Wivenhoe Surgery

I have just come back from the surgery and noticed that more than 100 appointments were missed in June, that is really bad. How long does it take to pick up a phone or cancel online.. They should put up a " Name & Shame" list...

Comments

  • Hmmm...   I wonder whether these are all really 'missed' appointments, or include appointments which have been cancelled or changed to other dates?  It's certainly an incredible figure if it's as simple as people not turning up for scheduled appointments...
  • Yes, that is bad. I wonder if some of the missed appointments were people who booked a "just in case"  appointment  to avoid having to wait if they got sick. I know someone who does this on a monthly basis, he says he always cancels if he doesn't need to see a dr. but easy to forget.
    I hadn't been to the surgery for years till today and got fantastic service, much to my surprise after everything I've read about long waits for appointments.
     Having diagnosed myself over the internet and googled all the worst case scenarios was in a complete panic. Phoned at 8am expecting to be told I'd have to wait weeks. I explained it wasn't an emergency but I was very worried. Was was seen by Diane the practice matron at 8.30.  She got me in to see the GP.  By 9am I'd been assessed, reassured, given prescription and referred to specialist. Can't get better than that! 


  • puffin said:
    Hmmm...   I wonder whether these are all really 'missed' appointments, or include appointments which have been cancelled or changed to other dates?  It's certainly an incredible figure if it's as simple as people not turning up for scheduled appointments...
    That's people who just don't turn up.! We hear all the time about the demise of the NHS but with all the pressures put on our surgery here in Wivenhoe we are certainly not helping matters and indeed ourselves.
  • My dentist's secretary in Brightlingsea telephones every patient the day before the scheduled appointment
    to remind them. Admittedly, people are given appointments up to a year ahead for regular checkups.
    It's getting to the point here in Wivenhoe when appointments can be a couple of months ahead.
    Perhaps Wivenhoe Surgery should adopt this practise.

  • I get a text reminder a week and then the day before my appointment.
    Is it the same for others?
  • You need to have a mobile phone number known by the Surgery staff, and an up to date one too, in order to get an appointments reminder. If you have a PC or a tablet, you can check on the Wivenhoe Surgery web site to check if they have your number correctly.  Check here:  www.wivenhoesurgery.nhs.uk/
  • I wonder if some of these ideas might be implemented when the new surgery opens;  was reliably informed by one of the workmen that work should be complete by late October, although I must confess I forgot to check which year.
  • Jellyhead - These ideas are already in operation. I am hoping that Wivenhoe's new Health Centre will open late October. That is what the team at the Surgery are working on. 
  • Surely it would be pretty easy to fine people for not showing up. The money raised should go towards a proper refuse collection service in Wivenhoe so we avoid a Cholera outbreak, which really would put a strain on our local Docs! 
  • A little balance is required here. Some conditions can cause memory dysfunction, so if you have a lot of medical appointments it's easy to let one slip. Not everyone missing appointments is doing it because they're selfish. 
  • Why put the responsibility on the surgery to remind patients of an appointment ?   Surely if that person is unwell and requires an appointment, they should have the intelligence to remember the time and date of the given appointment.  Have they no diary or a scrap of paper to make a note of the time and date ?      I totally agree - Name and Shame or make them pay a fine to a nominated charity (they would soon recall an appointment date if they were fined £10).   
    It angers me when  people criticise the length of time one may have to wait for an appointment only to find that over 100 appointments have been missed without the decency to phone and cancel that appointment. 
  • Well said TAF

  • The Surgery is becoming more efficient in dealing with the 8,500 people on its books. The recent recruitment of another Surgery Matron has helped enormously to relieve pressure on doctors. If you have an urgent need to see a qualified medical person, you can be seen the same day.  Indeed, as at last night, there were 38 spare doctors appointments available for next week !!  
    Only about a third of patients regularly use the Surgery web site to book an appointment. If the Surgery have your mobile phone number, you will automatically get a text reminder of your appointment. It does seem many people just simply forget about their appointment. I feel sure these are much more likely to be routine appointments made far in advance and not people with current medical issues, but frustrating for the team nevertheless.
    Wivenhoe's growing medical team are all looking forward to moving to Wivenhoe's new Health Centre at the end of October.  I think they do a great job already working out of such cramped conditions.       
  • I must agree,(as a former critic) , that the improvement in getting seen in a decent time has improved dramatically over the last month.
  • Glad it has been noticed. They have been working hard to improve things.
  • PeterH said:

     
    Only about a third of patients regularly use the Surgery web site to book an appointment.   
    Tried to book an appointment on the website, it's says "All our Clinics (GP,Nurse and HCA) are by appointment only. These can be made in person at Reception or by telephone. " So how does one book an appointment on the website ?
  • will357 said:
    PeterH said:

     
    Only about a third of patients regularly use the Surgery web site to book an appointment.   
    Tried to book an appointment on the website, it's says "All our Clinics (GP,Nurse and HCA) are by appointment only. These can be made in person at Reception or by telephone. " So how does one book an appointment on the website ?
    Have you got access to the patient gateway ?
    https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/Account/Login

    You need to be set up with a patient id etc by reception .
  • There is also a Patient Access app for your phone/tablet once you have the account set up for you as @kst mentioned. There are currently quite a few appointments available for the next two weeks, split between "General Appointment" and "Routine, although I am never quite sure what the difference between those is! Does anyone know?
  • Some missed appointments could be mistakes...my OH received notice on his phone of an appointment which he hadn't made, checked with the Surgery and cancelled.

  • Savvy said:
    There is also a Patient Access app for your phone/tablet once you have the account set up for you as @kst mentioned. There are currently quite a few appointments available for the next two weeks, split between "General Appointment" and "Routine, although I am never quite sure what the difference between those is! Does anyone know?
    I can't get my head around "Routine" or "General"
  • Maybe they should categorise them as "Ubiquitous" and "Everything else". 
  • TAF said:
    Why put the responsibility on the surgery to remind patients of an appointment ?   Surely if that person is unwell and requires an appointment, they should have the intelligence to remember the time and date of the given appointment.  Have they no diary or a scrap of paper to make a note of the time and date ?      I totally agree - Name and Shame or make them pay a fine to a nominated charity (they would soon recall an appointment date if they were fined £10).   
    It angers me when  people criticise the length of time one may have to wait for an appointment only to find that over 100 appointments have been missed without the decency to phone and cancel that appointment. 

    Totally agree. While there may be some extenuating circumstances for a few of the missed appointments, there is no excuse for 100 missed appointments. Apart from everything else, it has deprived other people of getting earlier appointments. Simply unthoughtful and selfish.
  • Well, its a good job they have had 100+ missed appointments
    20 minutes late getting into my appointment, so maybe they need the time to catch up ?
  • Dr Carr? He's always late. Even at the start of the day. 
Sign In or Register to comment.