The Olive Branch, Syrian food shop and cafe in Wivenhoe

Hello All, 

Some of you may already be aware, we are delighted to announce that the launch event for The Olive Branch on 1a Station Road is on the 27th of December 4:30 till 6:30pm. Follow our page on Facebook if you'd like to hear more about us and to follow our updates. 
http://www.facebook.com/TheOliveBranchWivenhoe/ 

For those of you who haven't heard of us, The Olive Branch will be offering a wide range of authentic dishes from the Syrian cuisine including tabbouleh, hummus, falafel, olives, and a lot more. We have been working with the local community and we are proud to announce we will be offering opportunities to a number of Syrian refugees in Colchester who wish to work in the food industry and who are being trained to get their required certification for this type of work . Thanks to all the lovely people who are working with the refugees and who helped us to achieve this, as Syrians ourselves we know very well how harsh life has been... oh and we know how dangerously delicious our food can be ;) Did I mention our menu is all vegetarian?!

Opening times, menus, etc. will be updated on the Facebook page so stay tuned :) and there will (most likely) be a job vacancy which will be announced on the page too. 

Please come and join us on the 27th or any day after. In the meantime we wish you a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays. 

All the best
The Olive Branch 

Comments

• That sounds really exciting and I am sure that I will not be alone in wishing you the very best of luck with the launch and what will, hopefully, be a busy and profitable 2017. I am looking forward to popping in to try out some of the mouth-watering dishes, as I already know and love the cuisine.
  • Fantastic news, I hope the opening goes well and I look forward to visiting in the new year.

• Good luck with the Olive Branch!  We look forward to sampling your food...   :)
  • Thank you all :) we look forward to seeing many of you soon. Happy Christmas! 
  • Good luck.
    I missed your opening,
    But will be there.

• julio said:
    Good luck.
    I missed your opening,
    But will be there.

julio said:
    Good luck.
    I missed your opening,
    But will be there.

Good luck.
    I missed your opening,
    But will be there.
  • We had the sharing platter and really enjoyed it, a welcome addition to dining options in Wivenhoe.
  • What are the opening hours?  There did not appear to be a notice on the door when I last looked.  I know there is a Facebook entry but it seems necessary to register with Facebook to get full details.
  • From Facebook:

... opening hours are Monday to Saturday 11:00 till 20:00 and Sunday 11:00 till 17:00

So they are open now :)

• I think their opening hours should be displayed in their window: it would help generate custom?
  • puffin said:
    I think their opening hours should be displayed in their window: it would help generate custom?
    They told me this morning they are going to do that.
  • Just had the platter for one to share with two. Baba was divine. Madimmas was fantastic. Hummus was good but a tad too much cumin for our tastes. Verdict: can't wait to stuff our faces with it again! :) This is a lovely addition to Wivenhoe and we wish them lots of luck and business!
  • Hello everyone, sorry we have been super busy that we did not manage to sort out these details. We are definitely going to put up our opening hours and the menu on the door (opening hours are now written on the side wall of the shop by the small window but they will go on the door too). All the details posted by other members of the forum are correct (menus etc.) and thanks for the feedback and all the support, it has been amazing. 
    Re hummus, we do add cumin to our hummus (lots of health benefits to it) but I will check the amounts and see if it needs adjusting, I am glad you liked the food :) 
  • I love cumin! (Just goes to show it's impossible to please everybody all the time). I can't wait to try out this place and will be glad to have a friendly tasty dining option in Wivenhoe.
  • Popped in this afternoon after a bit of a walk to shake off the mid-festive season stir craziness.

We opted for the falafel wraps and I had a herbal tea whilst the other half went for a Turkish coffee. The wraps were really lovely, coming with olives, salad and some punchy pickled veg. The herbal tea was really nice and the coffee much appreciated, although a fellow visitor found it too strong and suggested that the Olive Branch should do something for English people ... that'll be an Italian cappuccino then ;)

A couple of observations whilst we were there ... the windows were completely steamed up, as it's pretty cosy and toasty inside whilst being freezing, foggy outside. We could see some people walking by that appeared to be put off by not being able to peer inside before deciding whether or not to venture in.

There is only one table at dining table height, with the others being more low-slung coffee table types. This made it a bit tricky to consider having what looked like a lovely salad, as you were much higher up than is properly comfortable to eat with a knife and fork. We very happily went for the wraps though and can thoroughly recommend those! Will definitely be looking forward to returning to try some more of the options. Oh ... the service is fabulously smiley and it's a great atmosphere!
  • It's great, especially the minty lemonade which is positively scrumptious. 
  • Lovely addition to Wivenhoe, Give it a go; I recommend the fafafel wrap and the Syrian tea. 
  • Thank you for all your support and feedback. We are working nonstop to ensure all the issues you highlighted are sorted. We have installed a ventilation fan to reduce the steaming of glass, we have ordered (open/close and opening hours sings), printed extra menus, and identified a few necessary changes so far. Some solutions are only delayed as deliveries have been delayed over Christmas and frankly speaking we did not want to delay our opening for these minor issues but we do promise they will all be sorted. 
    We are doing takeaways of everything on offer and so a number of changes to the takeaway boxes had to be undertaken. We hope the improvements will help but we are always happy to hear your suggestions. We will weigh them in and see how they fit with our brand image and store atmosphere. 
    Thanks for commenting on this, we appreciate your feedback... 
    All the best, 
    Fatema and Abdul. 
  • The food was beautiful. 
    On the day we were there (5 January), it was a bit cold (I kept my coat on, although my daughter didn't). But that's not so important.
    Lovely restaurant. Lovely food. 
  • Just shared a takeaway meze platter for two. Best middle eastern food I've had in a long long time, really absolutely delicious! Please stay open as late as possible for those commuting and looking for a tasty quick dinner avoiding the dash round M&S in Liverpool Street! 
  • Lovely food, great atmosphere. We'll definitely be back! 
  • Just shared a takeaway meze platter for two. Best middle eastern food I've had in a long long time, really absolutely delicious! Please stay open as late as possible for those commuting and looking for a tasty quick dinner avoiding the dash round M&S in Liverpool Street! 
    Hi Chris and Rebecca, we are open till 8pm and so most commuters manage to grab a takeaway before we close. However, if you happen to be a bit later than that, we still usually carry out food prep and cleaning after 8 so you can phone earlier in the day requesting your takeaway and we could prepare it and keep it in the fridge for you to pick up :) 
  • Thank you all for your lovely comments. 
    Re heating, we are still not getting it right at certain days, so we seem to be shifting between really hot to cold. We are looking into a solution but hopefully this will be sorted asap
  • Good to see The Olive Branch offering some food up at the Lakeside Theatre ahead of the NT Amadeus screening on 2 February.

• Looks a happy combination to me...   :)
  • Enjoyable hot vegetarian lunchtime special at the Olive Branch today