Stag Beetles - Take Care

After finding five stag beetles crushed along just 10m of Park Road early yesterday evening, I think it may be time to introduce a new road sign.

Comments

• That seems a large number to have been trodden on accidentally - perhaps it was done on purpose.
  • A dozen of them in my garden last night!

• Several flying up and down Paget Road  :)
  • Stag beetles seen mating this morning on park road, in the same area as others were squished by cars last week.
  • Can we PLEASE have Park Road as a pedestrian only zone for the next few weeks?
    Stag beetles are in serious decline.
  • Woken in the night to the sound of thumb piano....a stag beetle had come in through open window and had perhaps mistaken it for Mrs SB?!
  • We've got them too.  Does the stuff you put down for woodlice work on stag beetles?  If not, what's the best way to deal with them? 
  • Stag beetles are not a pest!- They are a National Treasure.
  • Jonny said:
    We've got them too.  Does the stuff you put down for woodlice work on stag beetles?  If not, what's the best way to deal with them? 

Please don't kill them, they're harmless and are also classed as a ‘protected species’, listed on Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. 
  • Had a lady (stag beetle) in my alley way yesterday , almost didn't see it which would have led to an early demise via pram wheels but we moved her to the garden instead (after having a good look at her!) . Haven't seen any flying which is a shame, I always think they look so ridiculous, like alien beings that are too heavy to fly 
  • stag beetles mating in Park Road, caught on camera
    stag beetle - ejaculation from Rebecca Rocket on Vimeo.">

• I rescued a stag beetle that had got stuck in a bowl in my garden on Saturday.. Spotted by my little boy. I find people very accommodating to them. And if this thread and the number of spots is anything to go by they are doing well locally. 
  • Stag beetles have a very long larval period (about 4 years) and only a comparatively short period of time (a couple of months) to fly around crashing into things and hoping to find a mate. After they've done the business they die. So it's as important (if not more so) to provide and protect the larval habitats of stag beetles. Rotting wood is ideal, so log piles and beetle hotels are good ways to provide habitat in your garden. We have a number of tree trunk slices dotted around our garden and they all have larvae underneath, which is super fascinating for kids as you can lift them gently and see the larvae, which are as spectacular (if you like things that look completely alien) as the beetles themselves.
  • Asa said:
    I rescued a stag beetle that had got stuck in a bowl in my garden on Saturday.. Spotted by my little boy. I find people very accommodating to them. And if this thread and the number of spots is anything to go by they are doing well locally. 

Wivenhoe has always been a hotspot, along with Lexden. These have remained while staggies have declined in or retreated from much of southern England. Why, we are not sure, but it could certainly be linked to the welcome, largely positive response they get from their human co-habitees, as shown on this thread. Long may that continue!
  • JonC said:
    Stag beetles have a very long larval period (about 4 years) and only a comparatively short period of time (a couple of months) to fly around crashing into things and hoping to find a mate. After they've done the business they die. So it's as important (if not more so) to provide and protect the larval habitats of stag beetles. Rotting wood is ideal, so log piles and beetle hotels are good ways to provide habitat in your garden. We have a number of tree trunk slices dotted around our garden and they all have larvae underneath, which is super fascinating for kids as you can lift them gently and see the larvae, which are as spectacular (if you like things that look completely alien) as the beetles themselves.
    In order to protect them, what do the larvae look like?
  • Can you provide a photo, Chris/Gribble/Glyn...?
  • Thanks Jon. Amazing what the tooth fairies leave behind these days ;-)
  • Thanks Jon. Will look out for them
  • Result!    One of the many strengths of this Forum.   :)
  • Just to say I saw a lady SB mincing along the ground in my garden late this afternoon, at an impressively steady speed.  Lost sight of her among patio pots, but it seemed she might circumnavigate the globe.