Payment process

Just wandered what peoples experience / views are on traders who quote for a job asking for payments of 33% in advance of starting a job then another 33% during the job, and the final payment on completion..

Is this normal practice ?

Tom

Comments

• Depends how big the job is, I often bill like that.
  • Quite common on big jobs.
  • Depends on the job, if something is being made to measure  etc it's a staged payment process.
  • Yes we paid for our building work like that. Quite normal.  It's why you need to know you trust your tradesperson and why they have to trust you.  They will need to order materials etc in advance.  
  • Ok - thanks for all the comments, the reason I ask is its some general painting and repointing and some internal work that totals just into 4 figures - just seemed a little strange for a relatively small amount  - and I haven't used them before - so any other advice welcome before I decide .....
  • panda said:
    Ok - thanks for all the comments, the reason I ask is its some general painting and repointing and some internal work that totals just into 4 figures - just seemed a little strange for a relatively small amount  - and I haven't used them before - so any other advice welcome before I decide .....

This looks like a job that is mostly labour, not lots of bulk materials to be ordered.  If you are mobile and able to get out maybe you buy the paint, or get a shopping list from the person doing the work and you collect or order it. Then you pay for the labour as the job progresses, or better still at the end.

It really comes back to knowing your contractor/handyman.  There are plenty of people who have a perfectly good relationship along the lines you describe.  There are equally examples close to home of people being ripped off as we speak.

You will have to make a judgement.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• I don't think this is normal, but it can depend on the size of the job. It is about trust, which can be difficult if it's the first time someone has worked with you.

Stage payments after chunks of work is completed is more normal. A tradesmen who believes in their quality of work should be comfortable with that.

i wouldn't be paying £300 upfront for a £1,000 mainly-labour job. The job will be done in a few days, so that is very odd!