Colne Radio Crowd Funder - Help!

edited June 2016 in Colne Radio

Colne Radio has now launched the crowd funder campaign to help the station broadcast on FM. We need to raise at least £3,000 over the next two weeks to make this a reality.

Ofcom has put faith in the volunteer station by awarding it a community radio licence. The funds are now needed to secure the transmitter and to bring the studio up to FM broadcast standard.

The idea of the crowd funder is that you can kindly donate anything from £3 to £5,000, and receive a reward in return. We have also had feedback from some very kind folk who want to donate, but not receive a reward. We have factored this into the donation options.

The Board and crowd funder team have been working on the campaign intensively for the past couple of months. We are incredibly grateful to the many local people who have already helped us by appearing in the crowd funding video.

Any money that you can donate will truly be appreciated. You can also help by simply spreading the message. Please do follow Colne Radio on Facebook and Twitter, and share our updates amongst your networks.

This will hopefully also be a campaign that will help the station to grow. We genuinely want people to feel involved and part of the station. By going FM we will be able to have a larger reach to help promote the work of community groups and organisations.

We know that £3,000 is a tall ask. The alternative is to do nothing and the station will stagnate.

Here's the link to our crowd funder page, plus there's some background on the new Colne Radio website.

Thank you.

#FundColneRadio

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Not a bad start - we've reached the 10% figure with just over £300 raised for the FM transmitter on the first day. Many thanks to some of the forum members who have very kindly pledged some money.

Still a long way to go if we are to meet the target within the two week deadline...

• Well this was unexpected - we have leaped to £918. There are some very, very generous people out there. We would love to hit the £1,000 target by the end of the first day and take some of the pressure off the next fortnight. Plus I want to watch the football to be honest...

Thank you :)

#FundColneRadio

• We're £17 short of reaching £1,000 on Day 1 of #FundColneRadio. Send me to bed happy ;) http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/colneradio
  • £1,000 figure now reached - only another £2,000 to enable Colne Radio to broadcast on FM. Many, many thanks to some very kind forum folk who have been chipping in. The crowd funder has been set up so that you can donate anything from £3 to £5,000.

• Righto - we're currently up to £1,264 - 42% of the target after only two days. Thank you so much for the generosity shown so far. We're under no illusions though that crowd funders generate interest at the start. We really need to keep the momentum going for the fortnight if this is to succeed.

As a reminder: Ofcom has granted the volunteer based Colne Radio a community licence to broadcast on FM. The money is now needed to make this happen. We will use it to secure the mast, and to bring the studio up to FM broadcast standard.

The planning for the crowd funder has been clear from the start: we want local groups to feel part of this, and not just put money in the hat. If Colne Radio can broadcast on FM, then we really hope that we can work with local organisations to help promote their causes.

One of the rewards that we are offering is for non-commercial local groups to have a ten minute plug of their work on the station. This can be secured for only £25.

Thank you for your help.

#FundColneRadio.

• edited June 2016
    We are getting very close to reaching 50% of our target. An amazing £1,424 has so far been very kindly pledged - 46% of the £3,000 needed to become an FM station. We certainly weren't expecting this after just three days into the two week campaign. Thank you so much to all those that have become part of this project.

If the station can broadcast on FM then we will be able to develop further our partnership with the University. We currently work with the Multimedia Journalism course on campus. Here is course tutor Jonanthan Baker to explain a little more.

#FundColneRadio

• BOOM! We've just gone past the 50% figure - THANK YOU!

Now for the remaining £1,500 to help Colne Radio take up the Ofcom offer of an FM licence.

Would any very kind local business like to have naming rights for our studio? £750...

#FundColneRadio

• Has Moving Image been asked to show that rather good fundraising video pre-film?
  • Amazing effort already. I'm starting my fundraising efforts tonight.
  • @Marika - great idea! Rather good is stretching it; iPhone point and shoot is more like it. All one take wonders though.

