Strange Brew on Radio Wivenhoe

edited September 2012 in Colne Radio
Tonight's Strange Brew on Radio Wivenhoe features fuzzy folk from Nick Drake, Roy Harper and Pentangle, mellow tunes from Mazzy Star and Buffy Sainte-Marie, the Cali sounds of Dillard and Clark and the Beach Boys, plus a little psychedelia from the Fleur de Lys and Brazil's tropicalia supergroup Os Mutantes. Taking us up to the present there'll also be songs by Angel Olsen, Jonathan Wilson and Espers, plus a featured album – the brand spanking new release by Melody's Echo Chamber. 

It's starts mellow, then starts to swing, and sometimes takes a turn for the strange – just like a good Friday night. Musically, almost anything could happen.

Listen in from 6-8pm.   

Comments

• edited October 2012
    This evening's Strange Brew radio show (6-8pm) will briefly pay homage to Love Me Do (released 50 years ago today), while also taking in the wonderful and sometimes weird sounds of Shelagh MacDonald, Davey Graham, Vashti Bunyan, Rhinoceros, The Holy Modal Rounders and Martin Denny. We have a new jingle too. Now, that's sold it!
  • Strange Brew is back on Radio Wivenhoe this evening from 6-8pm. Benny Goodman, John Renbourn, Magic Carpet, Incredible String Band and The Oh Sees feature among today's weirdly wonderful mash-up.
  • What an amazing combination; Benny Goodman AND ISB!  What a star...
  • Tomorrow's (Friday's) Strange Brew show on Radio Wivenhoe will involve Wizz Jones, The Watersons, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Gryphon, Muddy Waters and Spacemen 3. Join me from 6-8pm. 
  • And here's a poster we made earlier...
  • Spacemen 3. Trippy.
  • Ahhhh...Gryphon. Wonderful.   It had to happen, following on from ISB!
  • Played them both last night, plus some Steeleye...
  • Strange Brew is coming this evening from 6-8pm online at Radio Wivenhoe - http://www.radiowivenhoe.co.uk - featuring Huddy Leadbetter, Shirley Collins, Nick Drake, Sam Amidon, Gram Parsons, Blind Willie Johnston and... The Bee Gees. Plus all kinds of irreverent exotica in between. 
  • Looking ahead to Friday 30 November, replacing the usual Strange Brew show on Radio Wivenhoe, we have...

Strange Beatles – two hours of wyrd and wonderful Fab Four covers. Listen in from 6-8pm. 

• We're celebrating a whole year of the Strange Brew radio show on Radio Wivenhoe this evening from 6pm. Lots of favourites from the past 12 months including Karen Dalton, Pascal Pinon, John Phillips, Alex Highton, Shirley Collins, Julie Driscoll and Wivenhoe's own Keith Christmas. What could be more festive around here than that?! I might even throw in a Brazilian festive party song too. 

Happy Christmas/Midwinter etc to everyone – and especially to those who've tuned in through 2012. 

Martin
  • Can't recommend this show enough.

It's our very own radio station. Tune in and enjoy.

• A brew in the studio ? I hope not !
  • Hi everyone, 

You might (or might not!) have noticed that Radio Wivenhoe's Strange Brew show isn't weekly as it once was, but I am still putting together a show every 4 weeks. The next is tomorrow at 6pm and brings a typically eclectic mix of folk, psychedelia and rock and roll, with a dash of country, a splash of upcoming artists, a soupçon of exotica and a garnish of old television theme tunes. It shouldn't make sense, but hopefully it does!
  • A musical cornucopia (or should that be gallimaufry?).  Wonderful.
  • A gallimaufry would be good - here's hoping it's not just a hash.
  • Too modest by half...