Fungi of Wivenhoe

edited September 2013 in Wivenhoe Wildlife
With autumn upon us, the fungi season is starting to take off, and this lunchtime the Wildlife Garden again came up with the goods. Growing out of one of the dead elm trunks by the pond is this wonderful pinky, wrinkly toadstool called Rhodotus palmatus, with two common names - Rosy Veincap and Wrinkled Peach. What a stunner - I have never seen it before, and it is considered infrequent in the UK, although widespread in the south east, where of course its substrate of dead elm is most frequent.

If you are interested in fungi, get down there in the next couple of days as those wonderful reticulations tend to fade away as the cap expands, although of course there may be more fruiting bodies to come. Note also the orange fluid exuded from its stem, a characteristic of this unique species - quite literally unique as it is so different to other fungi that it is classified in its own family.

Comments

• I think I saw one on a science fiction book cover. It's a thing of beauty.
  • I went down to the wildlife garden today and spotted some more rosie veincaps and loads of spiders too! plus, one of those loud giant bumble bees, haven't seen one of those for some time now. It was very quiet and peaceful.
  • I would like to go on a course to identify edible fungi. I know there is one that operates in Wrabness Wood. Does anyone know of one nearer?
  • None that I am aware of - and it goes without saying that the tutor must be VERY experienced. I have known several 'fungi experts' who have made themselves very ill with presumed misidentifications. I say 'presumed', but it could be down to imperfect knowledge about the edibility of certain species, some of which affect different folk in different ways, and have all sorts of strange interactions with other food and drink...CONSUMER BEWARE!
  • :-) 

I'm doing a fungi course at Epping Forest on Sunday. Here's the details.

Also - closer to home - there will be a fungi forage day with an expert guide at Highwoods Country Park on 13th October.

At present I only eat stuff I'm absolutely sure I know is safe (so just the easy to identify stuff). Hopefully will be a bit more clued up after the course.
  • Didn't have my camera with me this morning, walking the dog (of course!) There were two magnificent specimens of Parasol mushroom on the edge of KG5 near the logs set up to encourage Stag beetle breeding, or if you like, the bottom west side park bench.
  • These are fungi not of Wivenhoe. In fact, they were fungi of Saffron Walden in November 1976. I've always wondered what they were.

• Hi dud5ers - the one on the left could be a Tricholoma species, and the other a small bracket either Stereum or possibly more likely Coriolus versicolor. Trouble with id from photos is that the fine identification details often cannot be obtained, and certainly not other useful clues such as smell and texture.
  • Not actually a true fungus, these grey blobs on a lawn in the Shipyard are actually a slime mould called Physarum cinereum. Slime moulds are actually bacteria-like single cells, which spend most of their time dispersed in soil, leaf debris etc. But when conditions are just right (temperature, moisture levels etc etc) they send out chemical signals which cause them all to move together and form aggregations within which reproduction takes place, and in this species the visible blobs are the developing fruiting bodies which will go on to produce the spores for the next generation.
  • Not sure, Dud,  but is the one on the right some sort of turkey tail fungus? 

• They all sound plausible to me. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Thanks Hazel...they are running one at Wrabness Wood on Saturday, so I am heading out there.....