Network Rail Closures

Email I received from Network Rail: Paget Road still closing despite responses to survey!

Dear all,

This email is to provide you with an update on Network Rail’s Anglia Level Crossing Proposals.  We had a good response to the consultation in September / October on the preferred options.  As a result, we are making some amendments to our proposals for some of the level crossings in the programme, to take the feedback into account. 

Network Rail is therefore currently doing a “public information update” for the significantly affected public level crossings (i.e. those where there will be significant changes made to the solution). 

An information pack for each of the three Transport and Works Act Order areas (namely, for Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Essex & Other Authorities) is available on the project website: www.networkrail.co.uk/anglialevelcrossings.  

The information packs provide details of our latest proposals for the level crossings which have been significantly changed within each TWAO area, as a result of the feedback received from the public and stakeholders during the consultation. 

Also, due to the volume of responses received for the C06 Barrington Road level crossing, a specific public information event for C06 will be held at Foxton Village Hall on Wednesday 14th December, 2.00pm-7.00pm.  Your attendance would be welcome and appreciated.  The address is: Foxton Village Hall & Sports Pavilion, Hardman Road, Cambridge, CB22 6RN.  Please note that no consultation events will be undertaken with the exception of the one for C06 Barrington Road.  

Best wishes,

Mott MacDonald Ltd

On behalf of Network Rail

Comments

• Anglesea Road, to the best of my knowledge,has not been taken up by the council or any other public body. So the changes outlined appear to be based on a false premise. Network Rail can't introduce changes on what is,effectively, private property. Which is what the developers who built the barrier discovered when they wanted to make access easier for themselves. 
    We all know what is going on here. We also know what 'consultation' means in situations like this. 
  • Bye bye crossing :-( 
  • the Paget Road pack states "fifty questionnaire responses received" 

- this feels ridiculously low given the level of interest on this forum.  And surely some people came across the questionnaire independently of this forum?  And, given that all the percentages were taken from a sample of 50, the 2% agreement means 1 person only agreed with their plans!  Sounds far less convincing when you state 1 person, rather than 2% of stakeholders (though that is clear enough too!).

- there is also no explanation of why the conclusion that the crossing must close is still being proposed, despite the consultation data giving 49/50 against this option.  A line stating that other factors were also taken into account is meaningless without futher data and explanation.  Merely stating that other factors existed, and even detailing that these included health and safety concerns (despite the report including data of no near misses or worse in recent years) is not justification for a conclusion contradicting the data presented. 
  • Have other people received the email that Dilly had?? I haven't.
  • Nope ... me neither.
  • Nope, nor me either, and I live beside the crossing.

The last email I received from Network Rail was on 2nd October with an ID  number for my response

Sal  
  • I submitted written & electronic comments, and have also had no notification.
    Perhaps our councillors could help explain exactly how we're being 'railroaded'...?
  • Our councillors are normally brilliant. But there does seem to be a singular silence on this issue. 
    And, at the risk of repeating myself and stating the obvious, there is an agenda here, as far as Network Rail is concerned, that is apparently oblivious to empirical evidence. 
    This is still to be resisted. 
  • People are just fading a bit on it because its dragging on.

As long as people wake up again to do their formal objections in the spring!

We will also need to get Bernard then to press the Minister for a public inquiry (just e'd Cyril on that). Most of the crossings elsewhere in Essex do not seem to be subject to much (or any) opposition, so there won't be a BIG public inquiry.
  • I still can't get over the statement that there were fifty responses to the consultation questionnaire.  It feels so small.  But I don't have any really experience of what numbers to expect for this sort of thing.  Though it is a bit worrying too that not everyone (myself included) have received the email update... makes me wonder whether some data were lost in transmission.

Anyone know a bit more about such what figures one might expect, or perhaps I have read the report wrong?  I am curious about all this, it feels so odd.
  • Network Rail are renowned for their robust practices. They will always adopt a combative attitude but try to disguise it by dressing it up with an almost meaningless consultation process which they ignore if it doesn't suit them. They take the view that they are bigger and know better than everyone else and depend on others 'just giving up'. Persistence is the only way to get Network Rail to change their minds or be reasonable.
  • edited December 2016
    dilly said:

Email I received from Network Rail: Paget Road still closing despite responses to survey!

Dear all,

This email is to provide you with an update on Network Rail’s Anglia Level Crossing Proposals.  We had a good response to the consultation in September / October on the preferred options.  As a result, we are making some amendments to our proposals for some of the level crossings in the programme, to take the feedback into account. 

Network Rail is therefore currently doing a “public information update” for the significantly affected public level crossings (i.e. those where there will be significant changes made to the solution). 

An information pack for each of the three Transport and Works Act Order areas (namely, for Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Essex & Other Authorities) is available on the project website: www.networkrail.co.uk/anglialevelcrossings.  

