Speed cameras

Maybe we can finally have speed cameras along The Avenue/The Cross after this evening's shenanigans? Here's hoping.....

Comments

• What were the shenanigans?
  • Car flying up The Avenue, hit the roundabout at The Cross, took out the bollards and flipped over.  Typical Sunday night.  
  • Typical every night of the week from what I've seen - speeding and dangerous driving every time I go out.
    Politicians have decided that it's not important enough to bother with, like a lot of things.
  • Nice big speed ramps, one by flag would help
  • Has the wivenhoe town council got the power to put one up and can they keep the revenues? That at least would benefit locals in some way with the money being allocated to improving the street scene or something connected...
  • It's a highways issue colchester council wivenhoe town council have no powers over road related matters 
  • Yes my understanding is it's Essex County Council (bit car loving, I understand). Speed cameras are just one way to deal with it. There's also some great preventative stuff on changing the architecture of the road so that there are more obstacles (Islands, trees, bumps etc.). The Avenue is just too clear and you need to prevent people from seeing a straight line ahead.

How do you agitate to change ECC policy?
  • @Treestump by putting pressure on our local ECC Cllr who represents us.

Agitate away.
  • Treestump said:
    Yes my understanding is it's Essex County Council (bit car loving, I understand). Speed cameras are just one way to deal with it. There's also some great preventative stuff on changing the architecture of the road so that there are more obstacles (Islands, trees, bumps etc.). The Avenue is just too clear and you need to prevent people from seeing a straight line ahead.

Are we talking about the same Avenue.  The one I know has cars parked down the full length of the eastern side most of the day!

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• edited June 20
    With a bit of luck, it might be the same #@*$ I watched about a week ago coming into the town. He took the bend where the 40 limit changes to 30 so fast, the entire car was in the Colchester bound lane.
  • A plea from Rec tory Road.    For years I have complained regarding the speed at which traffic travels up/down Rectory Road.   There is some restriction at the Cross end of the road due to parking, but after that it is foot down !  Some of the worst offenders are using the road between 8.00a.m. and 9.0a.m and between 5.00p.m. and 6.00p.m. - the main offenders are the younger drivers and the 4 x 4s. of the school-run.
       Very, and I mean very, occasionally the police appear with a speed gun - but the next day normal speed is resumed.    I regret that one day we are going to have a fatality particularly between the Manor Road entrance and Joliffes Hill.
  • Treestump said:
    Yes my understanding is it's Essex County Council (bit car loving, I understand). Speed cameras are just one way to deal with it. There's also some great preventative stuff on changing the architecture of the road so that there are more obstacles (Islands, trees, bumps etc.). The Avenue is just too clear and you need to prevent people from seeing a straight line ahead.

Are we talking about the same Avenue.  The one I know has cars parked down the full length of the eastern side most of the day!

Thanks.

MikeNewton

Not always they don't, and even with the cars you still have a clear line of visibility. I've seen cars speed up if they see they have a clear run (no cars coming the other way).
  • Jason said:
    @Treestump by putting pressure on our local ECC Cllr who represents us.

Agitate away.
    I wonder how much she can do, since she's one Labour Cllr in a Tory council very much not focused on this area (and not known for innovative transport experiments). It might be better to find out who the person in charge of transport is and WTC invite them for a visit.
  • Several times in the evening, I've seen cars overtaking one another along the Avenue. It's only a matter of time before we get another serious accident. Wasn't a child hit at the crossing outside the Co-op last year? The buses are pretty awful too.  I've had a few fly straight through the zebra crossing at Heath Road as I'm waiting with the kids on the way to taking them to school.  

These incidents are becoming more frequent and it's obvious a review of the roads in Wivenhoe is long overdue.
  • There was a classic this evening ... Chaos seemed to reign as folks awaited the start of the pram race outside the Greyhound spilled off the super-narrow bit of pavement and onto the road. A whole heap of cars decided that they would pile down the hill to add to the backlog, blocking cars that were trying to get up the hill towards the Co-Op. Eventually one sensible downhill bound chap partially pulled into a gap in between parked cars and left enough room for someone to head up the hill past him (no doubt with a cheery thumbs up or wave of acknowledgement as is customary from most of the lovely people of Wivenhoe). The dozy bird behind him in a black Chelsea Tractor then decided that she would overtake him as she was obviously far more important than anyone else on the road and proceeded to completely block both sides as she belatedly realised the error of her ways and tried to park diagonally behind him ... :|
  • Sorry @Savvy but you obviously haven't read "The Highway Code for Dozy Birds in Chelsea Tractors",  It's quite brief: "My Rules".  The section on how to park is also missing as I'm sure anyone who does the school run will verify.

If only people would have a bit more awareness of what is in front of them as well as behind and give way a bit more, it's simply not rocket science.  You will arrive all the same, just a little less stressed. 

