Burglary scoping at the Cross?

Just witnessed something very odd at the Cross last night about 3.40am. Two men with flashlights were investigating the driveways and backs of houses up at the Cross, heading down to the Avenue.

Not sure what to make of it. Some middle of the night psychogeography? Lost their way after consuming too much booze and couldn't find their house? Or scoping out for future burglaries?

I did try and take a photo but was too bleary eyed and took a photo of my window sill instead (doh!).

Whatever it was, it seems a good idea to be prepared for possible break-ins. Sometimes they mark houses up beforehand, so worth having a look for that too.

Comments

• You have informed the police?
  • You are charged with possession of a torch and lighting up driveways......................
  • Usually they check out possible sites during daylight, pretending that they are offering some sort of 'service' such as providing a new driveway, being a tree surgeon etc. etc. - they want to see as much as possible, so stumbling around in the dark with torches would seem a bit amatuerist  - unless of course they knew what they were looking for.....
  • pitfall said:
    Usually they check out possible sites during daylight, pretending that they are offering some sort of 'service' such as providing a new driveway, being a tree surgeon etc. etc. - they want to see as much as possible, so stumbling around in the dark with torches would seem a bit amatuerist  - unless of course they knew what they were looking for.....
    Drugs probably. It's happening near me. Don't want to go into details how I know but have informed police twice over the past 18 months.  Hard to see what they can do about it as a 24 hr stake out is a bit unrealistic.
    Eliminates the need for sellers and buyers having to meet up as the stuff gets hidden in bushes under stones etc to be picked up later. 

• Thank you 'Treestump' but I think it may have been the milkmen - I know they use torches and deliver around then some of the time.  Nice to know someone is looking out for us!
  • Definitely wasn't milkmen @pip, since they weren't carrying any milk (and I've seen them plenty of times). Still, all quiet since, so I guess we'll have to put it down to some people looking for Tiddles or some such.