Dangerous Potholes in Rectory Road

Could anyone tell me if these awful unsafe craters / potholes have been reported as someone seems to have marked around them but not filled them in !!!
They seem to have been like this for months and I had a shock when my tyre made a loud bang when it hit one of these the other day .I thought my wheel had come off

Comments

• I was wondering the same when
    I had asimilar experience. I would like to know if our local councillors are aware of of these dangerous potholes and why nothing has been done about them.
  • It's bloody dangerous for motorcycles as I found the other day. Especially when going around a parked car when you can't see them.

It will throw a motorcyclist off. I'm aware of them as being local but others won't. 

The hill up to millfields is terrible with gravel all of the place. 

ECC know about them as they painted a red ring around them months back.

• it is dangerous for everyone especially when going east and giving way to the fast west bound stuff, you have to slip in and out of the refuges dividing attention between the hole traps  and the oncoming traffic and that is in daylight. Once the clock changes, it will force some onto the avenue. ECC will repair them in due time  but only with a bit of spare black stuff which the amount of traffic we now have will  quickly hollow out.
  • Yes, they were filled in before but it's not long before it all breaks up again....

• http://www.essexhighways.org/transport-and-roads.aspx

The more  people that complain, the more likely they are to deal with it quickly.

you can also mail the Borough Councillor:

cllr.julie.young@colchester.gov.uk
  • Thanks Nick .... we should bombard them with reports! Him Indoors has had to replace a front tyre that developed an egg-like bulge in the side wall. Can't be sure it was caused by one of the many craters along there, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it were.
  • Hopefully it will make people drive a bit more carefully on that road until they’re fixed. 
  • Driving carefully to avoid the potholes means you have to take avoiding action which often requires sudden moves, especially when other traffic makes it difficult to get much warning. So apart from danger to tyres it is also causing more dangerous driving.  
  • Have spoken directly to Highways rather than using the online system.
    Have advised that the entire length of both Rectory Road and Rectory Hill are in need of replacement due to the road surfaces being worn out, road markings being erased due to wear , blocked drains and foliage / embankment incursion.
    The annual inspection of these roads is due in January and cannot be brought forward or amended as it is part of a Countywide programme.
    October 28 & 29 Rectory Road will be subjected to a temporary traffic control whilst  rectification work is done on the existing potholes.
    A report has been made of the gulley that exists along the centre white line  in Rectory Hill/Alresford Road between Bowes Road and Keeler's Lane.

Watch this space!!

• Thanks for the update. 
  • I sent an e-mail to Julie Young, County Councillor, earlier in the week stating how dangerous rectory Road is for all types of vehicles  and that although the potholes were marked months ago the red paint is fast disappearing.   I also pointed out that Rectory Road is a most dangerous road due to the speed some vehicles travel along without any regard to other motorists, cyclists etc.  Julie, as usual, provided a prompt reply stating that she had contacted Chelmsford on the matter.   I pointed out to her that in recent weeks parts of Stanley Road,all of Ernest Road, Rebow Road, East Street, Park Road, Queens Road have been completely, or partially,  resurfaced and yet Rectory Road, which is probably the busiest, and certainly the fastest, road in Wivenhoe  has been completely neglected.
  • TAF said:
    I sent an e-mail to Julie Young, County Councillor, earlier in the week stating how dangerous rectory Road is for all types of vehicles  and that although the potholes were marked months ago the red paint is fast disappearing.   I also pointed out that Rectory Road is a most dangerous road due to the speed some vehicles travel along without any regard to other motorists, cyclists etc.  Julie, as usual, provided a prompt reply stating that she had contacted Chelmsford on the matter.   I pointed out to her that in recent weeks parts of Stanley Road,all of Ernest Road, Rebow Road, East Street, Park Road, Queens Road have been completely, or partially,  resurfaced and yet Rectory Road, which is probably the busiest, and certainly the fastest, road in Wivenhoe  has been completely neglected.
    Did mention that some residential streets that adjoin Rectory Road had been recently repaired to a standard that we expect of all roads but good luck to their residents as my concern is one of the main arterial routes falling into disrepair.

On the up-side we know where to go and play street bowls
  • They are now fully liable for any damage and injury from these craters as they are aware and acknowledged that by painting round circles around them.

What I can't understand, whilst out with the paint why cannot some temporary tarmac from a bag be thrown in the hole making it safe until a permanent repair can be made.

• Thanks for all your replies and glad the relevant people are aware and plan to rectify this ' accident waiting to happen ' but not soon enough ! 
    Lets hope that now that the days have limited daylight that no one is badly injured ! 
    I would have thought that some temporary filler would be sensible as Mottza rightly stated . 
  • I wish they’d use light- reflecting paint to mark the potholes. It’s bad enough in daylight but at, especially if it’s raining, it’s hard to spot them. 
  • I agree @Moira!
    Looking at the Essex Highways site that Nick mentioned, it seems that they're already aware of all of the holes/craters, as the map for Rectory Road/Hill is awash with blue dots to mark the problem spots - let's hope that some prodding of the local councillors will yield some results. 
    I'm working at home today and have seen large lorries, buses and quarry trucks hurtling along Rectory Hill in both directions so it's not surprising that things seem to be deteriorating so fast. 
  • Thanks for you comments. I reported these potholes to Essex County Council a long time ago, as I am sure others have. However, ever since the cycle path diversion, Rectory Road is in major need for complete resurfacing. I have requested this be done but Essex County Council do not see it as a priority. Why they stopped at the adjoining roads of Ernest and Stanley, but could not do Rectory, I do not know. 

Julie Young is our County Councillor (not borough) and has more clout than I or other borough Councillors. Overall, we need the County to improve their private contracts with Ringway-Jacobs as we are getting a dangerously poor service. 

This is why I call for a Unitary Authority for Colchester and the surrounding areas, so that we can run our roads locally, and so that you can hold your local councillors to account, rather than the distant County Hall in Chelmsford who has privatised the contract out. 
  • This morning I noticed that the potholes were covered. Not all though, some were missed , still better than before.