Recommendations for Essex coastal wildlife books/dvds

lizliz
edited December 2012 in Wivenhoe Wildlife
Please could the zoologists and biologists, and similar experts here, recommend any books (or DVDs) describing the coastal landscapes of this area accurately - non-fiction or fiction. I'd like to buy/order something like this from the Wivenhoe Bookshop. My favourite so far is Mehalah but it's more evocative than descriptive or informative. Any ideas at all would be brilliant.

Comments

• Suggest you contact Chris Gibson ('Mothman' on this forum) Liz. He's also the author of a free A4 colour booklet by English Nature, titled the 'Essex Coast'. It's a good start point, and I can get one to you if you PM me with contact details?  I personally love 'This Luminous Coast' by Jules Pretty, which the bookshop stocks, but it's a beautifully evocative walking tour round the coastline rather than an accurate description (though with that, and some decent O.S. maps, you'd be well on your way!).
  • Thank you! Will do ... and The Luminous Coast sounds like a perfect title in itself
  • Essex Coast Walk by Peter Caton is pretty good but he does ramble on a bit...

I'll get my coat...
  • Hi Liz - sorry I have not got back to you sooner, but we have been away for the weekend. However, I think Puffin has made the best recommendations. Hopefully you have my booklet by now - if not let me know and I can get one to you. One of my plans is to write something like that which you want, as it doesn't exist at the moment - but that will probably have to be a project for retirement! And that's ten years off...

The Luminous Coast is inded a delightful read, and the Essex Coast Walk is a little more practical as a guide, but that's just about all there is. But if you want a guide to identification of the wildlife of the coastline (from the Baltic to the Mediterranean) you could try the guide at this link http://www.amazon.co.uk/RSPB-Pocket-Nature-Seashore-DK/dp/1405373571/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355244765&sr=1-2. But the last time I looked they had one in stock at the Bookshop, so please support them!!! I wrote it by the way, so would be happy to sign it for you!

Chris

• Chris

Read your booklet on the train to work this morning.  Many thanks to you and whoever left copies at the Station - really informative and very well written.

Tom
  • Many thanks Chris. Yes, I had the booklet already and it is very useful. And it's amazing that such a book doesn't already exist.