LItter Faeries strike again!

So... a new challenge for 2017.!!    See how far I can walk along the trail, collecting rubbish, before the bin liner becomes full or too heavy to carry.  Today I got up to the double benches -   only easily accessible rubbish collected - before it became pretty heavy with wine and beer bottles etc (at least the decorative plastic bags of poo arranged on bushes didnt weigh much!)

Will see how far I can get in a month's time.

If litter  concerns you, please check out the Keep Britain Tidy website.   http://www.greatbritishspringclean.org.uk/home/2684

Also the red Biffa Mixed recyclables bin outside the station was unfortunately locked or at least jammed shut so that I couldn't put the numerous plastic drinks bottles in, which was a pity.

Comments

• Well done Judith - and all the other Litter Faeries who quietly get on with making Wivenhoe a better and more dignified place without any judgemental earache.

Happy New Year!
  • Nice one! This is also something I do on my walk up to the Uni and back when I have time. A year ago it was ridiculous, I would fill the bag sometimes before getting past Ferry Marsh! But thanks to the efforts of WivSoc, Wiv Kayak Club, Uni volunteers and others this year the path and river litter is somewhat under control. Very encouraging to know people are out there doing it. You're either part of the solution or part of the problem! Wivenhoe Wombling Club anyone?

• Well done 
  • YES!!!! Fly faeries, fly!

• One of our wonderful, undersung Litter Faeries @Heyjude strikes again, to 'magically disappear' (ie recycle) a pile of 55 (YES, FIFTY-FIVE!!!) Coke cans and a few tomato cans we found in Wivenhoe Woods. Thanks Jude!

But I'm not as tactful as her. So I want to shout WHY? WHY? WHY does anybody feel the need to cart a sackful of those items down to our lovely woods, much frequented by people and pets alike, and dump them there in full view. If it was you, do you have no respect for the world, other people and yourself?
  • One of our wonderful, undersung Litter Faeries @Heyjude strikes again, to 'magically disappear' (ie recycle) a pile of 55 (YES, FIFTY-FIVE!!!) Coke cans and a few tomato cans we found in Wivenhoe Woods. Thanks Jude!

But I'm not as tactful as her. So I want to shout WHY? WHY? WHY does anybody feel the need to cart a sackful of those items down to our lovely woods, much frequented by people and pets alike, and dump them there in full view. If it was you, do you have no respect for the world, other people and yourself?
    Whoever it is who has dumped those cans won't be reading this forum, Chris, so how do we get the message through to these numpties?
  • Worse to come I fear, now we have the 2 weekly rubbish collection
  • kst said:
    Worse to come I fear, now we have the 2 weekly rubbish collection
    The two weekly rubbish collection is a good thing, people will get the hang of it soon enough. 

• very interesting article on re-cycling in the latest edition of New Scientist - worth a read
  • kst said:
    The two weekly rubbish collection is a good thing, people will get the hang of it soon enough. 

So you reckon this will prevent fly-tipping ? Not if your rubbish is not collected 

• kst said:
    kst said:

So you reckon this will prevent fly-tipping ? Not if your rubbish is not collected 

You're drawing conclusions about the value of a system from outliers
  • kst said:
    kst said:

Rubbish
  • kst said:
    kst said:
    kst said:

Rubbish
    lol ok

We should probably look at speed limits next, as clearly they don't prevent most people from adhering to reasonable speeds because i've seen a car doing about 120mph on the A12 a few months ago.
  • edited July 22
    The problems arising from the recent changes in waste collection and the more general issue of litter in our streets, parks and woodland are merely different aspects of the same problem, as a society we don't care enough about the waste we generate, it is someone else's problem, throw and forget.  Fortnightly household waste collections do not lead to fly tipping, an attitude of "couldn't give a damn" leads to fly tipping, as well as rubbish strewn parks, streets and woods. 

Nationally I think we need to be moving more towards a German model of deposits on bottles, cans, plastic bottles etc..  This is very much back to the future, the norm on glass bottles in the 60's and 70's as I remember.   How many times does a milk bottle get re-used before it gets recycled? 

