Off the Rails Winter Exhibition

edited December 2016 in Wivenhoe Galleries
We've just installed this wonderfully eclectic collection at the station: 

Booking Hall Cabinets

Installations by artist-musician Fiona Harmon: ‘The materials I use for artwork are found in the waterways of Nth East Essex, mostly driftwood and bits of broken boats, washers and rusty metal. I don’t weather the wood or saw or manipulate the pieces to fit: if they don’t fit in the form I find them in, then I don’t use that piece in my work.
These bits of scrap all have a history, a journey they have been on and they remind me of the shipbuilders, shipyard and sailors that used to be on the river. Sadly, I know only two fishermen in a village that used to have many, and the shipyard is no more. So in some way this is my homage to them.’
To purchase a piece: fionaharmon.wix.com/fionaharmon

Platform 1: Poetry cabinet

“An Essex Calendar” by Wivenhoe Artist Hilary Lazell and poet-writer-musician Martin Newell: Illustrations of twelve verses, take the viewer through the months of the year.   Essex is a very beautiful county, if anyone cares to take the byways and pathways rather than the motorways. Maybe this calendar could help us all to slow down for a while, see what is right in front of our eyes and realise that it is worth taking the time to enjoy it.

Platform 2: Crab & Winkle Gallery

Photographs of Wivenhoe Station in Bygone Days from John Stewart’s Memories Collection

This exhibition is curated by George and Charmaine McKissock

For contributions, more information on artists and to view previous displays please see our blog http://offtherailswivenhoe.blogspot.co.uk/