Playground slide - King George V playing field

On at least 3 occasions on taking my grandchildren to the playground, they have hurt themselves on the big slide badly.  Every time it happens other parents say to me that their children have also done the same thing.  There is a bar that goes across at the very top of the slide, at the top of the steps before going down the slide.  Children climb up but do not look up and smash their heads on the bar.  My grandchildren have been in tears because of this, it is a design fault.  The bar needs to be removed, or raised higher, or soft material put on it.  It is dangerous.  This incident must happen every day.  I'm happy to raise a petition if there's enough people out there that know what I'm talking about. 

Comments

• The whole slide is an accident waiting to happen. It wouldn't suprise me if a child gets killed or seriously injured falling from the top. It's so sad that the old slide was taken away and replaced with this. Not sure who made the decision, but they clearly havnt spent much time with small children in recent years. 
  • A parent told me today that she wouldn't let her child on it because of the big gaps between the steps, and the gaps on the sides.  The old slide was fine. 
  • It is terrifying, that slide!! I let my little one go on it, but the steps are so steep that I worry about her falling backwards, and the sides have such huge gaps that I always think a little person could topple through them! 
  • There are huge gaps at the side !! It is highly unsafe! But could be easily fixed I think 

my son likes to go down on his belly and as he swings his legs round he's dangled both legs out one side and he'd easily fall through the gap if he edged backwards the wrong way
  • This is alarming. My grandsons have used that slide and I'd not noticed the issues raised but if it's that dangerous then we should get it addressed. Does anyone know who is responsible for the play equipment- WTC or CBC?
  • Moira said:
    This is alarming. My grandsons have used that slide and I'd not noticed the issues raised but if it's that dangerous then we should get it addressed. Does anyone know who is responsible for the play equipment- WTC or CBC?

I would like to confirm that WTC is responsible for the slide, and indeed all the equipment in the play park.

The slide was newly installed in May 2016 and is perfectly safe and conforms to all current safety standards.

All equipment is regularly inspected by an outside agency (not unlike a car's MOT) and any defects would be rectified immediately.

Whether or not people wish their child/grandchild to play on a particular piece of equipment is a matter of parental choice.

All WTC can do is provide equipment that conforms to the required standards.  The rest is down to parental responsibility!

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• How cold and unsympathetic your response is Mike.  It took me quite a while to coax by 5 year old grandson to come down from the top of the slide because he was so distressed from hitting his head on the bar. My response is then that parents should use a different playground, perhaps the one in Alresford which is safe.
  • brownie said:
    How cold and unsympathetic your response is Mike.  It took me quite a while to coax by 5 year old grandson to come down from the top of the slide because he was so distressed from hitting his head on the bar. My response is then that parents should use a different playground, perhaps the one in Alresford which is safe.

Sorry, but the facts are the facts, and that is all I was trying to convey..

On a personal level, we have two daughters and three grandchildren.  It was not unusual for us to put the kids on the (old) slide part way down when they were small. On the other hand the older children find the tall slide more fun and more of a challenge. Our youngest who is 10 would think nothing of appearing out of the trees on a zip wire when he is away on an activity break.  Other kids would be scared of that.

At the end of the day it is down to parents and grandparents knowing their child's capabilities and taking parental responsibility.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• @MikeNewton's response makes sense. Unfortunately playgrounds causes much conflict among parents partly because of their own tolerances (some are happy to let their kids take risks and some worry about it more) and because of the fact playgrounds have to cater for different age children. Younger kids do bump their heads on things more but I guess negotiating hazards is part of growing up. I used to fret a lot when mine was a toddler. Now I just bite down on my tongue so I don't say anything to interrupt a difficult climb or a competition to see how high they can swing....

If anything, there needs to be more challenging play equipment in the park, and my experience thus far has been that younger kids love taking on those challenges and reaching beyond their capabilities and older ones have something that suits them.
  • I feel  a litigation happening here. 
    Not tat it should be, parents SHOULD be responsible for their children/ grandchildren, but the nanny state comes into play.
    I really don't know how I survived my early years.
  • Please do not think any playground including Alresford are 100% safe
  • We all worry.
    Some, more than others.

Helicopter parent

• Even a low wall is dangerous. Or a tuft of grass. I'd say the little dears could probably trip over their own feet given half a chance, so perhaps we should remove them too.
    Genuinely no offence intended here, but please have some perspective.  Mike's response is sensible and I'm relieved the council won't respond in a knee-jerk way to some comments on this thread.

• Even a low wall is dangerous. Or a tuft of grass. I'd say the little dears could probably trip over their own feet given half a chance, so perhaps we should remove them too.
    Genuinely no offence intended here, but please have some perspective.  Mike's response is sensible and I'm relieved the council won't respond in a knee-jerk way to some comments on this thread.

I think you have missed the point totally. This is not about the correctness or otherwise of mike newtons response it is the appropriateness and planning by WTC to remove what was a good slide which is 99% safe with something which could easily result in serious injury and death of a young child.

i think mike is very brave (or foolish) and I hope he is well insured after the comments above. I would expect some form of review to be undertaken to understand why we have what is a death trap in the playground.

We have recently seen to the cost of many people the complacency of local government over health and safety issues - I would not want to be the one playing Russian roulette with children's lives. Mike clearly is happy to do so.

• Crikey ... That's a tad overly harsh and emotive isn't it? Would you speak to Mike (or anyone) like that in person?
  • Whether or not it conforms the fact that a small child could accidentally fall over the edge is NOT ok and I'm not sure why WTC wouldn't want to take these concerns seriously to avoid injury to children. A couple of extra bars on the sides would surely suffice!?
  • The slide is clearly unsuitable for toddlers and very small children;  ditto the larger swings and climbing frame. 

A small child could only fall from the slide if they were allowed to access it by their parent or guardian in the first place.  Surely the responsibility for the safety of the child falls in the first instance to the parent or guardian, who must know if a piece of equipment is suitable for their child's abilities, if it isn't you don't let them on it.

Health and Safety is often much derided, as it appears to replace common sense for fear of litigation;  reading some of the above I can see why. 

Sorry  @Eohneviw20  but trying to draw parallels between the children's slide at KGV Field and Grenfell Tower is both idiotic and disgraceful.

• The issue seems to be that you can't organise the whole of the built environment to make things 'safe' for ones child at the particular stage of development they happen to be in, nor can it be arranged so you don't have to, at some point, be involved in guiding them through the use of equipment or the street. And that includes, as people have said, saying no to particular pieces of playground equipment if you judge them to be unsafe for your child at their particular age.

And it wouldn't be desirable either. Part of human development is, uncomfortable though it might be, confronting risks and overcoming them. And building up physical strength. Much child development research points to the link between taking physical risks and cognitive and imaginative development.

Playgrounds work best when there is a range of stuff for different age groups. Toddlers and babies love sand pits, water and mud (yet parents here say they hate it). Older kids like climbing. All kids like swings. I think we need some new stuff in the park because it is a little out of date, and, dare I say it, a bit safe (and a coffee hut for the parents!).
  • The 3 children that have hurt themselves on the slide are not toddlers or small children.  They are aged between 5-8 yrs.  They are all very capable of climbing the slide and coming down it.  It is the metal bar at the top that gives them a heavy whack on the head that is the problem.  Surely just putting foam around it would resolve the issue.  The reason for this discussion was to find out if this happens regularly, or whether my family have just had bad luck.
  • My son is able to use the slide and is old enough to use the slide but he is small so the gaps are even more concerning 
  • This discussion has highlighted a concern felt by some but the issue is not one that can be resolved via the forum. Any further comments are best addressed to WTC.
This discussion has been closed.