US
    underthebridge said:
    Maybe you could put an application in to put one in your garden?
    No thanks, I don't want one either - certainly "Not In My Back Yard"  ;)
  • edited October 31
    It would completely spoil the view to Fingringhoe Sewerage Works .
  • Anybody who wishes to comment on this application / appeal should note that the cut-off date, the 8th of November is fast approaching
  • edited November 7
    Looking forward to the number of bars on my phone signal matching the number of public bars in lower Wivenhoe  :#
    Glug-glug-glug [_]?
  • Need a better mast at the cross. 
  • The Black Bouy, The Rose & Crown and the station (not The Station) have free Wi-Fi so no need to have any bars in the bars of Lower Wivenhoe....

• edited November 8
    Last chance to enter your comments - keep in mind that one of the reasons that they want it where it is is to profit from the proposed development that would swallow the town up. If you read the detail, it’s questionable that residents will see any benefit from it too.
  • SimonT said:
    My mistake - but my point about opposition to these masts stands - they *are* ugly, but also a necessary evil. Maybe they could be disguised as trees, as I believe they are in areas of the US
    Not just in the US. There are plenty in this country too.

Some of them are convincing and hard to spot, some, not so much.

They don't tend to work so well when they aren't near other very tall trees though of course...