Locally I think we need to thank our litter faeries as well as joining their ranks.  I also like @JonC's idea:  "Wivenhoe Wombling Club anyone?"  I'm up for that, but only if I can be Tomsk!
  • If anyone goes by Whitehouse Beach in the next day or two I'd be interested to see its general state.

There were four tents there this morning and two lads were sat outside this morning at around 7.30 when I came by. I chatted briefly to them, offered advice on the weather if they were striking camp today and expressed gratitude in advance for leaving the place as they found it.

I know that being civil and appealing to people's better nature doesn't work all the time but I find it works better for me.

But I reiterate thanks for Wivenhoe's Litter Faeries and all those who volunteer their time and energy to make Wivenhoe a great place to live.
  • Glyn said:
    If anyone goes by Whitehouse Beach in the next day or two I'd be interested to see its general state

I think the answer to that one can be found over on the Spotted Wivenhoe Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/spottedwivenhoe/

• Thanks @Jellyhead but I would not suppose to blame the kids I met on 23rd July for a mess that was reported on 4th August.

That would be quite unfair.
  • Glyn said:
    Thanks @Jellyhead but I would not suppose to blame the kids I met on 23rd July for a mess that was reported on 4th August.

That would be quite unfair.

The initial post on Facebook dates from Aug 1st rather than the 4th, but I take your point @Glyn  looks to have been an ongoing problem, rather than any specific individual or group.
  • kst said:
    ,Grow up will you and stop moaning about everything. People drop litter whether there´s a weekly, bi-weekly or daily rubbish collection. If you recycle, the bi-weekly rubbish collection is perfectly adequate.

• kst said:
    ,Grow up will you and stop moaning about everything. People drop litter whether there´s a weekly, bi-weekly or daily rubbish collection. If you recycle, the bi-weekly rubbish collection is perfectly adequate.

Glad you're okay JACK

• kst said:

Kindly let me know where you live and perhaps you can dispose of the 4 bags of polystyrene for me.

• edited August 8
    kst said:
    kst said:

Kindly let me know where you live and perhaps you can dispose of the 4 bags of polystyrene for me.

The household items drop off service is in town this Saturday (12th Aug): Rosabelle Ave/Parkwood Ave, 8:00-9:15am;  Henrietta Close, 9:30-10:45am.  I think they should be able to take your polystyrene.

Household Items Drop-Off Service

If it is large pieces, such as used for packing white goods, it may be worth just leaving it loose on Wednesday, you never know the may well take it; the limit is, after all, on black bin bags!

• Jellyhead said:
    kst said:
    kst said:

The household items drop off service is in town this Saturday (12th Aug): Rosabelle Ave/Parkwood Ave, 8:00-9:15am;  Henrietta Close, 9:30-10:45am.  I think they should be able to take your polystyrene.

If it is large pieces, such as used for packing white goods, it may be worth just leaving it loose on Wednesday, you never know the may well take it; the limit is, after all, on black bin bags!

Wait, are you saying that they offer a separate collection for polystyrene similar to how we can leave large pieces of flattened cardboard out for collection? I have always put my polystyrene in black bin bags believing it to be the only option. Or am I getting over excited & you are simply making a hopeful suggestion?
  • Bertie said:
    Jellyhead said:
    kst said:
    kst said:

Wait, are you saying that they offer a separate collection for polystyrene similar to how we can leave large pieces of flattened cardboard out for collection? I have always put my polystyrene in black bin bags believing it to be the only option. Or am I getting over excited & you are simply making a hopeful suggestion?

It was more in the hope that some common sense would prevail, but I have a horrible feeling that kst's only options may be to put the polystyrene in with the three black bags or take a trip to the tip.  I'd still give the other two ideas a try though.

• Wait, are you saying that they offer a separate collection for polystyrene similar to how we can leave large pieces of flattened cardboard out for collection? I have always put my polystyrene in black bin bags believing it to be the only option. Or am I getting over excited & you are simply making a hopeful suggestion?
    Now I'm getting over excited, didn't realise bin men would collect large pieces of unbagged cardboard! After all the time I've spent struggling to fold the stuff and compless it into bags, which usually then split.
  • Ditto - didn't realise they offered the drop-off service either.

Maybe a leaflet to every household detailing the full range of refuse collection services our council tax pays for might be in order...