No Whinging Please

As a country with a 'democratic' parliamentary system, whoever is in Government tomorrow will deserve to be there as a result of the votes cast for them under the system that we are operating under. All of the parties know the rules and most of the electorate do too.

I may well wake up tomorrow to find that a party for which I voted is not in Government. However, I will accept it no matter who is in Government because if you have voted, that is the honorable and mature thing to do. I hope everyone does too. For those that do not vote, you will have a chance to vote at the next General Election but until then, your opinion will carry much less weight.

Comments

• No doubt the Remoaners will complain anyway
  • I think I can guess who you voted for.
  • PSG said:
    I think I can guess who you voted for.
    You're a better guesser than I ;)
    But I endorse the point @unjiniyela made.
  • Do you really think we live in a country with a 'democratic' electoral system?  A properly civilised country which truly cares about engaging their electorate would have a proportional representational system, which ensured that the majority of votes weren't simply wasted.

Until our two monolithic major parties see the light of this, I'll feel perfectly entitled to question the mandate of whoever ends up in Government, even in the teeth of someone preaching at me that this is not the 'honorable & mature thing to do'.

As I said before, complacency leads us down a very questionable road...
  • @puffin It's only fair to call it complacency if you assume that accepting the result is the same as accepting the fitness of the electoral system.
    The two are not the same.
    Feel free to start a thread about PR, whatever.
  • I agree with puffin.
  • I think I'm on record somewhere on this forum as saying that the FPTP electoral system should be replaced by a more representative one.
    But until enough people bother to join the movement to push for this I do believe that whinging about the outcome under the present system is mere self indulgence.
  • adrian said:
    I agree with puffin.

Me too.

I assume that pointing out the spelling mistake in this thread's title would also be dismissed as whingeing, or possibly nut picking.  :D
  • Thanks for the link Marika, but maybe complaining about FPTP is not so much "self indulgence" as "encouraging the conversation about the options". The more people discuss it, the more chance we have of getting it in the long run. :)

• edited June 8
    Ah... also guilty! (in response to Jellyhead)

edited because posts got out of sequence
  • edited June 8
    adrian said:
    Thanks for the link Marika, but maybe complaining about FPTP is not so much "self indulgence" as "encouraging the conversation about the options". The more people discuss it, the more chance we have of getting it in the long run. :)

It was being discussed in Parliament already.
    BTW, you misquote me. I said whingeing about the outcome was self indulgent, not that complaining about FPTP was.
  • Please don't complain when I misquote you. ;-p

• Proportional Representational is okay if you blindly vote for a party and not a real person
  • PSG said:
    I think I can guess who you voted for.
    You're better than me then. I'll be voting later and I'm still not totally decided
  • edited June 8
    You call fighting against the privatisation of the NHS and inequality in our country whingeing?

It's a word a lot of Brexiteers bandied about after the referendum to prevent any further discussion on the matter.

In a democracy people have a right to continue to speak out against injustice and I don't think this is either dishonorable or immature do you?

By the way - do you know that in Wivenhoe small medical procedures, such as ear syringing, are now being charged at the rate of £60 a time by a private clinic in Arlesford? There'll be a lot more DIY health procedures some of which will end up costing the NHS when things go wrong with infections etc

So, I'll continue to 'whinge' (discuss and challenge) important matters that effect the more disadvantaged in our society as much as I like tho not on this forum!
  • You call fighting against the privatisation of the NHS and inequality in our country whingeing?

It's a word a lot of Brexiteers bandied about after the referendum to prevent any further discussion on the matter.

In a democracy people have a right to continue to speak out against injustice and I don't think this is either dishonorable or immature do you?

By the way - do you know that in Wivenhoe small medical procedures, such as ear syringing, are now being charged at the rate of £60 a time by a private clinic in Arlesford? There'll be a lot more DIY health procedures some of which will end up costing the NHS when things go wrong with infections etc

So, I'll continue to 'whinge' (discuss and challenge) important matters that effect the more disadvantaged in our society as much as I like tho not on this forum!

Well said. There is always a place for protest against injustice, however much the other side tries to dismiss it as whingeing
  • In fairness, no-one has suggested that speaking out against injustice, or wanting a different electoral system amounts to  whingeing (to whine, to complain peevishly).

When I wake up tomorrow I may find the party I voted for didn't win.
    What would be the point of whingeing about that?
    I may feel it isn't 'fair'  because of our ghastly FPTP system but that's the way the cookie crumbles until we change it. Concerted action may achieve change, whingeing won't.
    In 5 years time there will be another election. A lot of time in which to keep chipping away at it so hopefully it will have changed by then.

