Is there a Great Get Together in Wiv?

looking for a Great Get Together ( in memory of Jo Cox)... seem to remember one was planned?? If so please post details thx.

Comments

• Yep - picnic in the park this Saturday.
  • For more information see the Facebook event page.

Regards

Wivenhoe Town Council Office

• That looks really good. Fingers crossed for a good weather day for Saturday!
  • Forecast is good at the moment, low 20s and dry ...
  • Our preparations are going well for Saturday, and there has been some good press nationally for the great get together in memory of Jo Cox.

Look forward to seeing you all there to help show Wivenhoe's  support.

Remember we will have food and drink available for sale, to aid the fund raising, or you can bring your picnic to the field and maybe make a donation.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• What is the cause that the donations support?
  • What is the cause that the donations support?

Good point.  Sorry I think it's on another thread, and it is on our posters.

Donations and any 'profit' on food and bar will go to support the Wivenhoe Mayor's Fund, and the Jo Cox Foundation.

The Wivenhoe Mayor's Fund of course supports other good causes and community groups within Wivenhoe.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• edited June 17
    The weather forecast is looking good, sunny spells with highs of 26.

https://www.greatgettogether.org/

The video with Brendan Cox and Jamie Oliver is really worth a watch.

Difficult times, get the feeling that the country could do with a bit of a group hug at the moment.

At the risk of sounding like Bob Dylan at Live Aid, I wonder if some of the money might be donated to the Firefighters charity or possibly have a separate collection?

Maybe we should all turn up with Forum Name Badges on and pick a reconciliation with our on-line nemesis?

Just a thought! :)

• I'm in. 
  • Thanks to everyone who came along and supported this event.

We will have Fete on the Field on 1 July.  Hope the weather holds!

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• Thanks also to everybody who worked behind the scenes on this event, but special thanks to Sanchia Nash and Hazel Newton for manning three hot barbecues on a very hot day, and to Claire Kelly and team for running the bar, and to Mark Cory and Lee Mallet for help in getting the gazebos built and the bar and food stock in the right place, to Nigel for helping me to clear the litter from the field, and to Andy and Jim of WTC for their help in making this event possible.

And thanks to anybody else that I may have forgotten!

MikeNewton

• Jellyhead said:

At the risk of sounding like Bob Dylan at Live Aid, I wonder if some of the money might be donated to the Firefighters charity or possibly have a separate collection?

Great idea, but I do not want to go back on what we intended to do.

However, I am very happy to agree to making a donation to the Firefighters' Charity from Fete on the Field on 1 July.  That would be very appropriate, because Essex Fire and Rescue will be at the show and will be doing some public demonstrations of their work.

A further PS to the credits I gave earlier to our helpers.  I would like to thank The Olive Branch Syrian Café for coming along and for starting work at 5am this morning to make the beautiful fresh food that they served us today.  Also a big shout out to Tesco's Community Champion Jo Clarke for the help and support she and her Company gave us today.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• A lovely, relaxing event; thanks to all.  :)
  • It was a really nice, laid back event. Shame the ice cream van didn't stay but we had fab food from the Olive Branch (as usual) and enjoyed the bar!
  • Sad to have missed this but was very happy to plug via Funny Farm mailing list and facebook. Well done all involved.