Announcing....Open Sheds Day

After the success of the annual Wivenhoe Open Gardens day, I'm delighted to confirm that this year we will also have Open Sheds Day. 

Fancy a day of strolling around our town, meeting new friends and having a good old nose around other people's sheds?

Just like the 2017 Open Garden day, Open Sheds will be an "opt-out" event. Because so many are opening their property up to strangers for the day, it's becoming easier to identify which properties aren't involved. The official "My Shed's Not Open" signs will be available from the Town Hall on the Friday morning before the event, priced £15.   

All of the some of the proceeds will go to local charities. 

Date is to be confirmed. Further exciting updates and information to follow. 

For Health & Safety reasons, greenhouses, coal bunkers, kennels and aviaries cannot be part of the attractions on Open Sheds Day. 

Comments

• will this include privvies ?
  • @Mike what about ancient saxon burial mounds? To whom should I send the risk assessment?
  • there are probably still a few air raid shelters that should be opened up too ... 
  • Saxon burial grounds day is next year, we had problems. 
  • Brilliant: I think Wivenhoe's ready for this...!
  • What, burying Saxons ????
  • And that's another interesting idea (besides 'shed day')...   ;)
  • perhaps we should twin with Lerwick and hold a local Up Helly Aa ....
  • What's the date today?
  • Saxon Burial Day ?
  • Will one of the woodsheds will contain something nasty?
  • Bugger, really wanted this to be real ! Love old sheds, found a 1950's cast iron Suffolk colt in a shed that came with a previous house, spent an entire summer restoring it. Ahhh bliss..

• Yes despite it being April Fools I'd love to look around some of the sheds and workshops in Wivenhoe. I've just written an article on the tiny homes movement and frankly got a bit overexcited by the concept.
  • That was why I ignored the fact that it was originally a wind-up, the idea does actually have legs. There are probably some interesting buildings in people's gardens too, I know of air raid shelters and there's a private Chapel too ....

Throw the thought of a space in the town like a Maker Space and a few people with ailing stationary engines etc and you have the germ of a really good idea for the town and community ...
  • Not quite the open approach that I had in mind .....
  • NickT said:
    Not quite the open approach that I had in mind .....
    Not even I'm allowed in there Nick
  • Ah, best draw a veil over that then - well, that still leaves a few more to explore .... 
  • Could take this further . Open fridges day, open wardrobes, open attics and lofts. Charities would make a fortune.
  • Open sewers
  • hmmm. dud5ers said:
    Could take this further . Open fridges day, open wardrobes, open attics and lofts. Charities would make a fortune.
    Open wardrobes... a cross between a Narnia tribute and second hand clothes sale? It has possibilities.
  • I'd be perfectly happy to open my garage. It's full of rubbish and unused tools (never have any time!) but the cat seems to find it remarkably interesting, so maybe I'm missing something.
  • Perhaps we should instigate a "makers trail" based on people with surplus materials or tools putting them up for other folk to browse / buy ...