Heard it rumoured that Waves and Thumbs up are free!

;)

• The Cllr in charge of roads and highways in EEC is Ian Grundy. His email is cllr.ian.grundy@essex.gov.uk. I wrote to him last week (polite but firm, pointing out the accident and likely accidents to come). I'll post his reply when I get it.

Can I suggest the next step if we get no joy here a petition along with some press coverage? We need to get all local Cllr's involved too. I'm not sure this is an issue anyone would fight about much.
  • Treestump said:
    The Cllr in charge of roads and highways in EEC is Ian Grundy. His email is cllr.ian.grundy@essex.gov.uk. I wrote to him last week (polite but firm, pointing out the accident and likely accidents to come). I'll post his reply when I get it.

Can I suggest the next step if we get no joy here a petition along with some press coverage? We need to get all local Cllr's involved too. I'm not sure this is an issue anyone would fight about much.
    "I'm not sure this is an issue anyone would fight about much."

I tend to agree, but wonder if there is not a "silent majority" (I wouldn't normally quote Nixon!) who quietly worry about the standard of driving that we see on a daily basis, both  in terms of excessive speed, use of mobile phones whilst driving, etc. etc...

We've now seen two serious accidents locally in the last week, one of which was fatal and yet when local volunteers attempt to monitor traffic speeds they are met with the following on social media:

"Community w*nkers outside the fire station "

https://www.facebook.com/spottedwivenhoe/

I would dearly love to buy my son a scooter for his 16th birthday, but know all too well that the road to the Colne is a death trap, similarly most of the roads in Wivenhoe are unsafe for young cyclists. 

"We need to get all local Cllr's involved too."

Unfortunately some are part of the problem rather than the solution.

• Jellyhead said:
    Treestump said:
    The Cllr in charge of roads and highways in EEC is Ian Grundy. His email is cllr.ian.grundy@essex.gov.uk. I wrote to him last week (polite but firm, pointing out the accident and likely accidents to come). I'll post his reply when I get it.

I tend to agree, but wonder if there is not a "silent majority" (I wouldn't normally quote Nixon!) who quietly worry about the standard of driving that we see on a daily basis, both  in terms of excessive speed, use of mobile phones whilst driving, etc. etc...

We've now seen two serious accidents locally in the last week, one of which was fatal and yet when local volunteers attempt to monitor traffic speeds they are met with the following on social media:

I would dearly love to buy my son a scooter for his 16th birthday, but know all too well that the road to the Colne is a death trap, similarly most of the roads in Wivenhoe are unsafe for young cyclists. 

"We need to get all local Cllr's involved too."

Unfortunately some are part of the problem rather than the solution.

I would also like to see something done and I will be contacting all three ward councillors to work out the way ahead 
  • Jellyhead said:
    Treestump said:

I think events of the past year has shown us that there are people around who try and pull anything down that's about making progressive change, or any change for that matter. I believe that we shouldn't get too distracted by them, and focus on people that have a more positive and social approach.

I do really think that most sensible people know there's a problem, and these have to act as a counterweight to the speed freaks who are just being anti-social. Glad to see we are getting organised around this issue.

I wonder if anyone's got a connection to the bus companies? They are culprits too, as someone pointed out in this thread.
  • And here's the reply:

Dear .....

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your concerns over speeding in and around Wivenhoe, in particular in The Avenue. I am sorry to read of the problems experienced at this location.

Requests for traffic calming measures are dealt with by the Local Highways Panel (LHP). Essex has Local Highway Panel’s (LHP) in each of our 12 districts. The LHP is responsible for making the decisions about which local highway schemes to recommend for design, costing and implementation in their area. Each panel has a set budget and meets at least four times a year to review requests for their area and prioritise which ones to put forward for further validation and design. 

The LHP, which consists of Local County and Borough/City/District Councillors, consider requests which have sufficient community support as long as there is some degree of justification for it, for example:-

•    The scheme reduces casualties;

•    The scheme improves safety; and

•    The scheme represents good value for money.

In order for your suggestion for traffic calming to be considered you must contact your Local County Councillor, together with details of this suggestion, who will consider how to take this matter forward. Your Local County Councillor is Cllr Julie Young: cllr.julie.young@essex.gov.uk.

Regrettably Essex County Council (ECC) does not install CCTV cameras for the purpose of speeding. The only CCTV cameras used by ECC are used for traffic reporting purposes. As speeding is ultimately a Police matter, speeding vehicles should be reported to the Police on their non-emergency telephone number 101.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I hope this information is of assistance.

Kind regards

Cllr Ian Grundy

Cabinet Member for Highways

In other words, despite that fact he is the council member for highways, it's nowt to do with him. I will forward to Julie.
  • I think the clue is in the name: *local* highways panel. 

Local delegation where the local knowledge is, innit.

Agitate away.