Hmmm, its a Bentley
There's a rather grand residence still there, sits back from the High Street behind walls .... has a Rolls Royce or Bentley parked there ... presumably that's part of the former Hall???
Gardeners cottage has been described as, and does have columns to the south elevation
Wivenhoe Hall was built initially by John De Vere, 12th Earl of
Oxford, in the 1440s, and was considerably extended in about 1485 when 80,000
bricks were commissioned. This made it a far larger Hall than anyone
At the height of the family’s fortunes, around the year 1500, the
Hall would have had a staff of 48 people. It would have been a building
larger than that at Layer Marney. This would have been at a time when
the population of Wivenhoe would have been little more than 200 people
and a time really before Wivenhoe’s reputation for ship-building and
fishing had become established.
By the early 1600s, much of the Hall had disappeared leaving that part which was eventually sold by auction in 1927. The auction of this estate, and before it that of Wivenhoe House on the other side of the High Street with all of its 45 acres to the east of the High Street in 1860, led to Wivenhoe as we now now it.