Dog fouling

To the good folks of Wivenhoe. When walking your dogs on The Quay and West Quay, please put your dogs on a lead, so they don't end up pooing behind your back. Please bear in mind that people live there and it really isn't nice for them to be greeted by a pile of dog poo on their doormats!

Comments

• Wow!, a bit draconian! And dare I say unreasonable. 

I suggest the more reasonable  request would be to ask that all dog owners in Wivenhoe, when walking their dogs on any public highway, to keep an eye on their dogs to ensure they do not poo behind their backs. 

• from the government web site: https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/dog-fouling

"You can be given an on-the-spot fine if you don’t clean up after your dog. The amount varies from council to council. It’s often £50 and can be as much as £80.

If you refuse to pay the fine, you can be taken to court and fined up to £1,000."

Not sure if CBC implement it but there is provision for local authorities to fine you if you are challenged to prove that you have bags on you and don't if you're out with a dog too, but it shouldn't need the threat of legal actions or fines to persuade people to be a bit more considerate ... 

• No Joe, it is not unreasonable at all! You are new in town, so you're not aware of the ongoing dog fouling issue and dogs running loose and not being kept under control, in this part of town. How would you like it, if you had dog poo on your door mat or on your property almost every day? Children play on the quay and it is disgusting if they get it on them! 

• BeHappy said:
    No Joe, it is not unreasonable at all! You are new in town, so you're not aware of the ongoing dog fouling issue and dogs running loose and not being kept under control, in this part of town. How would you like it, if you had dog poo on your door mat or on your property almost every day? Children play on the quay and it is disgusting if they get it on them! 

Yes, I am new but I'm not sure if that means I don't have a grasp of reasonableness, or that I don't have a right to comment. 

Are you really suggesting that all dog owners should be restricted by the actions of a very small minority. Because if you are, where do you stop? Should we ban all children from the quay because some of them may shout too loudly? 

The Quay is for the reasonable enjoyment of all, including the householders. I find it abhorrent that you have experienced dog mess on your property, or indeed in any public place. But I will continue to walk my dog off the lead, take full responsibility for its behaviour and pick up if its fouls the area. 
  • But of course you will! Show no consideration for the residents! Now why doesn't that surprise me?! 
  • I had expected reasoned conversation and an intelligent exchange of views and ideas on this forum! - you disappoint. 

BeHappy - be happy

• Ditto! 

You have turned a polite request into a complete shambles, because you don't like being told what to do! Not the ideal way to make friends in this town Sir!

So next time you walk your dog off its lead, do bear in mind that you are actually walking on other people's property and they would like you to be considerate. End of story. Thank you and goodbye.

• Golly! 

Are you sure the offending dogs are off their leads?  I've certainly seen dogs taking a dump whilst firmly attached, and seen the owner walk away.  And - far more often - someone picking up after their dog whilst it is off-lead.

I'd have thought most owners who felt comfortable about letting a dog off its lead in an open area would also have a pretty good idea of when it is likely to go for a turn out.  They are creatures of habit.

• And yes, of course a discussion can be an exchange of opinions. I just wish some of these threads didn't end up being a battleground for someone to win or lose an argument. 

Discussions achieve so much more when there is empathy, openness and a desire to seek an outcome in everyone's best interest as far as is possible.

I rest my case.
  • Folks, I am sorry, but I just can't let BeHappy's last post just rest. I know I should be the bigger man ( or lady???) and Glyn, you are quite right about threads becoming a battleground for the intransigent and sometimes sad, but seriously !

"I turned a polite request into a shambles because I don't like to be told what to do" and to further "I am walking on "other people's property"

Really?

So, the result is that someone is letting their dog poo on BeHappys front mat. The answer is not the dictate that all dogs should be kept on a lead, but that some dog owners should be more considerate. 

There does not appear to be the implied mass defacation with wild dogs roaming ferociously in packs, but just one incident will result in reactions like BeHappy's. So Dog owners, to avoid wasting a few minutes of your life reading such drivel as this thread - please pick up after you.