The information packs provide details of our latest proposals for the level crossings which have been significantly changed within each TWAO area, as a result of the feedback received from the public and stakeholders during the consultation. 

Also, due to the volume of responses received for the C06 Barrington Road level crossing, a specific public information event for C06 will be held at Foxton Village Hall on Wednesday 14th December, 2.00pm-7.00pm.  Your attendance would be welcome and appreciated.  The address is: Foxton Village Hall & Sports Pavilion, Hardman Road, Cambridge, CB22 6RN.  Please note that no consultation events will be undertaken with the exception of the one for C06 Barrington Road.  

Best wishes,

Mott MacDonald Ltd

On behalf of Network Rail

Dilly, do you have an email addressfor Network rail?  I would like to email them. Many thanks, Sal
    Edited to add Network Rail
  • What is Mott MacDonald Ltd?

• I was told at the last consultation, by a representative of network rail, that 50 responses is a big turnout. I believe one of (if not) the highest in essex.
  • At 23.26hrs this evening a train passed the Paget Road crossing blowing a two tone horn. I thought they had to blow a single tone horn and only between the hours of 07.00hrs to 22.00hrs? Anyone know?
  • thanks @andrea - it seemed small given how much debate happened on here, but it was just my gut reaction.  Mind you, if it is a big turnout, then all the more reason why should explain why their proposed action contradicts 49 out of those 50 opinions.
  • Quentin said:
    What is Mott MacDonald Ltd?

They are a large Consulting Engineering company specializing in Civil Engineering and Construction projects who also have a railway consulting division.
  • I noticed a train blew its horn again well after 11 last night, outwith the 'noise curfew'.
    More softening up...?
  • Quentin said:
    What is Mott MacDonald Ltd?

Representatives of the company were present at the consultation event we attended. They were asking particularly about 'alternative crossing' improvements, such as Anglesea Rd and the railway bridge footway/pavement and asking which (of the two inadequate alternative proposals!) would be most acceptable.

We've not had an email either.
  • Well, WHERE are our councillors on this?
  • As predicted Network Rail have no intention of listening to the views of our community. Back in June (see link) they told us whatever the consultation brings up they will be closing the Paget Road crossing as it is heavily used.

http://www.wivenhoeforum.co.uk/discussion/comment/45541/#Comment_45541

• Re 'Where are our Councillors'. Cyril Liddy is the person in charge on this front (by agreement with WTC) and all is in hand! [I have spent a lot of time on it myself too!]. Most of the argument, if we get a public inquiry,  will be technical and, given that we know that they intend to take no notice of the views of The People at large anyway, there is no real need for lots of visible public anger, or for others to be actively involved,  at the moment.

In any case Wivenhoe has already made a lot more audible noise than anywhere else in Essex!

(Compare Harwich where a crossing used by three times as many people as ours is only producing don't care from local Cllrs).

Bernard Jenkin is unconvinced by NR's 'logic'.

Next action period is when they publish the draft orders in 'early 2017'.

Re 0700-2200, they are instructed to sound the horn at ANY time if a person is observed at
    the crossing.

Mott McDonald are a wellknown national firm of consultants who are doing the noddy stuff for NR on this closures programme. Wastes more money than doing it yourself!
  • Thanks Peter: that's reassuring to know.  However,the same train blew its horn again last night at the same time, so I suspect it's to do with a driver who is blissfully unaware of the 11-7 silence, rather than the same person crossing at exactly the same time each night...?
    Any idea who we should contact to ask him gently to desist?
  • Thanks Peterkay standing by,  should massive displays of public anger need mobilising 
  • Shoulder to shoulder with you there, Dazzer!
  • edited December 2016
    Rules on night time use of horns have changed (from 10th December). Drivers should now only not use their horns from midnight to 6am, rather than 11pm to 7am as previously. Apparently this is because most near-miss accidents happened between 11pm & midnight and 6am & 7am.

There's a FAQ document about this available at http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/1030.aspx by clicking on 'Read frequently asked questions on Night Time Quiet Period adjustments'.
  • Thank you Thomas  :)

• Sorry I knew the change to midnight-0600 was going to come in shortly but hadn't heard it had already just started. The page on the NR site about it isn't loading today!
  • So it's a case of 'one size fits all' re. horn use, rather than how appropriate it might be.  It also very conveniently subjects the sleeping population to another two hours of disturbance: excellent leverage if you're pushing to close all your crossings...   :(
  • On a tangent slightly, I notice from Network Rail figures recently published that Wivenhoe Station usage has increased by about 2000 again this year. 

Maybe the pay-off we should be looking for in return for the crossing closure would be 2 off-peak trains per hour between Colchester and Clacton. With AGA currently drawing-up plans of the new service it's the perfect time to campaign for it.