This was the seat of the De-Vere family in the 16th century.

edited December 2016 in Wivenhoe History Group
Wivenhoe Hall in all it's glory in the High Street.  It is said the cellars were of Norman origin.  The North wing dates from the 1560's.  The hall burnt down in 1927 .

Source: tag:blogger.com,1999:blog-6601466799143014909.post-8855433885663010058

Comments

• Where was wivenhoe hall situated?

• South prospect of Wivenhoe in 1734, with Wivenhoe Hall on the west

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/essex/vol10/pp281-282

I'm not sure of the exact location, but I think I'm right in saying that the grounds are essentially what became the King George V Field. 

The Georgian Summerhouse can still be seen next to the Congregational Church and I believe the disused building opposite the Co-op on the old Cedric's site was the Victorian Gatehouse.

More information available on the Wivenhoe's History Website

http://www.wivenhoehistory.org.uk/content/category/topics/places-buildings/wivenhoe-hall-estate
  • There was a fire there but essentially the Wivenhoe Hall Estate was broken into lots and sold off at auction in the mid 1900,s. I have a copy of the Auctioneers particulars, if any one is interested. Of particular interest to anyone living on the west side of the High Street between De Vera and Station roads, because all of that land was part of the estate.
  • edited December 2016
    There's a rather grand residence still there, sits back from the High Street behind walls .... has a Rolls Royce or Bentley parked there ... presumably that's part of the former Hall???

• Hmmm, its a Bentley

• RobH said:
    There's a rather grand residence still there, sits back from the High Street behind walls .... has a Rolls Royce or Bentley parked there ... presumably that's part of the former Hall???

That's the summer house.
  • Does that have column at the front?
  • Gardeners cottage has been described as, and does have columns to the south elevation

• The Wivenhoe History Group's first public lecture in 2013 was about Wivenhoe Hall and the De Vere family. This talk covered their impact of the De Vere's on Wivenhoe in the 1400s and 1500s.

Wivenhoe Hall was built initially by John De Vere, 12th Earl of Oxford, in the 1440s, and was considerably extended in about 1485 when 80,000 bricks were commissioned. This made it a far larger Hall than anyone today realises.

At the height of the family’s fortunes, around the year 1500, the Hall would have had a staff of 48 people. It would have been a building larger than that at Layer Marney.  This would have been at a time when the population of Wivenhoe would have been little more than 200 people and a time really before Wivenhoe’s reputation for ship-building and fishing had become established.

By the early 1600s, much of the Hall had disappeared leaving that part which was eventually sold by auction in 1927. The auction of this estate, and before it that of Wivenhoe House on the other side of the High Street with all of its 45 acres to the east of the High Street in 1860, led to Wivenhoe as we now now it. 

The text of the talk is on the WHG web site: click here

Bricks found under the top end of the KGV indicate that Wivenhoe Hall extended a long way into the land we now call KGV Playing Field.  Arthur Worthington who used to live in a bungalow at the bottom of De Vere Close backing onto the KGV, found a brick cellar under his garden. The story goes that he saw bottles in it but chose to close it up! Not sure I believe the story 'cos I know what I would have done.  

• And I know what Arthur would have done. He used to be a mink farmer!!
  • He had a very colourful life
  • Hello Greenback. Did you know Arthur Worthington? I knew him only a little. In 1959 he sold the land to the Scouts & Guides at a cheap price to allow them to build their Hall. It was always difficult trying to have a conversation with Arthur 'cos he was bit deaf. Could you possibly write what you know about him for the WHG web site?  His picture is on this page Click here