@Mike - SUPERB. Ears Wide Open deserves an FM audience. I know you take a lot of time in putting the show together.
  • I can say the same for Alecmosphere...you never know what might turn up in the show !  I wonder where Iceferno finds his music, and I'm his mum !
  • Jason said:
    @Marika - great idea! Rather good is stretching it; iPhone point and shoot is more like it. All one take wonders though.
    To quote: "It doesn't matter if you write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly"
    ;-)
  • A final word for this evening: if you can't support us financially, then please do our share our message through your networks. We are posting updates about the crowd funder frequently on Facebook and Twitter. As well as helping the station to go FM, we are also keen to grow greater awareness of Colne Radio in the community as part of this campaign.

Thank you.

#FundColneRadio

• Just thought i'd let you all know that this friday The Waiting Room in Colchester are hosting a fundraiser event for Colne Radio, with CR DJs from 8pm - 1am alongside some amazing indian street food from the Gamekeeper's Daughter. Should be a good night!
  • Umm ...I might be more inclined to put my hand in my pocket if it was clear what the community benefit is. 
    How many listeners?
    Do you offer a chance for young people to get tech or broadcast experience?
    Are there other benefits to the whole community of  Wiv?
    As a fundraiser myself I always try to make it clear what giving money will do...it would be nice to know if I and others who don't know this project are included in the appeal for funds.

• edited June 2016
    @Horsey1 The current audience varies across different shows. As the station is currently only broadcast online then the reach is limited. One of the aims for our ambitions in FM broadcasting is to increase the reach. We are often told by people that they would be more inclined to listen if the station was available on their radio.

Young (and old) people can of course receive tech or broadcast experience. We have qualified industry professionals that are able to offer this. It is a requirement before we let volunteers broadcast that they complete a course addressing legal issues.

We also have a partnership with the Multimedia Journalism course at the University. The students have been working this week on a referendum broadcast.

The benefits to the wider community are one of publicity and awareness. The planning for the crowd funder has very much focussed around the idea of ownership. We don't just want people to put their hands in their pockets - although that would be welcome... We want local groups to consider supporting us, so that we can build a platform that will be able to help them in the long term.

The money that we are crowd sourcing will be used to secure the FM transmitter mast, and to bring the studio up to FM broadcast standard.

Thank you for your interest.
  • All,

If there are any people who would like to contribute to this worthy cause, but are not happy using the Internet to transfer money, WTC will accept cheques made payable to Colne Radio, and placed in a sealed envelope, and delivered to the Council Offices.  These will be passed to Colne Radio for inclusion in the 'Crowd Funding' totals.

Please ensure that your contact details are put inside the envelope, and note that we cannot accept or handle cash in any circumstances.  WTC is only acting as a post box.

Also please note that the organisers would prefer you to use the Crowd Funding option.

Thanks.

MikeNewton

• @MikeNewton - this is very kind of WTC. Thank you so much.
  • Horsey1 said:
    Umm ...I might be more inclined to put my hand in my pocket if it was clear what the community benefit is. 
    How many listeners?
    Do you offer a chance for young people to get tech or broadcast experience?
    Are there other benefits to the whole community of  Wiv?
    As a fundraiser myself I always try to make it clear what giving money will do...it would be nice to know if I and others who don't know this project are included in the appeal for funds.

The potential benefits for all of Wivenhoe are absolutely enormous and are really only limited by one's imagination.
    If the enthusiasm is there, the sky is the limit.
  • The Multimedia Journalism course gets a brief article on the Gazette website:

Journalism students hit the airwaves

Good luck to all concerned on this, how listeners? +1.
  • I've been trying to find the students' production on the Colne Radio Listen Again feature (not there) and via the Uni link to that course but haven't had any success. Is it available?
  • @Marika - not yet. I'll give Mr Listen Again a nudge...
  • We've taken a bit of a breather over the past few days with people having their attention elsewhere... But the crowd funder is still running, and we really need to try and step up the campaign.

We have just over a week to try and raise the remaining £1,500 which will enable Colne Radio to broadcast on FM to the NE Essex area. Pledges of £3 and upwards are available. Plus WTC has very kindly offered to accept cheques at the Town Council office.

We'd like to plug again the offer we have for local community groups. For £25 we will offer in return a ten minute interview where you can promote and share the work that your organisation carries out.

