Potholes

There are some dreadful potholes in Wivenhoe and I am photographing them and reporting them as I go. Some get done , many do not due to the intervention criteria set by Essex County Council. On a more positive note the following roads are due to be resurfaced :
Alma st
Bath st
Beech avenue
Black Bouy Hill
Brook street
East st
Elm Grove
Ernest rd
Padget rd
Park rd
Parkwood ave
Queens rd
Rebow rd
Vanessa dr
Woodland way

i realise there are many others that need work and I have reported them 

Comments

• Hi Julie, this one resides near #49 Claremont Rd. It is flagged on the council pothole website but listed as not requiring attention at this time. Not sure if the metal spike sticking out of the ground was noted during that assessment.
  • Julie how about the terrible state of pavements especially around Broomgrove school. You told me to my face that it was going to be resurfaced and that was when ECC threatened to remove the crossing patrol. 

I find it odd that swathes of Greenstead has been resurfaced when the condition of the paths and roads done was not as bad as the condition of some of the aforementioned places. 

Ringway Jacobs handing of streetlights is dire with lights out for months or years. 
  • @Julie_Young I noticed some streets in the list are in the conservation area so this may be a good time to flag up the following:
    The yellow lines in the conservation area were incorrectly repainted last time they were done. Both the colour and the width were not as should have been.
    It was pointed out to the contractor at the time of operations but apparently they had instructions to do it as they were doing and carried on regardless.
    I hope we can avoid a repetition of that debacle when they're painted again after the planned resurfacing.

• Let's hope we get a reply as @Rosalind ignored me. 

It's not making me want to vote Labour currently. 

• Mottza said:
    I find it odd that swathes of Greenstead has been resurfaced when the condition of the paths and roads done was not as bad as the condition of some of the aforementioned places. 
    My guess is because in the current context Julie can claim all the credit for things done in Greenstead, but can't here because Mark Cory has been routinely reporting pot holes for ages.

Of course Mark is currently only a Borough Councillor not a County Councillor and pot holes fall under the remit of County......
  • I don't really care who claims the credit so long as they are repaired.
  • @Julie_Young

is there a timescale for this resurfacing  (this year )? 

Also, is this going to be a proper resurface, or just a basic topdressing ?
  • Election time Again
  • I'd never have made the link... ;)
  • Park road footpath (on both sides) could do with resurfacing too!
  • Ernest road doesn't need resurfacing. The road itself needs rebuilding.
  • Ernest Road is only passable with care, not so much potholes as disused mineshafts!

Roads scheduled for re-surfacing are shown on the ECC Website:

Highways Information Map

Looks to be all "Resurfacing Overlay" and Footways will obviously have to wait.
  • It would be interesting to see the total amount ECC spent on roads and pavements in greenstead over last four years against what it spent on wivenhoe . 
  • Interesting to who? I'm only interested in seeing potholes and pavements fixed wherever they are a problem.

• And still Wivenhoe would lose out. 
  • We certainly haven't been treated the same wivenhoe has been neglected 
  • edited April 17
    Maybe but in a wealthy region of a wealthy country like the UK, where the Conservative government tells us the economy is doing swimmingly, I fail to understand why we cannot even maintain the footpaths and roads that once we built. 

Look out on the streets - they are a disgrace. The pavements and roads are literally falling apart. It should not be a choice between Greenstead and Wivenhoe - that is the politics of divide and conquer. Why is there no money in this wealthy region of our wealthy country to maintain the most basic infrastructure that we all use in one way or another?

Yet there is money to build Mega Cities....
  • adrian said:
    Maybe but in a wealthy region of a wealthy country like the UK, where the Conservative government tells us the economy is doing swimmingly, I fail to understand why we cannot even maintain the footpaths and roads that once we built. 

Look out on the streets - they are a disgrace. The pavements and roads are literally falling apart. It should not be a choice between Greenstead and Wivenhoe - that is the politics of divide and conquer. Why is there no money in this wealthy region of our wealthy country to maintain the most basic infrastructure that we all use in one way or another?

