Wivenhoe Quarry extension

Simon Treacy, (Estates Manager, Tarmac Limited, Stanway, Colchester, CO3 0NN) has sent out letters to residents inviting them to attend a public exhibition about extending Wivenhoe Quarry . It is being held in advance of a planning application to Essex County Council.

Date: Tuesday 20th June 2017
Location: St Andrews Church, St Andrews Close, Alresford, Essex, CO7 8BL
Time: 2pm to 8pm

The letter says:
"If this application is approved, Tarmac will extend the quarry on land to the south of the B1027 and east of Sixpenny Brook, to extract more sand and gravel; securing local jobs and continuing to support the local construction industry. Based on our current proposals, we estimate the extension area will have a life span of 20 years and will enable around 4 million tonnes of sand and gravel to be extracted (200,000 tonnes per annum). The current out-of-date plant equipment would be dismantled and a new modern facility would be built in the extension area, which would have a new access road onto the B1027. The current extension area would be restored to nature conservation habitats within a year. The proposed extension area would be progressively restored to a mix of agricultural land and nature conservation habitat, including public access."

The company is asking for feedback from local residents . Anyone interested but unable to attend the event on the 20th June will be able to view materials online from that date at www.tarmac.com/wivenhoe . 
Any questions can be directed to Tarmac's community liaison officer Hannah Wynne on wivenhoe@tarmac.com or 020 3397 0105.

Comments

• Thanks for flagging this up Roger.  Do you know if this likely application is for the extension to Sunnymede which was appears in the 2014 Essex Minerals Plan?  Do you know what is meant by the "current extension area"?  Does it mean the plant on the Wivenhoe side of Keelars Lane will be relocated and this area will be restored?
  • edited June 8
    Thanks for flagging this up Roger.  Do you know if this likely application is for the extension to Sunnymede which was appears in the 2014 Essex Minerals Plan?  Do you know what is meant by the "current extension area"?  Does it mean the plant on the Wivenhoe side of Keelars Lane will be relocated and this area will be restored?
    I have no more information than what was in the letter. But a phone call to Hanna Wynne ( 020 3397 0105 ) should answer those questions.
    I've marked Sixpenny Brook with a blue line on this Google aerial view map. So the new quarry area will be somewhere on farmland to the east of that.

The Wivenhoe Quarry has quite a history:
    http://www.wivenhoehistory.org.uk/content/topics/places-buildings/wivenhoe-quarry/history-of-gravel-extraction-in-wivenhoe

• All,

I have booked the Minibus out from approximately 4pm to 7pm on Tuesday 20 June, and I am willing to do a two or three runs to and from the meeting from a central point (WLH or WTC).

If anybody is interested in having a lift, please contact WTC on 822864 and leave your name and contact number.

Thanks.

Mike Newton

• Great stuff, Mike!
  • I had asked Hannah Wynne (mentioned in Roger's posting) for a few more details.  Tarmac seems very keen to work with the Neighbourhood Plan group and Wivenhoe residents generally.  The current thinking looks like good news for Wivenhoe but less good for Alresford as they are considering demolishing all the gravel processing equipment on the site of the quarry to the west of Keelars Lane, i.e. the Wivenhoe part, and installing modern equipment on the hoped for extension which is nearer to Alresford . This will be quite close to the sites for housing which have recently been given planning permission which is why it is less good news for Alresford.  The plan is to restore all the land to the west of Keelars Lane apart from that part which is leased out for coated stone treatment. This is run by a different company on a leasehold basis.  The idea seems to be that the land would be restored in a wild life friendly way and that there would be some public accessibly open space and footpaths/bridleway.  Can I urge you to go along to the consultation?