Many thanks to the many who have already supported us.

#FundColneRadio.

• mikep said:
    Just thought i'd let you all know that this friday The Waiting Room in Colchester are hosting a fundraiser event for Colne Radio, with CR DJs from 8pm - 1am alongside some amazing indian street food from the Gamekeeper's Daughter. Should be a good night!
    Thanks, @mikep for your post...expect it was the best publicity for the event, just as timely as the notice given by The Waiting Room.

We went last night, were there from 8ish-9:30.  All a bit dead, apart from those going for the meal.  Where was everyone ?

• Gloria said:
    mikep said:
    Just thought i'd let you all know that this friday The Waiting Room in Colchester are hosting a fundraiser event for Colne Radio, with CR DJs from 8pm - 1am alongside some amazing indian street food from the Gamekeeper's Daughter. Should be a good night!
    Thanks, @mikep for your post...expect it was the best publicity for the event, just as timely as the notice given by The Waiting Room.

We went last night, were there from 8ish-9:30.  All a bit dead, apart from those going for the meal.  Where was everyone ?

Hi Gloria - it was all cobbled together rather short notice as we had a spot free on Friday!

It was a great evening in the end, things tend to liven up after the food has finished. Thanks to everyone who came along, and look out for some future collaborations :)

• edited June 2016
    One more week of me nagging on this thread and asking for help. Or it could end sooner if we raise the £3,000 before next Monday morning when the crowd funder comes to a close ;)

The show of support so far has been very humbling. We have raised 56% of our total. We still need £1,318 so that we can broadcast on FM, having been given a community radio licence by Ofcom.

The crowd funder still has some pretty special rewards available. For £750 a local business can have naming rights on the studio for a year. Or maybe you want a more personal touch? Martin Newell has very kindly agreed to write a personal poem for one lucky person if they pledge this amount. This is a highly unique offer!

There are also options on the crowd funder simply for donations if you don't want to receive a reward. Plus WTC has offered to serve as a collection point for any cheques in a sealed envelope.

Please do ask any questions, and please do share our social updates. We have been very active on Facebook and Twitter in trying to spread the message.

Thank you.

#FundColneRadio

• edited June 2016
    Thanks for the pledges that have come in so far today. We are now just £288 short of reaching £2,000. It would be wonderful to reach this by the end of the day.

For £250 we are giving local businesses the chance to host an hour long Desert Island Discs. You provide the music; an experienced presenter will interview you and help to publicise your business.

Thank you.

#FundColneRadio

• edited June 2016
    We now have just five days remaining for the Colne Radio crowd funder. The current total of £1,862 has taken us to 62% of our target of £3,000. We still need to raise a further £1,138 between now and Monday morning if we are to become an FM station.

Help!

The support so far has been quite incredible with some very generous offers. We put the crowd funder together with the aim of rewards being offered in return for financial help. We have found that a number of very kind people simply want to make a donation. This is also an option for our crowd funder.

As a reminder: Ofcom has shown faith in the volunteer run Colne Radio. We have been given a community radio licence that will allow us to broadcast in the North East Essex area. £3,000 is now needed to make this happen! The money will be used to secure the mast and to bring the studio up to FM broadcast standard.

Please do consider making a pledge - no matter how small. The crowd funder starts at just £3, rising to £5,000. The rewards have also been put in place to help us create partnerships. We really want the local community to back Colne Radio and feel that they can become part of our story.

And so five days to go - we can get over the line together...

#FundColneRadio

• Another £63 and we hit £2,000. By tonight, anyone please?

I can then rest a little easier before thinking about the remaining £1,000 needed by next Monday...

#FundColneRadio

• @jason, not that I know that/if any cheques have been left with WTC but I was wondering how that would help towards the crowd funding target??

Am I right in thinking that it is the on line target that has to be reached before the campaign is declared successful and the pledges are taken?

I ask, because I know of a couple of local organisations who might want to contribute but only have cheque books, no credit cards.
    Would it be better if a member of such an organisation used a personal card and was reimbursed?