Ernest and Stanley Road Resurfacing

Had a leaflet put through the door stating that ECC will be resurfacing both roads from 21st July for 3 days.

Just a heads up for you all.

Comments

• I think they should check their map to find Ernest Rd!
    The part between the triangle and the Co-op is still waiting to have its potholes filled so probably not yet ready to be resurfaced.
    We didn't have a leaflet.
  • @Marika, Triangle To Rectory Road/ Hill?
  • No, that's Stanley Rd.
  • Marika said:
    No, that's Stanley Rd.

Sorry Marika, I meant they only resurfacing between the triangle and Rectory (guessing here).

• In April the resurfacing plans were posted on the forum here  and Ernest Rd was on the list.

When we saw the potholes being filled in along the longest stretch of Ernest Rd a while ago, we assumed they would do the WHOLE of Ernest Rd in preparation for this resurfacing. But they stopped at the triangle.

Unless someone suddenly realises they skipped a bit, I suppose the resurfacing may end up in the same way.
    Urgent email to Julie Young, I think ...

• You never know, they may be using their time and resources efficiently by killing 2 birds with one stone (I know, perish the thought!) by turning up on the day with all the kit and personnel to do the potholes and the resurfacing.

Unless someone can explain to me why it is a better idea to send one crew to do a pothole one day (or more likely, part thereof...) and another crew on another day for part two of the job...? 

• Just been told we DID get a leaflet. Was intercepted by the 'other occupant' (!) of the house....  :(
    Anyway, resurfacing over unfilled potholes still leaves questions so the email has gone.
  • Marika, they will be removing the top layer, re-levelling the gullies and then lay a new surface.

• Tonight Julie copied me into a message she sent to the Highways i/c person asking him to make sure there had been no oversight, pointing out the remaining potholes issue and making sure he was aware of the urgency.

Quick work, thank you Julie.
  • Next week they are carrying out similar work in Elm Grove and Beech Avenue, but there is no sign of any remedial work on the numerous potholes in the much busier Woodland Way.
  • They are closing Beech Av on the 19th to perform the works, maybe all the damn commuters will actually park in the station carpark for a change! Does anyone know if the resurfacing extends to redressing/surfacing the pavements at the same time?
  • They are closing Beech Av on the 19th to perform the works, maybe all the damn commuters will actually park in the station carpark for a change! Does anyone know if the resurfacing extends to redressing/surfacing the pavements at the same time?

Re: Footways. I do not think so.
  • For anyone who may want to access Ernest and Stanley but has not had a leaflet, do note that it said:

"21st July for 3 Days"  and "No weekend working" 

Which since 21st is a Friday I am taking to mean five calendar days (on a "better safe than sorry" approach to planning for the disruption).  I am hoping to be proved wrong, but I think we may have limited access from Friday 21st to Tuesday 25th inclusive. 

I can't help but feel the leaflet could have been clearer on that point, and that if it does prove to be five days, it's quite short notice.  But, I won't shout too loud since I'm very pleased it is being done at long last.
  • There is work on Woodland Way 17th July according to the sign
  • No the footpaths are not being touched
  • Marika, they will be removing the top layer, re-levelling the gullies and then lay a new surface.

Oh I can see a can of worms opening up here . Vanessa is being done on Monday and will also remove the top layer . My investigations reveal there is only one layer . Can see a rebuilding roads programme unfolding here . 

Oh I can see a can of worms opening up here . Vanessa is being done on Monday and will also remove the top layer . My investigations reveal there is only one layer . Can see a rebuilding roads programme unfolding here . 

Shaun, Workers core drilled some holes on Ernest Road last week, I guess to see what is below the top layer. Did they do this on Vanessa Drive?

Shaun, Workers core drilled some holes on Ernest Road last week, I guess to see what is below the top layer. Did they do this on Vanessa Drive?
    Yes they drilled holes all the way down vanessa drive . In  some places we are luck and have 75mm of tarmac in others we have 40mm 
  • Big boys toys are very impressive in Ernest road today. Even their traffic cones are twice as big as normal ones!
  • Presumably motorists heeded the warnings signs stressing the importance of being off Ernest Road?
  • Yep. Everyone gone by this morning. It's a street scene from the 70's, but without the kids playing.
  • Hope the resurfacing is better than Vanessa Drive, you can already see where the pot-holes will appear again.
  • Warning - Brook Street to be closed from this Friday the 28th for two days, (so presumably therefore Monday as well) as advised by ECC this week for resurfacing. 
  • Does anyone know when they are going to finish the bottom of Stanley road?
  • or even the part of Ernest left in a similar part done state?
  • Apparently, there were issues with the centre part that have delayed them whilst they're rectified
  • edited July 27
    In Park Road Plonker News:

Oh dear.

• Out of interest - do residents get individual notifications when their road is going to be done?  The multiplicity of warning signs dotted around Wiv certainly don't make it very clear exactly what/when/where the closures are going to happen. Friends visiting us yesterday got very confused about what was/wasn't closed yesterday when they realised Park Road was no go. 
    I hope the bit of road that car was parked on didn't include a pot-hole!
  • edited July 28
    yes, a note was posted through our door 5 days before the resurfacing. Much to my annoyance as I had deliveries scheduled for that week which could have cost me hundreds of pounds to reschedule (building works, glass, large pieces of steel etc).
    While the resurfacing work is fine, I feel that 5 days notice at shutting a whole road is not good enough (I had to schedule these deliveries 4 weeks in advance), I am sure the council had a contract with the company doing the work months beforehand, so 5 days notice to residents indicates they need to improve their communications and timing. Make sure the actual people affected are made aware well in advance of any work..... it's not rocket science....

• I noticed that the knock-on effect of the Park Road works seems to be that displaced folk (and also presumably pesky commuters that refuse to pay to park) are now parked along Belle Vue ... it's a veritable chicane along there right now, especially fun with the buses trying to wend their way through.