Clingoe Hill

Anyone know why traffic going down CH towards roundabouts seems to be thicker than usual from 3pm onwards last couple of weeks? Is the growing volume simply as a result of students back at Uni - and the crossing at Tesco roundabout being used constantly? Causing delays when rushing to town to pick up grandchildren ...adds up to half an hour to the journey. If everything calms down at Christmas hols time then I guess it points to that. If not, what else?

Comments

• Simply too much traffic for the local road network to deal with, so that the slightest problem causes gridlock.
    Can't imagine what the government and local politicians were thinking when they rubber stamped the huge residential development destined for the area around Clingoe Hill!
  • Not all the students drive surely? That's just lazy.... but the volume of traffic has coincided with the return in students. It's so bloody annoying... 
  • edited October 14
    I've heard it's because a camera has now been put up at the Hythe rail crossing behind Tesco, so it's no longer being used as a 'rat run'.
  • Thursday several of them ran across all 6 lanes of the road on the hill in fast traffic narrowly missing cars.
  • I just assumed that it was parents on the school run & then students/staff returning to campus after the summer break?

• Returning from Colchester at approx 4.00 p.m. yesterday, Friday, we joined the queue half-way down Hythe Hill.   It took us approx. 30 minutes to reach Greenstead roundabout.   The queue on the hill, for traffic coming from Wiv enhoe to Colchester , reached back to within approx 200 yards of the traffic lights where one crosses the Clacton Road to Wivenhoe.  I would definitely agree that the congestion is caused by the constant use of the pedestrian lights at the Tesco crossing, both for traffic entering and leaving the Hythe.
  • At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the particular problem is which causes each episode of congestion - the simple fact that the local roads are at saturation point seems to have completely passed the authorities by.
    It looks very much as if they need to be reminded of that fact by us - the people who suffer from their machinations.
    Their latest project, the massive urban sprawl to the north of Wivenhoe  needs to be opposed using every method available to us, but unfortunately, most people seem to be blissfully unaware of the fate which awaits them courtesy of the stitch up by the government and CBC.
  • TAF said:
    Returning from Colchester at approx 4.00 p.m. yesterday, Friday, we joined the queue half-way down Hythe Hill.   It took us approx. 30 minutes to reach Greenstead roundabout.   The queue on the hill, for traffic coming from Wiv enhoe to Colchester , reached back to within approx 200 yards of the traffic lights where one crosses the Clacton Road to Wivenhoe.  I would definitely agree that the congestion is caused by the constant use of the pedestrian lights at the Tesco crossing, both for traffic entering and leaving the Hythe.

Which I would assume is students using the crossing. Maybe when the Sainsbury's store opens at the B&Q site that issue will be resolved. Although, I guess we will have increased road traffic from other shoppers who wish to use the Sainsbury's store.
  • If the Sainsbury's store opens.
  • When is the sainsburys store opening?? 
  • It doesn't help when thoughtless twits block the roundabout at the bottom of Clingoe Hill so vehicles can't get through !! 
  • Big traffic jam again today and then spent 15 minutes stuck at eastgates level crossing.  
  • At least two messages in this thread have mentioned roundabout(s) being at the BOTTOM of Clingoe Hill.
    Surely the roundabout(s) are at the TOP of Clingoe Hill?

Travelling from Wivenhoe towards town you have to go uphill before hitting the roundabouts anyway! 
  • Yes - very congested and slow moving from 12 - 2 pm all around the Tesco area, and still not cleared at 3:30.
    Does anyone know why it was so bad?
    If this happens without any particular cause now, what on earth is going to happen when they build another 9,000 dwellings adjacent to Clingoe Hill?
    Imagine about 18,000 extra car journeys each day on the local road network!
  • pitfall said:
    Yes - very congested and slow moving from 12 - 2 pm all around the Tesco area, and still not cleared at 3:30.
    If this happens without any particular cause now, what on earth is going to happen when they build another 9,000 dwellings adjacent to Clingoe Hill?

