The Bakehouse is closing at the end of February

Sad news, the Bakehouse is closing at the end of the month.

Lets make sure its not converted into housing/flats

Comments

• This is very sad news... a real shame to lose a wonderful restaurant which serves such great food and gives a high level of service.  

It is an asset to Wivenhoe and it is not good to hear it is closing.

Best wishes go to everyone involved in the restauarant 
  • That's a shame, i hope it goes on the market as a going concern
  • Such a shame as it is indeed a great restaurant.
  • That will be a miss!

• This is very sad news. It's been a wonderful venue for the Bookshop Reading Group. The food is great. 
  • I believe the Bakehouse is leased to those running the restaurant.  Is it known whether the Bakehouse is closing because not enough of us used it or because the owners are keen to change its use?  One application to convert the building to two dwellings was refused but a second application has been put in, this time to create a four bedroomed dwelling plus a very minimal office/retail space.  The first application was refused partly on the grounds that its use as a restaurant contributed to the mix of uses on the High St. 
  • Sorry the Bakehouse is closing. It always felt very special eating there.
  • This news is a sad end to the declining 'good' food trade in Wivenhoe.
    'Jardine's' - Gone!
    Greyhound' - was quite exciting when it was led from the kitchen a year or too back.
    'Tapas On the Corner' - if you could avoid upsetting the owners ,was quite novel but gone!
    'Valentino's' - I know its always full but it has been  the same old boring menu  for years.
    'Blackbuoy' - OK at best. Not reliably good enough. Often disappointing.
    'Rose & Crown' - London pub chain food, say no more!
    'Bengal Spice' -  Last two visits, very disappointing.
    Just leaves three cafes, closed at night, and the chippies.
    I shall visit Wivenhoe a lot less.....!
  • Don't forget the Horse and Groom which continue to dish up really good pub grub - every time I have eaten there it has been excellent
  • bagger1 said:
    Don't forget the Horse and Groom which continue to dish up really good pub grub - every time I have eaten there it has been excellent
    Great Food , lunchtimes Mon- Sat and a curry night first Tuesday of the month.
    Home cooking at its best and great value. 

• @nobbit I think you're being pretty harsh on some decent eateries in the village that fill different appetite niches. And you're really comparing apples with oranges. Only the Bakehouse provides a "high end" eating option in Wivenhoe and I shall be sad to see it close. 
  • Will be sad to see the Bakehouse close have had some very good meals there with friends and family since I moved to Wiv. 
  • On the subject of eateries, does anybody know what is happening to On The Corner? Really miss the place.
  • Basically what I was saying was that Wivenhoe, which has a discerning community, had for a number of years a good and improving food scene which reflected that community, but has now seen a reversal of that process with limited prospects of a revival as premises close and change function.
    Good question! What will now happen to 'On the Corner' and the Bakehouse. Have they a future as restaurants?

• Not sure I believe any of this. We've been here before on this forum. 
  •     Quentin said: Not sure I believe any of this. We've been here before on this forum. 

Would you believe it if the Wivenhoe Watcher posted it as the headline on the Essex Chronicle Quentin? ;)
  • Just looked at the Essex Chronicle. Makes The Sun look like a journal of record. 
    Perhaps The Bakehouse is closing. Perhaps not. Sad if it is 

• Quentin said:
    Just looked at the Essex Chronicle. Makes The Sun look like a journal of record. 
    Perhaps The Bakehouse is closing. Perhaps not. Sad if it is 

Sorry Quentin it was a joke. I was making reference to this forum topic that you posted on:

http://wivenhoeforum.co.uk/discussion/comment/51202/#Comment_51202

• edited February 15
    The current owner is moving and so it is closing at the end of the month....