Spring bird race for a good cause

As part of this year's WWW programme, I will undertake a hyperlocal bird race on either 29th or 30th April

The last time I did this was 8 years ago with the help of (my) Debbie, Alec Selley, Nick Green and his Jack Russell terrier, Jasper. We aimed to find 100 different species of bird in our locality on one day. In doing so we raised over £1,000 for the Headway charity.

This year I will post bulletins throughout the day to let people know where I am and how I am getting on. Feel free to join me for some of the walk. The two alternatives I have considered are to walk the entire Wivenhoe trail from central Colchester to Bateman's Tower at Brightlingsea (via Thorrington Mill) or perhaps just keeping to within a 2.5 mile radius of Wivenhoe town centre.

And I will also be inviting sponsorship for a local good cause.

Watch this space.

Comments

• OK, I have decided to use the Comgregational Church's charity status to create a ring-fenced community fund, so that any money raised from.the venture is used for community events. All eligible sponsorships/donations can thus be gift-aided. Otherwise it would have been the mayor's fund (not eligible for gift aid) but we might as well get more bang for the buck...

Does anyone have a suggestion other than Just Giving for facilitating online contributions?

Thanks.

• So I have gone most of the way through the registration process with Just Giving, to find that they need a monthly membership fee of £15 plus VAT.

As much as I would love to think that the generous folk of Wivenhoe would make sufficient annual donations to make this worthwhile, it seems a bit difficult to justify.

So can I ask again if anyone knows a free (or cheaper) service I can use for accepting sponsor money?

The money would go to supporting community projects.

The alternative would be for someone to suggest another local, community-focused charity I can support who are already set up for online donations....
  • Glyn said:
    As part of this year's WWW programme, I will undertake a hyperlocal bird race on either 29th or 30th April

The last time I did this was 8 years ago with the help of (my) Debbie, Alec Selley, Nick Green and his Jack Russell terrier, Jasper. We aimed to find 100 different species of bird in our locality on one day. In doing so we raised over £1,000 for the Headway charity.

This year I will post bulletins throughout the day to let people know where I am and how I am getting on. Feel free to join me for some of the walk. The two alternatives I have considered are to walk the entire Wivenhoe trail from central Colchester to Bateman's Tower at Brightlingsea (via Thorrington Mill) or perhaps just keeping to within a 2.5 mile radius of Wivenhoe town centre.

And I will also be inviting sponsorship for a local good cause.

Watch this space.
    Hi Glyn - I´ve just moved to Wivenhoe and am a keen birdwatcher. Have you got a better idea whether the bird race will be on the Saturday or Sunday (29 or 30 April)? Cheers, Chris
  • Hi Chris.

All things being equal it will.be on the Sunday. I need to get my act together with respect to the Just Giving exercise otherwise I'll be doing it for the good of my health...

I will probably be out on Sunday morning if you want to join me...?
  • No, I think I am giving up on Just Giving. It has proved just too damned difficult.

It might have to be envelopes or buckets...
  • Apologies for radio silence on this, but a recent health issue put the exercise in some doubt.

The forecast looks ok for Sunday (dry, if cloudy with slight risk of showers) but interestingly with south-easterly winds which is ideal for pushing spring migrants through...

We will start at 4.30am on Ferry Marsh (our usual preference for dawn chorus) and then walk the trail to the Hythe and loop back round via Boundary road and down the hill through Wivenhoe Woods. 

From there we will take the "scenic" route via gravel pits and farmland to be around Alresford Creek by mid-afternoon as the tide comes in.

Although I failed to register the church's community fund with Just Giving for sponsorship, I will be recounting the highlights of the day at Springwatch on May 5th (See Chris Gibson's thread on this) so if anyone feels like coming along to that, there might be a bucket for your loose change after you have enjoyed the presentation and the barbecue as well as the moth trapping...

I will be posting updates on here (via Twitter) so you can see how the day (and the species total) progresses and perhaps you might even join us for some of the walk.

We will probably stop for a tea break at the jetty around breakfast time...

Wishing you all a great bank holiday weekend, whatever less eccentric way you choose to spend it... ☺