I think of this every time I use Clingoe Hill. Worrying.
  • There was still a tailback to the university crossing when I went by at 18:30

I feel like the traffic has been busier in the mornings too, I leave Wivenhoe around 6:45 so that's hardly student time. The Galleys Corner roundabout at Braintree has been worse than usual in the past few weeks too.
  • From Tesco roundabout back to Abbott’s road tonight and took 30 minutes. Can only presume it is due to the students and cameras on hythe crossing making all traffic go past Tesco’s and with the pedestrian crossing in favour of people crossing rather than traffic allowing only two or three cars through before changing again. This also causes gridlock on the roundabout which in turn causes the tailbacks to wivenhoe. Will only get worse but I can get to work in Tiptree in around 20 minutes in the morning but an hour to get home.
  • pitfall said:
    Yes - very congested and slow moving from 12 - 2 pm all around the Tesco area, and still not cleared at 3:30.
    congratulations, you identified the particular cause - there's too many cars (or more specifically, too many people making car journeys)
  • edited October 16
    The proposed Mega-City/Garden Village has quite an extensive cycle path network, we can only hope that it doesn't cost as much per metre as the first phase. 

It would be nice to see more people cycling (how many cyclists do you see on Clingoe Hill?)  but most of these schemes are hopelessly utopian. 

Any fool can see that Colchester's creaking infrastructure simply cannot cope with the burdens increasingly heaped upon it.

Solution: More Houses.  :/

• How many of the people moving to the area are going to be in a position to cycle to work? Where are all these extra jobs going to come from? Or are most of them going to be people commuting to London? In which case there's nothing to stop them wanting to drive to Chelmsford or Witham to get the train (in the hope that it'll reduce the huge cost of a train season ticket from Wivenhoe and Colchester). I commute to Cambridge, cycling the distance isn't really a feasible option.

Extra cyclepaths are a great idea, but if you're not giving people well-paid jobs in the local area then they'll just be used at weekends when people want to get the kids out of the house. Meanwhile weekday traffic will be an increasing nightmare and the council will just stamp their feet and whinge about needing to "change the behaviour of the public" without wanting to understand why people facing a long commute don't want to make it even longer by cycling.
  • As well as cycling for shorter journeys (3-5 miles?), public transport really is key to relieving the problem. The Colchester bus companies and the ridiculous privatised but subsidised model they operate under are appalling and not fit for purpose, and the less said about trains the better. 
    And finally, if the university had any desire to actually implement a decent sustainable transport plan, it would be to the benefit of more than just students.

Until we break the reliance on cars, you can build as many roads as you like and the problem will simply keep getting worse.
  • RobH said:
    At least two messages in this thread have mentioned roundabout(s) being at the BOTTOM of Clingoe Hill.
    Surely the roundabout(s) are at the TOP of Clingoe Hill?

Travelling from Wivenhoe towards town you have to go uphill before hitting the roundabouts anyway! 
    Coming from Wivenhoe, when you first encounter Clingoe Hill, you are at 35 metres above sea level. By the time you get to the roundabouts you are at 10 metres above sea level (after briefly dipping down to about 5 metres).

So yes, I reckon the roundabouts are at the bottom of the hill, not the top.
  • It's what is known as "sheer volume of traffic" - all the extra flats and houses round the Hythe, extra houses along Wivenhoe Quay, squeezed into every space which used to be a garden, and spreading along the river in Rowhedge all add to the road users.  Also the crossings on both Clingoe Hill and by Tesco during term time inevitably slow things down.  But let's try not to get cross with other road users - they, like us, are just trying to get to where they need to be.  

As identified, it is the local planning system to blame - plus the Planning Inspectorate (I guess?) overriding local decisions, and government targets for housing.  There's also an Infrastructure and Projects Authority. I'm trying to work out what they do. If you enjoy the BBC's programme "W1A", you may find their "National Infrastructure and Construction Pipeline Analysis" document amusing. Apologies if any reader works for them.
  • Big queue again at 6.30, but no traffic after the roundabout. The root cause is the traffic lights that go red every 30 seconds for the odd pedestrian. A simple reconfigure of these lights would improve things somewhat. 
  • Whenever I go into Colchr in the late afternoon, the use of the pelican crossing (where indeed one normally gets stopped) usually causes no actual delays to outward traffic at all , because the first car to be stopped catches up with the last car that got through before it gets to the Greenstead rbt stop line, due to slow rate of vehicles getting onto the rbt at busy times.
          No doubt it doesn't always work like that, but think there is some How Dare these Pedestrians Stop Me Clarksonitis here......Also this stopping helps cars get out of Tesco.

