New Waste Collection

Are we getting a refund in our Council tax by reducing the frequency and the amount of bags?

Comments

• Yes i've got one, i wrote to CBC and explained that i thought i should get a discount, they've knocked off a few pounds a month.

I'm not sure if it was really worth the bother as i had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it, I've got a word doc template you can use if you want, but be warned it's quite long and some of the questions are quite invasive.

• joan said:
    Are we getting a refund in our Council tax by reducing the frequency and the amount of bags?

Are you bemoaning the £51 per year CBC are given from your council tax to take away your refuse and recycling, and it is also used to fund the road sweepers and the CBC litter pickers, and the wardens who empty the rubbish bins in public areas, and lets not forget those CBC dears that empty the dog waste bins........you £51 goes a lot further than you think.
  • kstkst
    edited June 30
    Cherryade said:
    joan said:

Are you bemoaning the £51 per year CBC are given from your council tax to take away your refuse and recycling, and it is also used to fund the road sweepers and the CBC litter pickers, and the wardens who empty the rubbish bins in public areas, and lets not forget those CBC dears that empty the dog waste bins........you £51 goes a lot further than you think.
    Oh! didn't they do that already ? They may say the've saved £100k by bringing in fortnightly collections, but how much do the new refuse xxxxx police cost ? Comes out of another budget pot, so shows a saving on one pot but an increase in another.
    Moderator edit: please don't use offensive language.
  • kst said:
    Cherryade said:
    joan said:

Oh! didn't they do that already ? They may say the've saved £100k by bringing in fortnightly collections, but how much do the new refuse xxxxx police cost ? Comes out of another budget pot, so shows a saving on one pot but an increase in another.
    Moderator edit: please don't use offensive language.
    The refuse police are the zone wardens who are currently in place and are being paid from the same pot.
  • kstkst
    edited July 1

This post was removed by the moderators.

@kst if you want to argue about having been moderated you can do so by sending a PM to @moderator.

• kstkst
    edited July 1
    Tell us why ? What forum rule does this breach ? Lets be open about this.
  • kst said:
    Tell us why ? What forum rule does this breach ? Lets be open about this.
    Please remember this is a community board and the moderators are all volunteers. It's not pleasant to read offensive language or inflammatory comments - it might not be an official forum rule but it's certainly common courtesy. 
  • I do wish that people would stop starting new threads on this topic, when they failed to find satisfaction in the last one. It appears that, while adjustment to the new regime is difficult, most are trying. The few voices left trying to stir up something appear to just have an objection to recycling.
  • Followed the new rules to the letter this week. Nothing collected. Reported it. Paper picked up. Food waste left behind. Reported it again. Told food waste would be picked up on between Monday and Wednesday next week. 

Who in the council voted for this? I am keen to leave the food waste that will be left outside our house for a whole week outside their house rather than ours. 

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

• My food waste also left behind. Reported it. Nothing happened. Reported it again, told it won't be collected till some time next week. By which time the accumulated fish bones etc will have been in the bin for nearly 2 weeks. The smell from the closed bin is awful. I pity whoever will have to collect this eventually. I told the poor chap on the front line receiving complaints that regretfully I have no intention of recycling food waste again until they get this service up and running properly. It is unfair to be left with rotting food stinking outside the house, unfair on passers by and unfair to those collecting it. I was told that there are no resources to divert staff to one off missed collections. On the plus side the bright sheen of bluebottles as they catch the rays of the blazing sunlight is quite pretty.
  • catherine said:
    My food waste also left behind. Reported it. Nothing happened. Reported it again, told it won't be collected till some time next week. By which time the accumulated fish bones etc will have been in the bin for nearly 2 weeks. The smell from the closed bin is awful. I pity whoever will have to collect this eventually. I told the poor chap on the front line receiving complaints that regretfully I have no intention of recycling food waste again until they get this service up and running properly. It is unfair to be left with rotting food stinking outside the house, unfair on passers by and unfair to those collecting it. I was told that there are no resources to divert staff to one off missed collections. On the plus side the bright sheen of bluebottles as they catch the rays of the blazing sunlight is quite pretty.

I had plastic missed a few weeks before the changeover, reported and collected the following day.  Looks as if the change in routine has put a bit of a stretch on those follow up collections.  Obviously a missed food collection is a slightly different matter, especially in hot weather, but it's worth bearing in mind that none of the recent changes relate to food collection, which remain weekly (in theory). 

"I have no intention of recycling food waste again until they get this service up and running properly".  Begs the question: Where will that food waste end up?  I think I can guess! 

