New shop

I have been thinking for a while about trying to find suitable premises and opening a small shop in Wivenhoe and selling DIY type products similar to the old Jacks in town and realise I would be up against the internet and likes of Screw fix etc. but would have  the friendly face and products on show and customers would not have to leave Wivenhoe. Any comments would be appreciated good or bad

Comments

• I would use it Malcolm, especially as B&Q looks like it is going to move!
  • Agree with Sads79. Might be worth gaining feedback of what people would find handy for you to sell. I'm forever buying sealant and paint brushes!

I think its a great idea.
  • DragonJon, thank you and yes it would ne helpful to know what products people may want. I was looking at a complete mixture including household products, toilet paper, toothpaste etc, DIY including screw, fixings small tools, stationary and the list could go on. Please advise what you would feel would be suitable or required.
  • I think it's a good idea. I'd use it.

Screwfix is good, but no use if you are in the middle of a job and you run out of something.
  • malcolmh said:
    DragonJon, thank you and yes it would ne helpful to know what products people may want. I was looking at a complete mixture including household products, toilet paper, toothpaste etc, DIY including screw, fixings small tools, stationary and the list could go on. Please advise what you would feel would be suitable or required.
    Personally i wouldn't invest too much into household products, especially as the village post office may well stock that stuff soon.

Other than sky hooks, tartan paint and spirit level bubble, i will have a think.
  • Loved having Mallets shop in East St so i am definitely in favour.
  • Thumbs up from me. :)

• Reason I suggested a variation of goods is the fact I did not want to rely on one set of products and have wanted to do this for years and not had the courage but I feel the time is right, problem will be finding premises at reasonable rent
  • There's that old second hand shop vacant on station road, no idea who owns that and if its available. Or the old veg shop opp Indian.

Best of luck anyhoo.
  • yacht varnish
    teak oil
    silicon bronze screws
    rope on a reel, cut to length
    shackles

paint mixing machine (no idea how much these cost though...)
    Wall paper steamer for rent (or buy)
    cheap paint brushes 
    White spirit substitute (the stuff you can wash down the sink)
    silicon sealant
    caulk
    polyfilla
    putty knives

Screen wash
    Car shampoo
    WD40

Latest generation LED light bulbs, various fittment, especially GU10, E27 and B22d

• There's a really lovely shop in Tiptree that I wish was in Wivenhoe.  If you had some of the smaller items for kitchen and garden I think they would do well...no need for the bigger stuff.  Have a look at their website for ideas:
    http://www.stainesandbrights.co.uk/

I miss the small-to-medium plastic plant troughs and pots for shrubs that Jacks had. Camping items were useful, too.

I hope to see your shop in future, Malcolm! 
  • Agree with Gloria.  Brights of Tiptree is excellent - I bulk buy ironing water!  Brights is, however, huge inside but excellent idea to have a look on their website.  I would definitely use.  Good luck.
  • thank you for all the comments and advise and I am adding to my list of products, please keep them coming.
  • Silver line tools, cheap silicone 151 and similar sealants. Glues. Nuts bolts screws. Roofing sealant. Compost. Light bulbs, gardening accessories. Paint, filler, door furniture. Electrical fittings. Glass, bug zappers. A range of lithium powered led torches like thorfire etc. Printer paper.car cleaning accessories. Incinerator. Just a few things
  • Great idea. Suggest you go and talk to the owners of "Fork Handles' in Earls Colne High St. Brilliant shop with a wide range of products and efficient ordering system for non stock items which seems to be going from strength to strength. Their latest innovation is paint mixing and yes, he is endorsed by the Two Ronnies. They also have a shop in Coggeshall. 
  • Thank you and seem to be getting good feedback I just need to try and find property as I want it in Wivenhoe otherwise I am going up against the big guns and idea if local then people would not need to leave village.
  • Looks like the property in Station Road is under offer, but it gives you an idea.
    http://propertylink.estatesgazette.com/property-details/6070171-1a-station-road-wivenhoe-co7-9dh

• Hi, I´ve just moved to Wivenhoe and it definately needs a DIY / Garden / Household shop but to incorporate local trades and handymen would help to sustain it. The large chains don´t stock the odd items that you need. All the above suggestions are what people need so the more input from people the better. I´m an electrician with 35 years in the trade but can also turn my hands to other trades so if other locals got involved the shop could offer all services. If you go ahead or are planning a meeting to discuss things, i´m in. Local community seems to be the way forward here with the Repair Cafe and The Bike kitchen getting good support.
  • All for it, a car journey each weekend saved hopefully! Best of luck. Perfect timing with b&q closing too.
  • I wish you the best of luck.......

However running a new business has its challenges. 

The costs of stock, rent, rates, accounts, bank charges, staff, paye, Ni, the list is endless and goes on.......and on....

It's lovely working for yourself but many sleepless nights are a given. 

Personally I give the big chains a miss as much as I can, because I'm prepared to pay a bit more for a more personal service. 

Hope you achieve your dreams.

Jane x
  • Thank you the kind comments
  • Gloria said:
    Looks like the property in Station Road is under offer, but it gives you an idea.
    http://propertylink.estatesgazette.com/property-details/6070171-1a-station-road-wivenhoe-co7-9dh

Says London is 48 mins away. Maybe Romford but not Liverpool Street 
  • Maybe if you are doing diy and hardware Malcolm, perhaps a tool hire department (for small and medium - sized tools if space is at a premium) might also be worthwhile.

If you stock stuff that people are likely to buy regularly, it is a lower risk strategy than hoping people might buy bigger items that are more price sensitive.

At present B&Q is 4 miles away and probably a 30 minute round trip - on a good day. Even if you value your time at just the minimum wage rate then you are taking a minimum of £3.50 worth of time and fuel going to B&Q. For that price difference there probably isn't much you would be selling that would make a trip to B&Q worthwhile for the same product.

Once we had a builder who took an hour out (with his mate, i might add!) to go and fetch a (non-urgent) bag of shingle from B&Q which could have been delivered for a fiver. I could have sacked him on the spot for being such a dipstick while I was paying him a day rate, but he was related...

Makes you think, doesn't it? People don't seem to put a value on their time.

Good luck Malcolm!
  • Staines and Brights in Tiptree is worth a look for what you might offer, which seems to be pretty much everything that isn't edible.  I go over to the excellent butchers next door to it every few weeks and usually pick something up from them while I am there. 

That said, they are opposite a reasonable sized Tesco, which I know did wonders for the butchers when it opened and may have helped the hardware store - the Tesco has a big car park and is enough to draw punters in from the many local villages.  There is no real need to go to the next big store (Sainsburys at Stanway).

As lovely as a local hardware shop would be, I would have serious reservations about the number of locals and the prospects of pulling in sufficient people from Alresford, Brightlingsea, Elmstead etc. to make the shop viable in Wivenhoe. 

• Hiring out equipment like a big shredder, mini rotavator and other garden electricals that you only need occasionally would be very popular I think. 
  • Hire out a machine to shampoo carpets. 
  • I would only temper the tool hire bit with the fact there's a hire place just off Keeler's Lane - I've only just found about it because of the diversion, mind!
  • I am all for it Malcolm and would use and support a shop such as this.  We usually run out of or forget the most silly but crucial little things in the middle of DIY jobs so this would be very handy indeed.  It would also benefit those locally who do not have their own mode of transport.  The timing is perfect with B&Q on the move, however, we usually can't find the most important items in B&Q when we most need them anyway...

I hope things work out for you.