Pedestrians stopping traffic on the inwards side of the crossing is the only way that people can get out from Elmstead Rd at busy times. Of course there is a proposed new housing estate on the University  bog, so that FAR MORE cars will have to get out of Elmstead Rd in future....

Aeons back it was pointed out to Highways that the red phase at this crossing is much too long because the roadway is very narrow and there are hardly any old/slow  people, but of course they won't do anything because its much more fun to design £m 'improvements' and no kudos in doing simple things like that...

Had been wondering what impact the cameras in Hythe Stn Rd might have on afternoon outwards delays!   Waiting at the Tesco bus stop one used to see great numbers of cars coming out from Hythe Stn Rd in the pm peak. (None offpeak). The system probably worked better for all by letting people do it.

Sainsburys planning application has drawings of the proposed impvts to Greenstead rbt to cater for their extra traffic, mostly by 3-lane entries vice 2. Now they are waffling about impvts there to cater for the Garden City traffic but ?? is this the SAME impvts (given Sainsburys will probably) never open? or just waffle about more that have not actually been designed? No point asking....There is no hope of doing any BIG impvts because so much of the traffic is 90 degrees Clingoe Hill to Colne Causeway, not straight over.

Anyway, as is always the case, if you enable more cars to get through one point, it only makes conditions worse somewhere further in!

The EASIEST thing that could be done quickly would be for CBC to impose charges on the abnormally vast amount of free employer parking in the town, which is the no.1 cause of the huge number of people coming in from Tendring by CAR in the am peak. But as only one council in the country [Nottingham] has ever used this power, its hardly likely. In any case most of the cllrs and staff can't even be fagged to read the reports that tell them about this. 

• I was suprised to get stuck in traffic today at 1pm on the greenstead roundabouts, in the last 5 years the traffic increase has gone through the roof. It never used to be that busy during the day. I can’t imagine what it’ll be like with the proposed new garden city. 

Colchester on the whole is gridlocked, last week it took me 20 mins to travel 1.2 miles...

I don’t know what the solution is, because there isn’t the room to build new roads, but Colchester needed a large ring road years ago. Everything they do now will be done in vain, it’s too late now to solve the problem. It’s like a mini London! 

• It it does amuse me when people use congestion and colchester in the same sentence! 
    Clearly people locally have never been anywhere remotely congested.  1.2 Miles in 20 minutes is pretty good for most places these days, globally too!
  • edited October 18
    It it does amuse me when people use congestion and colchester in the same sentence! 
    Clearly people locally have never been anywhere remotely congested.  1.2 Miles in 20 minutes is pretty good for most places these days, globally too!

Glad I amused you.

The point I’m making is the new garden city/west tey, is going to have a huge impact on what is already an over capacity infrastructure. 

For me who uses the roads all day for work, I’ve seen a massive increase in traffic on clingoe hill and Colchester in general, only 5 years ago, it wouldn’t have taken me 20 mins to travel just over a mile, in future it’ll probably take 30-40. So much pollution, so much wasted time, so much lost time for business. 

So what do they do? Build thousands more houses!
  • Firstly, Colchester is not congested by any standard.
    secondly the new development comes with a link road to the A120 which is the likely direction of travel for most of the current and new users and I suspect the conjestion will be there and where the A120 hits the A12.
    thirdly anyone who can avoid going into colchester will do - it’s only Tesco and the new sainsbury which anyone will go through clingoe Hill for (I only use it to get to the A12 london bound - no one really goes to colchester to actually visit the place as the town centre is like a set of the living dead!
    thrirdly after we leave Europe, if you believe the press, cars will be a thing of the past and we will have an agrarian economy presumably with fuedal overlords so you will be able to sail through on your cart! So why all the worry?