Wivenhoe Art Gallery - New

A new group on facebook. A place where local artists can exhibit and sell their work easily at no cost.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1264967990244462/
I am hoping this is a good idea, Let me know what you think,  

Comments

• Good idea Daisy. 
  • I may be wrong, but doesn't facebook claim the right to reproduce images uploaded to it for their own purposes?  I think it used to, and that's why I never posted art, only snaps.  But I gave up posting on FB over a year ago, so not up to date with latest policy.  I know I could crawl through the small print, but anyone know already and can thereby save me the magnifying glass?

love the concept of this gallery, unsure about the medium.
  • As far as I can see Steph there is nothing to worry about. I still own my painting and happy to share a photo of it.  
  • ok, I tend to get a bit edgy since I often work in the digital medium, so copyright is a bigger issue.
  • edited December 2016
    Steph, like you I like to understand the small print. There have been quite a few hoaxes regarding FB copyright so I like to check commentary from hoax busting sites such as Snopes from time to time to get some context too. Snopes link I do make a point of setting up private groups for important images, the public setting is too open. The gallery may want to considering having a public page but running as a private group (edited to add the suggestion about using group setting)

• Ta @Dazzer, copyright and ToS are such a minefield right now, since tech has developed far faster than any legislation, or it seems, general understanding of how computers work among those who make the regulations and safeguards.  The EU cookie law being a case in point.  I have thought of a work around though, if instead of posting images direct to facebook, I were to host them on my own site, and then share the link instead, then all facebook would have would be the link, since anybody could share a link to content elsewhere, doing so should not move the images out of my control, any more than publishing them online would do in the first place.
  • Daisy, this is a really good idea.  As artists we can be isolated, and it is good to be able to see what others are doing, and to share good practice.  I would be happy to show my work and receive comments and suggestions
    thanks
    Jean McNeil
  • Steph said:
    Ta @Dazzer, copyright and ToS are such a minefield right now, since tech has developed far faster than any legislation, or it seems, general understanding of how computers work among those who make the regulations and safeguards.  The EU cookie law being a case in point.  I have thought of a work around though, if instead of posting images direct to facebook, I were to host them on my own site, and then share the link instead, then all facebook would have would be the link, since anybody could share a link to content elsewhere, doing so should not move the images out of my control, any more than publishing them online would do in the first place.
    You might want to have a quick scan over how FB use open graph to pull content from sites / pages that are shared, even if you aren't explicitly using open graph mark up.

When they pull an image so they can use it in the article preview that instance of the image is then hosted on their servers. Obviously that shouldn't assign any right to them, but would be annoying if there was something in their t+cs that said words to the effect of 'any image we host we have the rights to'.
  • That's great Jeannie. I will email you with more information.
  • @underthebridge  agreed, but I still think there is likely a difference between me as copyright holder uploading an image to a service (Facebook) and a URL being shared onto their service, that could be done by anyone, and that then Facebook's own code displays as they desire, which may include an image for which I have copyright.  I think in the second case there is no explicit or implicit permission from me in regards to their use of my work.  Although if I do optimise my own site for URLs posted from it on Facebook to include images then perhaps some kind of implicit permission could be argued.

I find the whole thing a bit of a mine field, and while I support in principle community efforts to promote local art and artists, I am far from convinced that Facebook is the most appropriate service to use, so I'm still undecided about this.  But that is likely mostly since I mainly work in digital media, so posting my art online where it is subject to screengrabs if not direct diwnloading, is a bigger issue than for artists working in physical media.  I'm trying not to be too negative here given I like the idea of such an initiative, but I am quite concerned about the unwanted sideeffects it could cause.
  • There are plenty os sites on facebook that being used for selling. It is a very useful way to exhibit my work, Thank you however for your concerns.
  • There is also now a Wivenhoe Creatives FB group: