Surgery opening hours?

edited April 2014 in Health Centre
On the website for the Dr's surgery it states they are open 8am to 6.30 mon-fri but I have tried a couple of times this afternoon and it just says they are closed but not when they will be open again. Is the website wrong?

Comments

• I'm sure they close for lunch.
  • Tried just now 4.50 and still closed so don't think it will be lunch. Any other ideas?
  • Must be a telephone issue then
  • As far as I know they do not shut for lunch. Are you trying 824447 ? If so it must be a telephone fault
  • Lofty - I have just been up the road to see a friend and checked notices on the door.  Sure enough there was a notice saying it was closed as it was a TRAINING DAY!!  
  • Hope the Hospitals don't follow suit!!
  • edited April 2014
    Absolutely Degusting. Another day added to the waiting times. They should lose all their funding for the day. Whats up with training on a Saturday if they cant split the training. Not even a recorded message !!
  • Training has to be done, but at least amend the message.
  • Actually, Logical, it can only have been for half a day. I was there at 11am and all was perfectly normal. Oh, and they are open on Saturday the second Saturday of every month. Personally, I think our surgery does a tremendous job considering its workload, and I'm very glad they keep up to date with their training!
  • I went to the new surgery at the Barracks near Butt Road this morning. Opened in 2012, it shows what can be done and how poor our facilities are.
  • Alice,

Glad you are happy with half a service and one Saturday morning a month, by appointment only, does not equate to a good service. What happened to the recorded message directing people elsewhere ? Oh and training is done in all businesses but they don't normally completely shut done without notice
  • The new surgery at the Barracks is certainly stunning - my husband went there for a scan - and the difference to our own facilties is beyond doubt. We all deserve better, patients, hardworked staff and doctors and hopefully one day we will all get there. But there should have been a recorded message when the surgery was closed. Patients who ring may be anxious for results or in need of help and some who call may be  confused. Perhaps when the next training session is scheduled this could be borne in mind and a simple, clear explanation given in a pre-recorded message as to why and how long the surgery will remain closed. This is basic business practice.

• Catherine, could you tell me the name of the surgery at the Barracks please.
  • nunhead, the surgery is the Creffield Medical Centre at 15 Cavalry Road, Colchester. There is a website.
  • Thank you, will give them a call.
  • We've been registered with the Creffield Surgery (formerly in Creffield rd) for about 35 years. They let us remain on their list when we moved to Wivenhoe from Colchester in 1986. The journey is well worth it given their high standards of patient care and now, in their new premises, a wide range of services including a pharmacy.

Those who fondly remember Dr Pickering from the Wivenhoe surgery will find him at the Creffield surgery. However, I know someone who tried to register there a couple of years ago and was told their lists were full. But I don't know how things stand now.
  • The half day closure on Wednesday 9th April was because of a North East Essex GP Educational Afternoon which involved all practices in the Colchester and Tendring area closing, not just Wivenhoe. 
    These half day closures happen now and then, there was one last September . According to the surgery management a poster explaining about it had been up in the surgery for over a week. There was an answer phone message explaining that the surgery was closed and in an emergency to contact NHS 111. Cover was provided by the Out of Hours Doctors service for the whole of Colchester and Tendring for the entire afternoon.
    There is usually publicity about the event in the local papers that is added by the local Clinical Commissioning Group.
  • edited April 2014
    We've been registered with the Creffield Surgery (formerly in Creffield rd) for about 35 years. They let us remain on their list when we moved to Wivenhoe from Colchester in 1986. The journey is well worth it given their high standards of patient care and now, in their new premises, a wide range of services including a pharmacy.

Those who fondly remember Dr Pickering from the Wivenhoe surgery will find him at the Creffield surgery. However, I know someone who tried to register there a couple of years ago and was told their lists were full. But I don't know how things stand now.
    From October 2014 the traditional GP practice catchment area will be abolished. So in theory registering at the Creffield Surgery should be easier. But the GP will choose you, as much as you choosing them, according to this Guardian opinion piece:

• So if you are not fairly healthy, stay where you are. Backdoor privatisation.