Yet there is money to build Mega Cities....

All the money to build the Mega City is being borrowed Adrian
  • Peak debt 99 million with 5% contingency fund . Good luck with that one 
  • I too struggle to understand why Essex County Council cannot afford to do the basic jobs such as maintaining the roads, especially as they apparently have such talented staff.

• Peak debt 99 million with 5% contingency fund . Good luck with that one 

Whose debt are you referring to?

• Would it be ignorant to suggest that maybe the blame for potholes shouldn't lie with Colchester Council but with the Conservative government who have introduced funding cuts? Maybe someone who knows more about the Colchester Council budget could enlighten me as I would be very interested to know if that isn't the case...
  • I think any government would have cuts. But it's ECC to blame with the likes of Rodders. What a p*****r! 
  • adrian said:

Peak debt 99 million with 5% contingency fund . Good luck with that one 

Whose debt are you referring to?

Sorry wrong thread 
  • Bertie said:
    Would it be ignorant to suggest that maybe the blame for potholes shouldn't lie with Colchester Council but with the Conservative government who have introduced funding cuts? Maybe someone who knows more about the Colchester Council budget could enlighten me as I would be very interested to know if that isn't the case...
    It's the county council that looks after the roads, not the borough council
  • Bertie said:
    Would it be ignorant to suggest that maybe the blame for potholes shouldn't lie with Colchester Council but with the Conservative government who have introduced funding cuts? Maybe someone who knows more about the Colchester Council budget could enlighten me as I would be very interested to know if that isn't the case...

But my point still remains doesn't it? Or am I not getting it?
  • Bertie said:
    Bertie said:

But my point still remains doesn't it? Or am I not getting it?
    The county council is conservative controlled, so it's probably quite hard to determine who to blame out of county and central government as they are all reading the same help self book.

And just to be clear, Colchester Borough Council budget has no bearing on the condition of our roads.
  • I do love these sort of promises when it comes to election times

Julie_Young said:
    There are some dreadful potholes in Wivenhoe and I am photographing them and reporting them as I go. Some get done , many do not due to the intervention criteria set by Essex County Council. On a more positive note the following roads are due to be resurfaced :
    Alma st
    Bath st
    Beech avenue
    Black Bouy Hill
    Brook street
    East st
    Elm Grove
    Ernest rd
    Padget rd
    Park rd
    Parkwood ave
    Queens rd
    Rebow rd
    Vanessa dr
    Woodland way

i realise there are many others that need work and I have reported them 

• Councillor Julie Young writing in the Gazette:

"
    Pothole complaints are coming up as a frequent complaint during this election campaign."

Potholes must be repaired much quicker

Somewhat surprising that Cllr Young has only just noticed this as an issue after four years in office, I can only assume that she doesn't get out much.  Did someone say there was an election on the way?
  • I have persistently reported many of these roads and potholes listed. I have the photographs and emails to County to go with it. I'm sure Cllr Julie Young has reported them as well, it is our job to report them as best as possible. Living in Wivenhoe I see the defects and report them regularly - because unfortunately there are so many. 

We have had the same Conservative administration running the County Council for years, and the same County Councillor for years here in Wivenhoe too. I am offering a change, an alternative and I hope to push for much better road and pavements repairs in Wivenhoe - I agree with Mottza about Broome Grove and say that near Millfields school the pavements are also terrible and dangerous for children. So many pavements across Wivenhoe need attention, but we've had nothing for years. (drainage and parking problems persist too).

If elected, I would push to bring Highways back to Colchester and make local decisions on local priorities. That way you can hold your elected officials to account as well. Furthermore, the private contract to Ringway Jacobs has been a disaster, how was this allowed to happen? Many other authorities have a slick in-house team of 'pothole moles' who go out daily with the sole job of pothole and pavement repairs. Again, one idea I would push for.