Wivenhoe's new Medical Centre opens on Monday 23rd October

At long last Wivenhoe will have a new Medical Centre. Patients with appointments on Monday 23rd October onwards will be seen at the Phillip Road Medical Centre. All of the records and present equipment will be moved there next weekend (21st / 22nd October).

Doctors Cope, Cooper and Carr and all the team invite everybody to an Open Day on Saturday 28th October between 10am and 1pm to view the new facilities.

For more information about Wivenhoe's doctors and the medical team who look after our health needs, look at their web site: click here

Comments

• Hurrah!  :)
  • And a big increase in the rat run from there to chemist
  • Useful to know :)
  • kst said:
    And a big increase in the rat run from there to chemist
    And cardiac arrests when a train horn sounds!  Oh well, at least they will be near the surgery. 
  • How are they letting folk that don't frequent The Forum know? ... presumably there will be a big notice in the door at the current surgery, but it could be a PITA for anyone from Lower Wiv that has schlepped up the Avenue (there's a song in there somewhere) to find they have to turn around and head back down again.
  • sounds to me like we need at chemist in Lower Wivenhoe !
  • Joe said:
    sounds to me like we need at chemist in Lower Wivenhoe !
    Perhaps our caring, sharing Co-op will provide one. I hear they are due for another re-fit. But don't hold your breath.
  • Hythe Pharmacy deliver to us straight to the door and will leave in a safe place, if appropriate.  I ask for the prescription to be sent to them directly. They also deliver non-prescription items at the same time, if needed. I think the Green Pharmacy do so as well.
  • mossie said:
    Joe said:
    sounds to me like we need at chemist in Lower Wivenhoe !
    Perhaps our caring, sharing Co-op will provide one. I hear they are due for another re-fit. But don't hold your breath.
    Tesco once wanted to have a pharmacy at its Greenstead store, but it was denied due to there being other pharmacies nearby, so it is not certain that there can be an additional one in Lower Wivenhoe.
  • There used to be a pharmacy in the Tesco at the Greenstead store.  
  • kstkst
    edited October 17
    bluebells said:
    There used to be a pharmacy in the Tesco at the Greenstead store.  
    Prescriptions were sent from Greenstead store to Highwoods for dispensing.
  • The Hythe Pharmacy delivers direct to my door also and are extremely efficient.
  • edited October 17
    Isn't there some rule about distances between chemists (as the crow flies)? If I recall it lead to some nonsense about a chemist in Rowhedge because it was too near the one in Wivenhoe!!!
  • And now one of our councillors who pushed for the Phillips Road site is worried about Parking ?!!! 
  • Any feedback on this yet?

Very early days, but the congestion was up to The Greyhound earlier this morning with cars trying to enter and exit.
  • Car Park was closed on the first day! Causing everyone to enter and then reverse out.  Only 6 car parking spaces plus two disabled, but oddly there is room for a lot more.

Think this is going to be an issue, more people will use cars if they have to visit the pharmacy as well.

And a lot of builder activity on the first day. Inside looks nice and spacious and modern. Outside looks not very different.

• edited October 27
    Practice Manager Zoe Cronin gave me a quick update yesterday. The move into Wivenhoe's new Medical Centre has gone very smoothly from an administrative point of view. The doctors are very pleased with their new, spacious facilities. There are obvious teething problems with the building, especially outside, but these are quickly being resolved.

If anybody would like to see what the Wivenhoe Medical Centre is like, Zoe and the team of doctors, clinical matrons and nursing staff invite you to an Open Day at the Centre this Saturday, 28th October, between 10am and 1pm. Come and see for yourselves Wivenhoe's newest asset.      
  • Could anyone confirm what cycle parking provision is like please? I've always tended to cycle to my appointments if I can due to the limited parking at the old surgery, and it sounds like that would be the best option for the new one too!
  • Plenty of space to park a bicycle and I'm sure there is something lock them to.
  • Thanks @Mottza, i'd be interested to know if there are any racks to lock to as I am very aware that locking to railings, drainpipes etc can be in the way of people and are obviously much less secure.
  • kstkst
    edited October 27
    Here we go again - Boring - Worry about the majority for a change

Stand back, wait for flaming 
  • mikep said:
    Thanks @Mottza, i'd be interested to know if there are any racks to lock to as I am very aware that locking to railings, drainpipes etc can be in the way of people and are obviously much less secure.

Really worried about this. Hope the people off the buses and walkers can manage

• Bike racks are installed at the Medical Centre
  • PeterH said:
    Bike racks are installed at the Medical Centre
    Thanks for confirming Peter.

I don't know if the above comments from kst are a dig at my choice to cycle to the surgery but I'm just trying to do my bit to reduce congestion in an already limited space, and not get in the way of people in the process.
  • I think that everybody who visited Wivenhoe's new Medical Centre were hugely impressed by what they saw. The old school has been transformed internally and now has lots of consulting rooms and different spaces for various medical uses. We have a medical team of 10 people who can now look after our health needs led by three doctors plus other administrative staff who can all now work in comparative comfort. Wivenhoe has waited a long time to get a decent health centre, a process which started 15 years ago. We should all be celebrating our new, very modern Medical Centre which preserves a historic building that some people in Wivenhoe still remember attending when it was a school. 
  • The main thing about the new Medical Centre is that it is spacious, modern (inside), and has vastly improved facilities.  I know that the staff are thrilled with the move.  I also realise that there are downsides – motor access being one, and the distance from the nearest pharmacy another.  As to the matter of the pharmacy, up there in Vine Parade, they (Boots) would certainly oppose any other pharmacy being sited within a radius of (I think) one mile from its existing store.  I don't think the doctors have a choice in the matter.
    Anyway well done to all the Medical Centre staff who worked so hard over the weekend to make the move, and all good luck for the future!
  • I was impressed with the fact that in addition to the doors having the name of the doctor on them, there was also braille underneath the name to help blind people to read it.
  • Distance to the pharmacy shouldn't really be a problem, as prescriptions can be sent electronically to local pharmacies, who will then deliver to your home.  We get ours from the Hythe pharmacy, which is an efficient & very helpful system.
  • puffin said:
    Distance to the pharmacy shouldn't really be a problem, as prescriptions can be sent electronically to local pharmacies, who will then deliver to your home.  We get ours from the Hythe pharmacy, which is an efficient & very helpful system.

That okay for repeat prescriptions, but for new or one off, normally need to start the treatment straight away. 

• I popped in yesterday and thought it looked brilliant. What an amazing resource for Wivenhoe.

Now all they need is to hire a couple more doctors. I suspect if they offered part-time contracts they might have some success.