Car vs hedgehog

Sadly we have lost what I assume is a rather rare beasty up in Bowes Rd. I guess he or she was trying to cross late in the evening and didn't quite make it. PLEASE drive carefully all the time, but especially when the little guys are out and about. It's such a shame to have evidence of how harsh we humans are on nature.

RIP little hedgehog.

Comments

• Very very sad - we walked our dog past there on our way to the grass opposite the school, and in the 5 minutes it took us to get back it must have tried to cross the road.
    I noticed several cars travelling at high speed while we were on the grass - their journey was obviously far too urgent for them to avoid killing the hedgehog.
  • Walked past another dead hedgehog earlier, halfway up Rectory Hill near the verge on the other side - with cars racing past at 50 - 60 mph.
    It's not surprising that we are wiping them out.
  • Hedgehogs playing chicken! 
    I have to admit to be surprised at cars going that fast on Rectory Hill Pitfall, especially coming down from the Belle Vue junction, as there is usually a bit of a white van chicane on the left-hand side!
  • Maybe we should be more Dutch:

Rij rustig, drive calmly.

(Obviously with appropriate change of limit from 60 km/h to 30mph)

• Savvy said:
    Hedgehogs playing chicken! 
    I have to admit to be surprised at cars going that fast on Rectory Hill Pitfall, especially coming down from the Belle Vue junction, as there is usually a bit of a white van chicane on the left-hand side!
    The 'white van chicane' often seems to make motorists floor the accelerator immediately afterwards in order to make up lost time.
  • Are you a driver @pitfall? I think it would be suicidal to do 50 let alone 60 mph on Rectory Hill. Too many close encounters with buses too fast & too far over to risk it. 
  • I rode motorcycles professionally for 13 years, and covered over half a million miles in that time.
    I learnt to judge speed extremely accurately without taking my eyes off the road ahead to keep checking my speedo.
    I appreciate that you would find it suicidal to travel at those speeds up and down Rectory Hill - but there are many people who would, and just trust to luck yet again.