Broadband Service

I was wondering what people thought of the quality of broadband provision in Wivenhoe.
We've been with Supanet for years, and have been fairly happy with our basic service (we don't download films or games etc.), but in recent months our speeds drop off the edge of a cliff (from 10 to 1mb) from 3pm onwards, and by evening we're getting 0.7, and everything just freezes up.

We realise this would appear to be a 'traffic' related problem, but find it difficult to see why there's such a dramatic fall in our service.  Up till now, Supanet haven't proved very helpful over this question either.

Our usage doesn't justify a move to more costly fibre broadband, so it would be helpful to have suggestions/comments on what our other options might be; is changing provider really a simple solution to this?

Comments

• A big cause of this problem is a "noisy" line.
    If you go to make a telephone call, the line should be perfectly clear. No crackles or fuzziness as these will degrade the data speed.
    This can be caused by bad wiring in the house, but more commonly a fault at an outside wiring connection.
    Should you have a noisy line, keep pestering your broadband supplier who would have to send Openreach to check it out.  .
  • Depends in Wivenhoe on whereabouts you live as to whether a fast service is available. 

At the Nook end of Bobbits Way we are with BT Internet and get between 13 and 15 Mbps on the BT Internet 'Faster Broadband' service. Speeds drop in the evening but that's a traffic issue, I think when all the kids do their 'online gaming' and people start downloading films and so on. 

It says on their website that Fibre and 65 Mbps is availble for our post code but when we tried to get it we were told that we were too far away from the cabinet. AFAIK any normal provider uses the BT or Openreach infrastructure so I guess that would be the score, unless service comes from Sky or via cable, which we haven't got. 

Other ERS than the speed we are quite happy with BT Internet, having changed 2 years or so ago from Tiscali / TalkTalk, which had become a problem. 

Friends on Mersea, on the other hand, get 65 Mbps regularly from their BT service..........
  • Similar experience just off Bobbits Way - Getting approx 16 Mbps although ISP suggested > 30Mbps.

Connected to cabinet on Rectory Hill just opposite Bowes Road/Millfield - engineer advised when installing that most of the Wimpey built estate was cabled in aluminium rather than copper to save costs when built in 1980's.

This is restricting the speed and no chance of improvement unless ripped out and replaced.

Unlikely!
  • puffin said:
    I was wondering what people thought of the quality of broadband provision in Wivenhoe.
    We've been with Supanet for years, and have been fairly happy with our basic service (we don't download films or games etc.), but in recent months our speeds drop off the edge of a cliff (from 10 to 1mb) from 3pm onwards, and by evening we're getting 0.7, and everything just freezes up.

We realise this would appear to be a 'traffic' related problem, but find it difficult to see why there's such a dramatic fall in our service.  Up till now, Supanet haven't proved very helpful over this question either.

Our usage doesn't justify a move to more costly fibre broadband, so it would be helpful to have suggestions/comments on what our other options might be; is changing provider really a simple solution to this?
    Had a very similar problem to this a couple of months ago, it turned out that a cable wasn't plugged in correctly in a cabinet or the local exchange. Apparently since all the cabinets have various service providers equipment in them sometimes things 'get a bit messy'.

The symptoms were exactly as you describe and would render the connection completely useless in the evening.

Anyway we got a special openreach engineer out eventually (third time) who started at the socket in our house and worked back until he found the fault - which he fixed.

The issue from a customer perspective was getting this different type of openreach engineer as it took a bit of pestering, the reseller type broadband providers don't always like getting these guys out because i think it is outside their normal SLA and they have to pay for it - and the engineer will stay on site until the problem is resolved, so could be expensive (for them).

I would guess that supanet aren't being very helpful because they don't want to call out this more expensive openreach engineer.

• You may want to use BT Wholesale speed checker website (BT Openreach engineers use this) which will also tell you what your service is capped at. Ideally when you do this you should connect straight to the router with a ethernet cable thus eliminating the WiFi signal in your house.  

Plusnet quoted us approx 14mbps but when ours started paying up and I checked it was capped at 4 Mbps....They reset it for me whilst I was on the phone to them!!

• Using BT fibre in lower wiv. So far download speed of 65mb and upload of 20mb exactly as BT predicted. 
    Cant complain! 
  • I saw this on the BBC website: Ofcom plans instant payback for broadband woes - BBC News
  • Thanks for that, Glyn; however, that is clearly something which MAY prove helpful in the distant future, as it's only out for 'consultation' just now, so you can imagine the timescale.

As far as I can tell, we don't have a 'noisy' line, as our calls sound quite clear, and speeds can reach close to 12mb in morning & early a/n.  A poor cabinet connection does sound interesting though; but again, as suggested, our provider are anxious to avoid the costs of this, so they're simply 'monitoring our speeds' at the moment. Nor do we need/want to pay a substantial extra sum for fibre!

Many thanks for everyone's suggestions to date. Other suggestions/miracle fixes (!) warmly welcomed...
  • Vine Drive with talktalk we get 36 to 38 down 2meg up, great service, good phone line too, no complaints for years
  • £32 a month bb ftc and phone all unlimited
  • Plusnet is 45mbps down & 5 mbps at Vine Farm. Broadband, line rental and eve and weekend calls for £27/mth
  • Pointyhead - I wouldn't  trust talk talk with my personal data and details. 

• Unlimited ?

Mottza said:
    Plusnet is 45mbps down & 5 mbps at Vine Farm. Broadband, line rental and eve and weekend calls for £27/mth

• Smaller user base for the broadband supplier, up to 50 users per IP address = BAD connection at peak. Change supplier
  • KST,  Yes it is unlimited.