We will no doubt, next week, be hearing stories of how CBC have failed to collect bin bags and would you believe it, they've been attacked by foxes.

Obviously if this recycling thingy is proving a little bit difficult for some we could always resort to sending everything to landfill (before building houses on it) or simply bring back fox hunting!

• Followed the new rules to the letter this week. Nothing collected. Reported it. Paper picked up. Food waste left behind. Reported it again. Told food waste would be picked up on between Monday and Wednesday next week. 

Who in the council voted for this? I am keen to leave the food waste that will be left outside our house for a whole week outside their house rather than ours. 

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

Emails to our elected CBC councilors with complaints. They won't do anything about non collections unless they are bombarded with the complaints.
  • keep in mind that collections of recyclable material are a resource that is used to make money whereas domestic waste costs CBC to dispose of so is a nett loss ...
  • kstkst
    edited July 22
    Anyone else have trouble with the bags for food waste not fitting the bin properly. I bought some from WTC offices and they fit so tightly they break when renewing.
  • We never actually received one of the new recycling calendars...........just printed it off myself.
    Our green sacks weren't collected last week so reported that and the next day they were. However, we never had a missed collection until now.
    We've had maggots in our own dustbins this July......again, we've never had them before. Totally gross. 
    We've found it very difficult to only produce 3 bags of waste each fortnight. Luckily a friend has provided us with larger than large black sacks....so we can put 2 or 3 of our normal ones in each one. 
    I don't believe the new waste collection is saving the environment or the council money in the long term.

• The waste collection process has been re configured so that the value of the recyclables can be realised to offset the cost incurred by disposing of household waste hence trying to persuade everyone to reduce the amount of household waste.

unfortunately CBC haven't taken the sensible step of working alongside some of the larger retailers to reduce packaging. At the very least, it would have been helpful to have followed the European model and provided a waste disposal facility outside shops as some places in Germany do 
  • Macki said:
    Luckily a friend has provided us with larger than large black sacks....so we can put 2 or 3 of our normal ones in each one. 
    So you're cheating the system

Macki said:
    I don't believe the new waste collection is saving the environment or the council money in the long term.
    It will because most people will play by the rules
  • Macki said:
     Luckily a friend has provided us with larger than large black sacks....so we can put 2 or 3 of our normal ones in each one. 

You might get away with it but don't be surprised if bags don't get collected. Max size allowed is 60L.
    see CBC website FAQ How much does it cost to buy black bags?
    https://beta.colchester.gov.uk/info/cbc-article/?catid=new-rubbish-collections&id=KA-01024

• My better half commented on the stink pervading Wivenhoe on Wednesday morning, on her way to work. Also the amount of maggots and bluebottles in evidence. We've had maggots in the black bin where we store the black bags each week since the new regime started. Sorry, but this feels like a significant step backwards to me.

• adrian said:
    We've had maggots in the black bin where we store the black bags each week since the new regime started. 
    Do you know what they are feeding on? (serious question)
  • Yes, I believe it is the many kills gifted us by our cats. Can't guarantee bagging them up before the flies have done their business.

• NickT said

...unfortunately CBC haven't taken the sensible step of working alongside some of the larger retailers to reduce packaging. At the very least, it would have been helpful to have followed the European model and provided a waste disposal facility outside shops as some places in Germany do 
    Agreed, as already noted: 

"I think it would help if supermarkets had easy drop off points for unwanted packaging near their entrances."

http://www.wivenhoeforum.co.uk/discussion/comment/54829/#Comment_54829

;)

• edited August 4
    Obviously most of us have now just about settled into the fortnightly waste collection routine, last Wednesday was a Green Week (no black bags).

Clearly some are still trying to work out the new regime imposed by the council, like local resident @Mark Cory
    :p

• Yeah I did that too.  Eejit.  Or mind elsewhere ...  
  • edited August 5
    Unfortunately the new waste collection system continues to cause issues for me.

I live off Park Road. My black bags weren't collected on 26th July though they were definitely ready in time. I've reported this twice on the website and twice by telephone but they still haven't been collected. There is now a maggot infestation there.

This is the second time this has happened since the new system was introduced - I had no issues previously.

Is anyone else going through this? I'm getting quite stressed by it all.

• Report to

Telephone No.:

• Thanks, kst. I'll try that.
  • Stargazer said:
    Thanks, kst. I'll try that.
    We need to report these issues to our elected councilors otherwise nothing will improve. We have a zone warden but they can't change policy