A tornado coming through Wivenhoe

The Tornado steam locomotive is scheduled to leave Liverpool Street at 7.15 hrs. I guess it will hit Wivenhoe at between 8.30 and 9.00...

Comments

• edited August 10
    I think it's scheduled to arrive at Walton-on-the-Naze at about 9.15am on Saturday so that sounds about right. Very exciting!

Here's some more information: 

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/tornado-train-to-steam-in-walton-on-the-naze-for-huge-family-fun-day-1-5140632

• It will pass several times during the day as it has trips to Colchester during the day. 
  • edited August 12
    "Due to timetable changes from Network Rail please see the adjusted departure times below": 
    Presumably it will be in Wivenhoe some time before 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 17:30 and 19:30?

https://tornado150.co.uk/

• Shame the arrival and departure times are not published for Colchester town. 

However it should come through 30-35min after leaving Walton. 
  • For a rough idea of Colchester departure times, I have 10.20; 12.20; 15.20; 17.20 & 19.20, and if she keeps to time she should be seen about the half hour, but this depends on her ability to keep to schedule.  She certainly looks impressive coming from that direction.  :)
  • About 05 past the above hours coming from walton. And 20-25 past coming back. 
  • Now on the Wivenhoe History web site - click hereThe page has a link to the video produced recently about the 18 years it took to build the Tornado by volunteers starting from scratch. She recently completed a trial run achieving 101.6 mph, the first steam train to reach this speed since 1966.
    A lovely sight today, evocative of things past.  
  • Had a great trip on Tornado yesterday...randomly sitting opposite others who also live in Wivenhoe. As our service was running late due to signal problems and trespassers on the line, the driver put on some speed-went whizzing through Alresford and Bentley. 
  • Great trip. Well done Walton for trying to make it special and it was amazing to see people in their gardens waving flags hands and even sausages from the barbecue.  Very exciting. We too sat near people from Wivenhoe 
  • We stood on the Paget Road crossing as it passed by a few feet away - a beautiful and unforgettable sight, and all too brief. At least it she was going a bit slower at that point.
  • pitfall said:
    We stood on the Paget Road crossing as it passed by a few feet away - a beautiful and unforgettable sight, and all too brief. At least it she was going a bit slower at that point.
    I hope you were behind the gate Pitfall. Network Rail are making a lot of noise about the trespassers on the crossings that they are trying to Close.
  • pitfall said:
    We stood on the Paget Road crossing as it passed by a few feet away - a beautiful and unforgettable sight, and all too brief. At least it she was going a bit slower at that point.
    I hope you were behind the gate Pitfall. Network Rail are making a lot of noise about the trespassers on the crossings that they are trying to Close.
    I took a rather delayed train to Walton on Saturday afternoon - sadly not hauled by the magnificent Tornado - and saw lots of people standing well back from the line at the various crossings en route. Also was at Wivenhoe station when a Clacton train overshot the station/forgot to stop and thus delayed trains while it reversed up the 'down' line. No criticism of the driver from me as I imagine it was a rather challenging day to be driving a 'regular' train on our line, but the official reason for the delay of the train I eventually caught was trespass on the line. That seems a little bit, well, not entirely correct.