In the meantime there's nothing to stop anybody challenging and debating social injustice and inequality. I wouldn't classify that as whingeing, rather as every conscionable citizen's duty.
  • You could take the view that the only reason we are having an election today is because of successful whinging.

For years right whingers sorry wingers whinged constantly about Europe. "Oh, they won't let me have bent bananas", "Ah, they are forcing human rights on me, the evil cads!" and so on. Eventually they coalesced into the United Komplain Incessantly Party, which spooked our last "strong and stable" Tory PM into holding a referendum that he cleverly lost. That lead Mrs May into power and she complained about not having a strong enough opposition, so called this election to remedy the situation.

There you have the power of positive complaint in a nit shell. :)

• Marika said:
    In fairness, no-one has suggested that speaking out against injustice, or wanting a different electoral system amounts to  whingeing (to whine, to complain peevishly).

When I wake up tomorrow I may find the party I voted for didn't win.
    What would be the point of whingeing about that?
    I may feel it isn't 'fair'  because of our ghastly FPTP system but that's the way the cookie crumbles until we change it. Concerted action may achieve change, whingeing won't.
    In 5 years time there will be another election. A lot of time in which to keep chipping away at it so hopefully it will have changed by then.

In the meantime there's nothing to stop anybody challenging and debating social injustice and inequality. I wouldn't classify that as whingeing, rather as every conscionable citizen's duty.
    I don't remember hearing any whining or peevish complaining or people saying 'it isn't fair' from those with opposing views, only valid concerns about what's happening in our country. I'd be interested to hear some examples of what you mean.
  • adrian said:
    You could take the view that the only reason we are having an election today is because of successful whinging.

For years right whingers sorry wingers whinged constantly about Europe. "Oh, they won't let me have bent bananas", "Ah, they are forcing human rights on me, the evil cads!" and so on. Eventually they coalesced into the United Komplain Incessantly Party, which spooked our last "strong and stable" Tory PM into holding a referendum that he cleverly lost. That lead Mrs May into power and she complained about not having a strong enough opposition, so called this election to remedy the situation.

There you have the power of positive complaint in a nit shell. :)

That's not quite correct, it's not a right wing / left wing thing, it's a nationalist thing. 
  • You call fighting against the privatisation of the NHS and inequality in our country whingeing?

Marika said:
    In fairness, no-one has suggested that speaking out against injustice, ...... amounts to  whingeing (to whine, to complain peevishly).

perhaps "no-one on this thread has suggested..." would have been clearer.
  • edited June 9
    Well as it turns out there is no result. Will it be a progressive coalition or Conservatives backed by Unionists (hilariously stable, of course, that latter option)? The next few days will prove interesting.

I'd like it offer a round of applause to my fellow countrypeople, who refused to do what they were told, no matter how much the opposition were smeared by the press barons and a dishonest campaign. It's restored my faith in this country :). Happy days.

• Jellyhead said:
    adrian said:
    I agree with puffin.

Me too.

I assume that pointing out the spelling mistake in this thread's title would also be dismissed as whingeing, or possibly nut picking.  :D

Fair comment about my spelling Jellyhead. If I make a mistake, I'm quite happy to have it pointed out.

Of course not Amanda. My point is that we have to respect the will of all the people that vote regardless of whether we like it or not. That doesn't mean we should not continue to fight our various 'causes'. The comments being made by many people on both sides of the Brexit vote was childish at best and insulting and verging on slander at worst. Democracy allows, or should allow everyone to have their say and vote for whomever they want to vote for. Complaining without offering a solution or a way to move forward to reaching a solution is a whinge as far as I'm concerned. You have stated that you'll continue to discuss and challenge, that is certainly not a whinge in my book.
  • As for the inconclusive result of last night's election, it is the will of the people and while I may not like it, that's what I have to 'work' with and I'll find a way of doing so. Regardless of whatever party you voted for, the fact that you voted is something I respect you for whether I know you or not.
  • kst said:
    No doubt the Remoaners will complain anyway
    Don´t be so clichéd and unimaginative. Try thinking for yourself.
  • edited June 9
    "VOTE MUPPET.  You will get one anyway."  Didn't realise that would be quite so apt.

Just to clarify the Prime Minister is the one in red.
  • Given the all-out assault by Bernard Jenkin on Corbyn's alleged links to terrorist groups perhaps now would be a good time to Tweet or Email him to clarify his position on this important subject. DUP and their friends oppose Equal Rights for women, Abortion and gay marriage, have supplied weapons to terror groups in Asia and killed many innocent civilians during the Northern Ireland "Troubles".  

For some reason, Bernard isn't very talkative today.