Yellow lines in the conservation area

Efforts are being made to ensure that the newly surfaced roads in the conservation area have the correct primrose yellow thinner parking lines. If you see any different would you please approach the contractors?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/upgate-yellow-lines-bright-road-2786681

Comments

• Wow (
  • ECC have adopted a Laissez-faire attitude and the current lines are clearly wrong for a conservation area.
  • edited August 1
    ECC have adopted a Laissez-faire attitude and the current lines are clearly wrong for a conservation area.

Clearly wrong for any area!  :/

• Crikey...4 lines, does that mean I can't park there with my blue badge?
  • I believe the photo shows part of Brook Street, which has not yet been resurfaced. 
    The machinery may have been too large. 
    East Street, Bath Street &, Rose Lane are all to be done as is part of Alma Street. 
    We will await new dates, we've been waiting 30 years already! 
  • Brook Street, just round the corner from the Black Bouy, which may explain why they were like that in the first place! 

Hadn't noticed, until recently, just how many of the yellow lines in the conservation are the wrong size and colour.  The new lines on Woodland Way however do appear to be the narrow primrose yellow that are correct for the conservation area; just one problem, Woodland Way is not in the conservation area.
  • Really??? Isn't there bigger things to worry about in the world than the size of yellow lines??? At least with the bigger ones people may actually see them and not park on them... we live in hope.... !!!
  • edited August 4
    Helsabels said:
    Really??? Isn't there bigger things to worry about in the world than the size of yellow lines??? At least with the bigger ones people may actually see them and not park on them... we live in hope.... !!!
    Certainly not life or death and in terms of potential threats to the conservation area I think the proposed development in the Churchyard is far more worrying than what size or colour the yellow lines are. 

That said the narrow primrose lines are more suitable for the lanes of lower Wivenhoe and I can now see why people get so upset when the Council can't get something as simple as this right. 

Somewhat sceptical as to whether the size and colour of the lines would have any serious impact on someone's decision making when it comes to parking.  Both of the Schools are protected by the brighter, larger yellow lines, will that make any difference come September? 

You may live in Hope, I live in Wivenhoe!  ;)

• Helsabels said:
    Really??? Isn't there bigger things to worry about in the world than the size of yellow lines??? At least with the bigger ones people may actually see them and not park on them... we live in hope.... !!!
    Yes, lots of other things to worry about but I choose not to address these on the Wivenhoe Forum.....
  • Jellyhead said:
    Helsabels said:
    Certainly not life or death and in terms of potential threats to the conservation area I think the proposed development in the Churchyard is far more worrying than what size or colour the yellow lines are. 

That said the narrow primrose lines are more suitable for the lanes of lower Wivenhoe and I can now see why people get so upset when the Council can't get something as simple as this right. 

Somewhat sceptical as to whether the size and colour of the lines would have any serious impact on someone's decision making when it comes to parking.  Both of the Schools are protected by the brighter, larger yellow lines, will that make any difference come September? 

People are terrible when it comes to parking at the school... only heard stories of Broomgrove, but I've seen first hand at Millfields. Parents are lazy, even more so when it rains!! Oh and Millfields will be even worse in September with a larger reception intake.... 
  • WOW - and there was me thinking that it couldn't get any worse!
  • Helsabels said:
    Jellyhead said:
    Helsabels said:

People are terrible when it comes to parking at the school... only heard stories of Broomgrove, but I've seen first hand at Millfields. Parents are lazy, even more so when it rains!! Oh and Millfields will be even worse in September with a larger reception intake.... 

Obviously there is a real danger of going off topic here, but totally agree, only from the other perspective, have first hand experience of Broomgrove, hear stories of Millfields. 

The proposed expansion of Millfields seems to be the elephant in the room that no-one is talking about, or is just that people have been kept in the dark? 

Again going slightly off topic but slightly relevant to the apparent laissez-faire attitude of ECC when it comes to road markings, some of the parking issues around schools are related to people parking over driveways, which can be designated by white H bars, ECC has a clear policy on them:

"Entrance protection markings or H-Bars are a specific type of advisory white lining to highlight to drivers to keep driveways clear.

Essex County Council no longer accept requests for new H-Bars, or requests to repaint existing ones."

http://www.essexhighways.org/transport-and-roads/tell-us/h-bars.aspx

Back to the conservation area, narrow primrose or wide buttercup?

Or ban cars?!  :D

• Millfields expansion? Is that the reason for removing the Coastal Protection on the land behind Millfields?

• KHam said:
    I believe the photo shows part of Brook Street, which has not yet been resurfaced. 
    The machinery may have been too large. 
    East Street, Bath Street &, Rose Lane are all to be done as is part of Alma Street. 
    We will await new dates, we've been waiting 30 years already! 
    It was too small for Paget Road, we have 2 ft gutters of old tarmac each side of the newly laid. It looks a mess and some of the old tarmac is breaking up!
  • To answer RiverEstuary - the removal of Coastal Protection Belt from land behind Millfields School is nothing whatsoever to do with the expansion of the School. The expansion of the school does seem to have been a well-kept secret though.
  • PeterH said:
    To answer RiverEstuary - the removal of Coastal Protection Belt from land behind Millfields School is nothing whatsoever to do with the expansion of the School. The expansion of the school does seem to have been a well-kept secret though.
    It really has.... I wonder why this is? 
  • Not quite sure how yellow lines have led to a discussion of the expansion of Millfields School.

As you all probably know Millfields is temporarily expanding its intake to a two form entry.  Making this permanent is an option which the County is considering.   You can read about this here
    https://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Schools/Schools/Delivering-Education-Essex/School-Organisation-Planning/Documents/Meeting_demand_for_school_places.pdf

There is an overall deficit of primary school places in Colchester/Tendring,  What is not very clear from the figures is whether the suggested expansion will be providing places for children who live outside the current priority areas for the Wivenhoe Schools.  If it does mean more children from outside Wivenhoe attend our schools then this will add to traffic problems at school collection and dropping off times.

• Judging by their attitude towards the the creation of a new urban city adjoining Wivenhoe to the north and it's effects on Clingoe Hill, it seems to me that CBC do not give a damn about how much more traffic congestion they create.
  • Ah, Don't forget the neighborhood plan. What a farce
  • Education (schools) is ECC, not CBC.
  • Marika said:
    Education (schools) is ECC, not CBC.
    ??
  • I should have quoted pitfall (above your comment).
  • Marika said:
    Education (schools) is ECC, not CBC.
    I was talking about the general worsening of traffic congestion and the accepted view of most local politicians that more residential development is always good news.
    Schools may come under EEC, but the pressure upon them comes from many sources, such as big new 'urban cities'.