Harwich and North Essex Hustings at the University

I'm starting a new thread so as not to cause confusion with the Broomgrove event.

--

There's a hustings at the University on Friday 2 June, 1pm - 2:30pm. Confirmed candidates are Rosalind Scott (Labour) and Bernard Jenkin (Conservative.)

The event takes place at the Essex Business School, Room 2.34. Dr Clara Sandoval, Director of the Human Rights Centre, will Chair. All are welcome, free entry.

Comments

• Saw this on Twitter which explains recommendations in Naylor report for selling off NHS estate:
     #naylorreport
    Tory plan for NHS
  • edited May 31
    I was at the local surgery today and discovered they will no longer be providing services such as consultations to quit smoking, ear syringing and cryotherapy, due to funding cuts.

• And all this despite them getting funding for the patients on their books and falling well short under the doctor/patient recommended ratio. Where's the practice money going then ?

adrian said:
    I was at the local surgery today and dicovered they will no longer be providing services such as consultations to quit smoking, ear syringing and cryotherapy, due to funding cuts.

• So where do we go now for ear syringing? My husband was recently turned away from the Walk in centre and told to go back to his GP!

• I expect the surgery can advise if you call them; I wasn't there for that purpose, so didn't go into the detail.
  • Micro Technology, based in Alresford, do a clinic at Wivenhoe Eye Care (my father recently had his ears syringed) - contact Graeme Sly 07800 720784
  • kstkst
    edited June 1
    will it get better at the new premises ? You got to be joking.
    So where is the money for at least 4/5  FULL time doctors going ?
  • kst said:
    And all this despite them getting funding for the patients on their books and falling well short under the doctor/patient recommended ratio. Where's the practice money going then ?

adrian said:
    I was at the local surgery today and dicovered they will no longer be providing services such as consultations to quit smoking, ear syringing and cryotherapy, due to funding cuts.

Apparently these (and other) services may no longer be offered by GP surgeries on the NHS, and for mole removal (for example) one must now go private. So, the issue of practice per-patient funding is totally irrelevant - these are CUTS and, I would suggest, part of the gradual move towards privatisation of the NHS.

• "these are CUTS and, I would suggest, part of the gradual move towards privatisation of the NHS"

Think what you like, what is happening to the patient funding the practice gets ???? How much money has not been spent with the lower amount of practitioners  ? Where has this money gone ?
    I bet you, not back to the NHS .

adrian said:
    kst said:
    And all this despite them getting funding for the patients on their books and falling well short under the doctor/patient recommended ratio. Where's the practice money going then ?

adrian said:

Apparently these (and other) services may no longer be offered by GP surgeries on the NHS, and for mole removal (for example) one must now go private. So, the issue of practice per-patient funding is totally irrelevant - these are CUTS and, I would suggest, part of the gradual move towards privatisation of the NHS.

• @kst The fact of the services being cut by the NHS is not what I think, it is something I was told by a GP.

Your unrelated question concerning patient funding should probably be directed to the practice manager if you really want an answer.

• kstkst
    edited June 5
    adrian said:
    @kst The fact of the services being cut by the NHS is not what I think, it is something I was told by a GP.

Your unrelated question concerning patient funding should probably be directed to the practice manager if you really want an answer.

I think you'll find that the NHS DOES NOT restrict local doctor practices  from providing whatever services they want to. It comes out of the practice budget.
    The extra money they get for various minor treatments,injections etc. may have been reduced, but you have still not answered where the 'left over' patient payment goes to.
    I have no desire to complain to the surgery as I am not complaining - You are. 

• The NHS will restrict what practices can provide on the NHS.
    Anyway, done arguing with you kst; I believe what I was told by the GP.

• Vasectomies are no longer available on the NHS. Just think about how short sighted that is. 

Anyway, not blaming the NHS, like the Police, Schools, Fire Brigade, Council services, you can only cut so much before things go bad for society. Still, at least the top 5% earners can look forward to no tax increases. 
  • Don't even get me started on the effect that the cuts in Education are having!
  • RE ear syringing, it is available as Lynne helpfully notes, but at £60! This is a particular nightmare for hearing aid users!! 

• Hi,
    For anyone who didn't make the Hustings at the Uni, you are more than welcome to attend the hustings at Broomgorve Infants tomorrow night (Tuesday).  You will have an opportunity to put questions to the candidates and can raise any of the issues that have been discussed here.
  • I resist the creeping privatisation of the NHS, my wife was advised, prior to a hearing test, to buy a wax removal kit which contained a bulb syringe and ear drops as ear syringing is no longer provided by Wivenhoe surgery. She nearly fainted after using it due to pressure in her ear. Instead of a single appointment for syringing my wife required three return visits to have her ears checked. Definitely a backward step for our town.

She has registered her dissatisfaction to the removal of this service with the patient advisory liaison service PALS Tel: 01206 918730. The more people who register their opposition the sooner we may have the service back.

If you just leave it nothing will be done.

• kstkst
    edited June 14
    Thread is Harwich and North Essex Hustings at the University

moderator edit: as this event has passed its vote by date, the thread will now be closed.

This discussion has been closed.